The future of Windows RT... how does it look?

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
That lasts 10 hours running and a week on standby, and weights 1.5 pounds, and is 1/3" thick, with a touch screen? Yeah, that'd be a cool laptop.

Alright smart azz. Besides the battery life, a nice laptop or convertible at the same price point is way more productive. More storage, ram, and software. Just saying. Everyone knows the iPad is over priced. So is the WRT. Not saying its a bad system. On the contrary. I think its great to have a cross between mobile and desktop platforms. But when I can have a desktop platform at the same price point, well, lets just say the scale doesn't balance. Battery life or not.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft just screwed up, they neglected the competition and reason why tablets sell in the first place.

-Insane battery life
-thin and light
- really nice and sharp screens that are superior to using your phone or laptop. Think about it. If I need to do work I'll use my laptop and I wouldn't bother using my tablet if my 720p phone is like so much sharper, in this case, the size advantage of the tablet is completely nullified by the phone sharpness.

They just have the battery life down. Samsung has the thin and light and same with Asus but not letting them go above 1360 x 768 is ******ed.

Honestly, nobody wants a fat low resolution tablet for $499.99 or $599.99 when you can get a 8.9mm thin, 2560 x 1600 resolution, Dual core A15 Nexus 10 for $399.99

cashcar1979

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
RT is a bad concept. They should have scaled WP8 for 7" tablets and utilized full Win8 for 10" tablets. Clover Trail is solid on battery and clock speeds (granted the gpu is weak though). To make RT just for ARM was not well thought out...they ignored priority #1 which is consumer ease of adoption.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't understand the resolution hype - it seems a number that can be assigned to a device where the higher the figure the better reaction from the market. It reminds me of "This is Spinal Tap", where an amp was being touted as better than other amps simply due to the fact that, unlike other amps which have a maximum volume of 10, "this one goes to 11".

I have no problems with the Surface resolution. Photos are clean and crisp, video is amazing looking, text is very readable, etc. Is it the highest resolution? No. But it works just fine - and the processing power, GPU cycles, and battery required to push the extra pixels aren't needed. Some people make it seem like the Surface is a 640x480 monochrome monitor the way they talk about how much better massive resolution displays are.

I think it's similar to FPS - another number where the higher the better. The human eye can only see about 60 frames per second. So a video running at 170fps seems a bit overkill.

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I got a Microsoft Surface RT but I think I'm starting to regret that now. I got it because it was really thin an light and it had office; as a student that's really the only program I need. But, it seems that manufacturers are starting be able to make full Windows 8 tablets/convertibles/etc even thinner and lighter and with even cooler designs. And I also think with time, the prices will come down. I think the Surface RT will keep me happy for another year or so but I really think that in about 1 or 2 years, there will be no reason to buy an RT device since the full W8 devices will become just as portable and cheap. So because of that, I will predict RT as being a failure.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I got a Microsoft Surface RT but I think I'm starting to regret that now. I got it because it was really thin an light and it had office; as a student that's really the only program I need. But, it seems that manufacturers are starting be able to make full Windows 8 tablets/convertibles/etc even thinner and lighter and with even cooler designs. And I also think with time, the prices will come down. I think the Surface RT will keep me happy for another year or so but I really think that in about 1 or 2 years, there will be no reason to buy an RT device since the full W8 devices will become just as portable and cheap. So because of that, I will predict RT as being a failure.

Well, on that note, it goes to reason that Win RT machines will get even cheaper and more affordable.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, on that note, it goes to reason that Win RT machines will get even cheaper and more affordable.

Unless OEMs discontinue RT machines due to poor sales. In that case, what is available will be cheap (think HP Touchpad firesale), but nothing new will be manufactured.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Unless OEMs discontinue RT machines due to poor sales. In that case, what is available will be cheap (think HP Touchpad firesale), but nothing new will be manufactured.

They should market RT as an Office machine. Hypothetical scenario: $200-$300 for a tablet (still assuming W8 gets cheaper). Half of that pays for the value of Full Office (what is it, like $120?). I would certainly buy one for each of my children for school.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
They should market RT as an Office machine. Hypothetical scenario: $200-$300 for a tablet (still assuming W8 gets cheaper). Half of that pays for the value of Full Office (what is it, like $120?). I would certainly buy one for each of my children for school.

That would make sense for most home users. You're right, it is $120 for a single Home & Student 2010 license. I'm not sure what 2013 will cost.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

In that time there will also be faster and cheaper RT tablets. Technology doesn't only advance on the x86 side.

And for users who want better security without having to worry about getting an antivirus program, RT will still be a better choice. The walled garden of RT will do a good job of protecting itself since you can't install programs from outside of the marketplace.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Yep, in 1-2 years things will get thinner, lighter, faster, cheaper, and have better battery life.

This is always true. I guess none of us should ever buy anything :)

How do you predict this makes any product a failure. The original iPad - is it a failure? It's horribly slow, limited, has a crappy display, and didn't even have a camera!

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
The original iPad wasn't all roses, as my friend above points out. Also as he states, Anything you buy will be outdated by the time the week ends. Your best bet, is pick the OS/ecosystem that you take a liking to the most. Essentially what you are doing (especially when you buy in early, like many of us), is investing money in the further development of that OS/device. No body buys in early? No funds to further develop it. More people jump in and give them their money? The larger the funding to make it the best product available. Does Windows RT have some bugs. Very much so. Is it more intuitive than it's competitors? I think so, but that is for each to decide. And that is where I see its biggest advantage. Everything Apple has to offer right now, looks like something out of an 80's Commodore 64 commercial.

Essentially... if you like the theory behind what Windows RT is and see very high capabilities and promising ideas, then invest so they can make it what we hope it will become.

aldovelco

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I completely agree with all of you've said. Now my only problem with WindowsRT is that Microsoft won't start selling it Worldwide D:<!!!
So frustrating!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
In that time there will also be faster and cheaper RT tablets. Technology doesn't only advance on the x86 side.

And for users who want better security without having to worry about getting an antivirus program, RT will still be a better choice. The walled garden of RT will do a good job of protecting itself since you can't install programs from outside of the marketplace.
Windows 8 includes Windows Defender, which is now an antivirus software. Protecting you from malware - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
That's true. However, RT might not be powerful enough for many users. RT would be a good desktop/laptop companion, but not robust enough to replace a desktop/laptop.

Nor is it meant to be a desktop/laptop replacement. It's meant to be an android tablet or ipad replacement, where you can continue to do actual real Office work. Which it does really well. Try dumping your powerpoint file to an android tablet (or an iPad) and then hooking it up to a projector with HDMI to run your presentation. Go ahead... I'll wait right here :)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
That's true. However, RT might not be powerful enough for many users. RT would be a good desktop/laptop companion, but not robust enough to replace a desktop/laptop.

Agreed.

Though many people nowadays don't even find themselves needing the functionality of a desktop/laptop. I find that many people spend most of their time in a browser or web app.

Many who own iPads may go for weeks without turning on their PC. And then it's only to work on a resume, fax, or other document.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Agreed.

Though many people nowadays don't even find themselves needing the functionality of a desktop/laptop. I find that many people spend most of their time in a browser or web app.

Many who own iPads may go for weeks without turning on their PC. And then it's only to work on a resume, fax, or other document.

So true. I get asked by family members/friends all the time "What kind of laptop should I get?". That answer is not so simple anymore. I find most can do without a laptop and a tablet suits them just fine. If I wasn't a developer I'd have no use for a laptop/desktop PC. I'd be just find with a tablet. And at the end of the day I welcome a tablet because it gets me away from the computer I stare at all day long.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs