Why are tech review sites always leaning towards Apple products?

MSNY

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Almost every reviewer says the same thing-APPLE HAS MORE APPS! What they dont realize is that alot of them are useless. I think we all can agree that Apple is mostly for entertainment purposes, which it delivers fairly good, but i think the Surface Rt was made for productive purposes, which it delivers effectively.

JHBThree

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Almost every reviewer says the same thing-APPLE HAS MORE APPS! What they dont realize is that alot of them are useless. I think we all can agree that Apple is mostly for entertainment purposes, which it delivers fairly good, but i think the Surface Rt was made for productive purposes, which it delivers effectively.

They don't just say apple has more apps, they say apple has more QUALITY apps that consumers actually WANT.

As for entertainment: the iPad is actually a fairly good productivity tool, especially when coupled with iCloud and Dropbox. Can it do everything that office can? No. But it doesn't have to.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
but i think the Surface Rt was made for productive purposes, which it delivers effectively.
Remind me again how going into a legacy desktop mode just to run MS Office 'productive'? It's the exact opposite of productive. It's a hack job. Surface has promise but its severely bogged down by some asinine decisions by MS (like Office in desktop mode). When they will be ironed out you'll see positive reviews about Surface too.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Remind me again how going into a legacy desktop mode just to run MS Office 'productive'? It's the exact opposite of productive. It's a hack job. Surface has promise but its severely bogged down by some asinine decisions by MS (like Office in desktop mode). When they will be ironed out you'll see positive reviews about Surface too.

Putting it like that its not productive at all. But like you say its a hack job. MS Office is an x86 program that shouldnt be able to run on an RT. Its not full office either but with the functionality it has i will take the slight delay in switching to desktop mode before excel or word opens. Add the fact that its free with the surface and all output is compatible with any other version of office and you cant really grumble about productivity.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
It comes down to Money, and not that Apple is paying them. Apple pays them in other ways. Their product and announcement cycle has given hundreds of new "news sites" a life on the internet. These writers can make a years of worth ad revenue on Apple launch days alone. Even though Android is now the number 1 seller of phones, you would not know that by the coverage of each iPhone that is announced. Why, because every week a new android device is announced and now we are going to see the same with Windows Phone.

On the surface itself, I wrote something up about this that you can find here.
The Perfect Starbucks PC ? Surface Geeks Surface Geeks

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Putting it like that its not productive at all. But like you say its a hack job. MS Office is an x86 program that shouldnt be able to run on an RT. Its not full office either but with the functionality it has i will take the slight delay in switching to desktop mode before excel or word opens. Add the fact that its free with the surface and all output is compatible with any other version of office and you cant really grumble about productivity.
First of all it's not 'free'. That $499 includes the price of Office, Microsoft just doesn't list it separately. Why else do you think it's $499? The Tegra 3 chipset is used in $200 tablets, the screen resolution is on par with $200 tablets, the net storage is on par with $250-350. There is absolutely nothing here in terms of hardware that makes Surface RT a $499 tablet. I heard somewhere that the actual cost of this is like $200 or something and Microsoft earns ~$200 over that for each Surface RT. So it's the software that increases the price to $499.
Now to your second point. A tech enthusiast like you or me probably wouldn't have any issues with the legacy desktop environment, but an average Joe is going to be confused as ****. Just imagine using an iPad and suddenly finding yourself being thrown into a Mac OS X interface. How jarring would that be? Totally unproductive.

MSNY

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
First of all it's not 'free'. That $499 includes the price of Office, Microsoft just doesn't list it separately. Why else do you think it's $499? The Tegra 3 chipset is used in $200 tablets, the screen resolution is on par with $200 tablets, the net storage is on par with $250-350. There is absolutely nothing here in terms of hardware that makes Surface RT a $499 tablet. I heard somewhere that the actual cost of this is like $200 or something and Microsoft earns ~$200 over that for each Surface RT. So it's the software that increases the price to $499.
Now to your second point. A tech enthusiast like you or me probably wouldn't have any issues with the legacy desktop environment, but an average Joe is going to be confused as ****. Just imagine using an iPad and suddenly finding yourself being thrown into a Mac OS X interface. How jarring would that be? Totally unproductive.

And an iPad is also $499...but without Office, usb, sdcard slot...whats up with that?

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids! People are trying or have tried to bring a desktop to ios... They have resorted to using onlive, teamviewer, logmein, etc to do it... Oh yeah, they also buy keyboards and docks to do what? Make the iPad like a pc/laptop. Alot of times wanting to use what? Windows apps.

Touchapps will almost always leave a lot to be desired without a real menu or header icons... I prefer office on the desktop on windows 8. Look at OneNote which can be compared because it has both versions available. The modern one leaves a lot to be desired than the desktop version. Look at the mail app, nothing like having a desktop version like outlook... Yet they both work... Super light stuff, the tablet app works... When you need to get dirty, the desktop is the best way to do it produce the finest results. IOS and Android apps installed or in the cloud web bases format will never hold a candle to it... Yet at least.

The surface is one of the best tablets on the market for people who have always wanted these features from ios or android. If they never did, then they will never see the value in the surface. I will gladly pay for my surface again... I paid over $700 for my iPad and still have to carry a netbook or laptop with me... I am going out of the house with only my surface now... If needed, yeah I will still take my xps13, but mostly I do not need to. This is a very productive machine... My CIO who is a mac guy, my CFO who is android and the rest of my it staff are extremely impressed with the surface. They are recommending windows 8 and or surface for mobile use in the field and fun. You can't beat it. It is not perfect, but sure did a whole lot right!

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I remember like 6 or 7 years ago my friend was showing his iPhone off. He went on and on about this revolutionary new feature that it could identify a song just by listening to what was playing. I was nonplussed because my LG feature phone already had this revolutionary new ability. It was at this point that I knew not to believe in the high-fructose sugary syrup that is Apple.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Funny that 120 million happy iPad owners never cared.

Or never needed them. What good would a usb port or sdcard be on an ipad? Would only be compatible with apple products anyway. Its one of the reasons why Apple has so much money. Remove the use of an industry standard connection to make more money off proprietry hardware. Changing to the lighting connector may have got on a lot of apple users nerves but from a money making perspective its absolute genius.

If you want an example go look in any tech shop and try and find a speaker/radio dock thats got a mini usb port as a connector. Mini usb is the standard for every other phone outside apple and has been for years and thats more phones globally than apple has sold added together since the iphone first launched. Every one of those Applefied docks just means more $ for Apple down the line. Marketing genius and its not going to change anytime soon.

MSNY

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you realaize how much easier it is to connect a Surface to a pc or a laptop? Sd card--extra storage. Its not that nobody needs or wants a usb slot or an sdcard, its just that having universal slots are just easier to work with. I wouldn't want to buy a seperate wire to connect my laptop to a iPad or something.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Do you realaize how much easier it is to connect a Surface to a pc or a laptop? Sd card--extra storage. Its not that nobody needs or wants a usb slot or an sdcard, its just that having universal slots are just easier to work with. I wouldn't want to buy a seperate wire to connect my laptop to a iPad or something.

Having sold my ipad2 after two weeks of having my surface i know what your getting at. My example was just to point out that apple's marketing genius means the universal slots arent so universal. Its not going to change anytime soon. Those trying to be cool apple adds with sequences shortened will continue to pump out feeding the isheep the idea that what they are getting is something new and they will eat it up like an overgrown meadow. Until someone starts pumping out adds showing them something different they arent going to know any better the juicy hardware will stay predominantly apple and those universal slots wont stay universal. The first surface adds were a joke. So a keyboard cover clips in and out and it comes in different colours its got a kickstand and it makes a nice click.... Great... The ones they are starting to show now with the split screen multi tasking and front camera use are only just slightly better at least you get an idea of what the thing can do but its not enough and its about 4 months too late. In this day and age media rules and for a media consumption device you cant beat what apple have done from a marketing perspective - All tech review sites are is a form of media hence the lean towards apple, their marketing is flawless to the general public and thats just the way things are. Its not going to change by attacking apples limitations or pointing out some home truths about the lack of innovation. Someone needs to step up with smarter marketing which is going to be tough as its hard to be smarter than genius

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Marketing.

Ding Ding Ding! You got it! It is ALL in the marketing. I will say, though, people are talking about the Surface and Windows Phone, so Microsoft's marketing is working better than it has in the past. Someone just saw the red body of my wife's Lumia 920 and said, "wow, is that one of those Windows Phones?" Now, they just need to get people to buy them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos