Euro Power Supply

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone found where to buy a Euro power supply for the Surface RT? I have called and written to the Microsoft Store and they refuse to it in the US. I have looked everywhere online and eBay and none for sale. I travel frequently to Russia (Surface not sold there) and tried using a power adapter but it really didn't work because the transformer was too heavy and the adapter put it too far out from the wall. In the end, it just fell out of the wall socket every time and I was never able to get it charged. I was hoping this would be a great travel device, but sadly it is completely worthless without a native Euro power supply.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
You need to get a European converter with a stepdown transformer. I think I got mine from Magellan's Travel Supplies, something like $55, I think.

I have a Samsung Laptop and although the transformer says it's good with 100v to 240v, when I run it off 230v in France it gets so hot you can't touch it. So I bought a European converter with a stepdown transformer and it's fine now.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
The problem is that the adapters put the transformer too far away from the wall and leverage works its magic and makes it fall out of the socket. I just find it crazy that MS refuses to sell this outside of Europe.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I think I understand what you are saying now. Put an extension cord on the adapter, so the weight of the transformer isn't on the adapter at the wall.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, then the Euro power supply is totally different. The US version has a transformer that the blades flip out of, so the transformer is attached to the wall, which makes it not work with an adapter. Really poor design for US version if you ask me, and then not selling us the good one. Oh well. Guess I will sell the Surface and buy a laptop since I need to bring something with me moving to Russia.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Interesting, then the Euro power supply is totally different. The US version has a transformer that the blades flip out of, so the transformer is attached to the wall, which makes it not work with an adapter. Really poor design for US version if you ask me, and then not selling us the good one. Oh well. Guess I will sell the Surface and buy a laptop since I need to bring something with me moving to Russia.

I don't know why you want to go through all that, but that's up to you. Like I said, just get a European extension cord so the transformer isn't hanging off the wall.

John Mattos

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I live in the UK but have the US power cable (bought my RT in Orland). I've been plugging it in to a converter and just plugging that in to a wall socket. I'm using one of those Swiss Travel adapters. Works just fine.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I live in the UK but have the US power cable (bought my RT in Orland). I've been plugging it in to a converter and just plugging that in to a wall socket. I'm using one of those Swiss Travel adapters. Works just fine.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

I think it'd work ok with British plug, but Euro is really unstable. Been scouring eBay and have never seen one for sale.

xirsteon

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
My wife had to buy a 50W Enercell converter for Spain at RadioShack and this morning she confirmed it worked. She had the US adapter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa