Anyone got a WD Live working with surface

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I've seen a WD app on the store, but apparently that's just for hard drive integration. There's nothing that shows for WD Live. You probably access the device in desktop mode in your network settings, but that's about it.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to access it like any other computer, server, NAS, ETC. Make sure you have network Sharing on and open the file explorer. Click on network.

You should be able to brows to it by putting the address in the address bar in explorer "\\servername" or "\\ipaddress"

Also if it has a web portal, you can do that as well from IE...

There should be no app required for such a basic task... Apple has ruin the world to think that you need an app for everything that should be standard...

mpovolo

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, from the desktop etc it works. What I really wished is the Playto function from either the music or videos app worked. The only device it ever sees is xbox, go figure

Rellik66

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I know this is an old post, but I have found an answer!

First, WD TV Live (plus?) does have DLNA support, but I have found it to be a bit dodgy at times.

If it doesn't show up, try searching for it in devices setting page.

Second, unfortunately the WDTVLive isn't "Windows 8 Certified" so "officially" it can't be used with Windows 8 Apps. You can still use the "play to" feature from the desktop though.

BUT! There is a workaround here that works with both RT and regular windows 8. It involves editing the registry so proceed with extreme caution. (This works with any non-8-certified DLNA device BTW)

Now here's my brief experience with various apps:

• Photo app: worked the first time, but I couldn't get it to work on subsequent tries
  • Internet Explorer: Websites must play videos via HTML5. flash does not not work. (the downside to removing the flash whitelist) BTW:You can switch Youtube to HTML5 Here
  • Tunein Radio: Has support, but streaming was tricky
  • Iheartradio: has support, but I couldn't get it to work
Netflix does NOT have support btw, also it appears that any media that depends on DRM doesn't work either.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99