HDMI not working???

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
HDMI worked when I got Surface in Nov, but tried to use over holidays and no go. I tried two different cables and three tvs one of which was the one it initially worked on. I can plug BB Playbook in and it works fine but Surface doesn't see tv and tv gets no signal. I have looked around at settings, both locations, and I can find nothing that helps. Is there something I'm missing? I have checked in display settings and adjust commonly used mobility settings. Changing second display to any options does not resolve. I have powered off and on with cable connected and yes, I've checked to make sure nothing was in plug. If I had to make an uneducated guess I would say my HDMI output is bad. I don't want to reset unit, but that is my next step and then return for warranty from there. Any help would be appreciated.

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Yeah sounds like you've tried everything. Maybe try the drivers menu and see if the hdmi is installed properly would be the last thing I suggest if you haven't tried that yet. But factory restore was my final suggestion and if it doesn't work, go get yourself a brand new surface :)

HDMI worked when I got Surface in Nov, but tried to use over holidays and no go. I tried two different cables and three tvs one of which was the one it initially worked on. I can plug BB Playbook in and it works fine but Surface doesn't see tv and tv gets no signal. I have looked around at settings, both locations, and I can find nothing that helps. Is there something I'm missing? I have checked in display settings and adjust commonly used mobility settings. Changing second display to any options does not resolve. I have powered off and on with cable connected and yes, I've checked to make sure nothing was in plug. If I had to make an uneducated guess I would say my HDMI output is bad. I don't want to reset unit, but that is my next step and then return for warranty from there. Any help would be appreciated.

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Ps the cables you are currently using are the same one's you got it to work with originally in November right? I had issues with an adapter I bought where I had to shave off some of the plastic to get it to work with the surfaces 21 degree bezel, just thought I would mention that too.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Ps the cables you are currently using are the same one's you got it to work with originally in November right? I had issues with an adapter I bought where I had to shave off some of the plastic to get it to work with the surfaces 21 degree bezel, just thought I would mention that too.

Huge thank you!!! You were right. My dad came clean. He swapped my cable with his because the main cable I have been trying, which was his cheap Amazon special, wouldn't work on his Surface either and my original cable did work on his. He swapped them out a couple of weeks ago when I was over and didn't let me know. Filed down one side and it works like a champ. Glad you said something because I assumed it always stuck out that far. Now I have to go get me another good cable because I won't be getting mine back. 😁 So glad I don't have to reset and return over a cheap cable issue. Thanks again.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Huge thank you!!! You were right. My dad came clean. He swapped my cable with his because the main cable I have been trying, which was his cheap Amazon special, wouldn't work on his Surface either and my original cable did work on his. He swapped them out a couple of weeks ago when I was over and didn't let me know. Filed down one side and it works like a champ. Glad you said something because I assumed it always stuck out that far. Now I have to go get me another good cable because I won't be getting mine back. 😁 So glad I don't have to reset and return over a cheap cable issue. Thanks again.

Wow! Sneaky Dad!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

VidJuhEffex

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Filing mine down did the trick too. A bit disappointed that I can't output to my living room TV since it is a couple years old 720p plasma. Every app I launch says the resolution is too low. Do y'all know it the Microsoft one downres for you?

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Im having the 720P resolution compatibility issue - MS needs to fix this, it is driving me crazy. Why not support a 720P HD resolution from a HDMI out cable. Makes no sense.

doclike

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Got the same problem with my Vivotab RT from Asus.
HDMI worked but it was very crappy. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. Then I bought a new cable and it never worked. Even with the old adapter (which worked short time) I cannot get a signal.

Both cabels work perfectly on my kindle fire hd.

What else to do ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720