Is this right?

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
Just picked up the surface, got it set up and installed a few apps and it says I have 10gb of 24gb remaining on a 32gb tablet? I don't have nearly as much on this as my iPad or nexus 10. Is this thing a resource hog?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The 32gb version comes with 25gb usable space. Get an sd card and add as much disk space as you need, betcha iPad can't do that...

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
The 32gb version comes with 25gb usable space. Get an sd card and add as much disk space as you need, betcha iPad can't do that...

I have a sd card. Unless you can run apps from it and play music from it more than one song at a time what more is the sd card gonna provide me other than a place to store photos, which is why we use skydrive.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have a sd card. Unless you can run apps from it and play music from it more than one song at a time what more is the sd card gonna provide me other than a place to store photos, which is why we use skydrive.

Yes, you can run both apps and store music on the SDCard. Google it

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Are there really no plans for future update, that will let storing apps and maps on the card? Not even mentioning the swap, as this might be a bit too much. Or does the problem go much deeper than that? I was considering getting it, but this **** is a total deal breaker for me. Would have already bought one if it wasn't for this. One of the reasons I want a smartphone is it's supposed to be something better than a standard phone or Asha or Explorer or whatever. I mean I'd rather get a Lumia 800 now that 7.8 arrived and they are already dirt cheap. ****, even iPhone 4 is more appealing than that! At least you won't be limited in terms of applications and the screen is way superior. Not sure 620 is much of a competition to potential 8S users though, if you consider the teen audience it's aimed at. Definitely not my cup of tea.

The 620 is cheaper, has double the onboard storage, has FFC, has Nokia exclusive apps/games, has NFC, and comes in a wider range of interchangeable colors. Why anyone in a market where both phones are available would get the 8S over the L620 is beyond me.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The 8S is ethically produced by well compensated union labor with pensions, health care and a fair wage. That is a consideration for some (including me).

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

How do you play more than one song at a time?

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
That's a playlist. I know how to do that. I was being facetious. You can't play two songs at the same time, only consecutively.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Search the forums for work around to make content available from SD card in you libraries. It requires a little work, but you can have all your media and documents stored on SD card and available in all the associated metro apps. You can also remove backup partition from device storage and add some more gig. Then you can play whatever and however. Just search SD card in Surface forums and you will find it.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
There is so much going on in background with Xbox music, video, SkyDrive and whatever else I wouldn't doubt it using memory without your knowledge. SkyDrive on my laptop does allocate memory as needed. Not much but some. Also, the backup partition is always changing, as far as I know. I've been so busy at work I haven't had the time to figure out all the ins and outs. I have only been able to read some in a few forums about issues people have run into. Im about to perform factory reset on mine and get it set up how I want and see what more I can figure out. I don't plan on removing backup partition, but I am going to setup sd card for all my storage. I have 64g Surface so it really isn't necessary but im OCD with my storage. What's the point of sd card if you don't use it, right?

If you are really running into storage issues with your device, I would get San Disk 64gig class 10 card and perform the work around for storage expansion. You should be able to leave all audio, video, photos and documents on sd card and still have access to info in your metro apps. If that's not enough room, you need a laptop.

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
Well I have set up the sd card and now have 13gb. I still think me having a total of 7 apps from the store plus the OS rendered me 13 out of 32gb is asinine. Oh well, I have 14 days to decide if it works for me or not.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I have set up the sd card and now have 13gb. I still think me having a total of 7 apps from the store plus the OS rendered me 13 out of 32gb is asinine. Oh well, I have 14 days to decide if it works for me or not.

Go into desktop and check properties of c drive and individual folders. Should tell you what is using your storage.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I just did a factory reset on my 64 gig and downloaded all the updates including Office. Have not installed any apps other than what came on it. Used space 9.78gb just OS, Office and whatever came on device. Search the RT forums for backup storage. I think I remember some saying as much as 5gb was taken with backup folder. They mentioned removing partition and copying backup files to flash drive. I don't know, but it seems to me they should be able to be sent to micro SD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786