The future of Windows RT... how does it look?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else wondering about the future fate of Windows RT? I personally think it's a fantastic adaptation of Windows and needed to be made. Even if Intel catches up with ARM in terms of battery life, ARM chips will be more powerful. I mean, the Tegra4 already is more powerful that the Clover Tail stuff that Intel is touting for late this year and maintains the same power efficiencies.

Yet, all you see coming out of CES is nothing but Windows 8 harder. Barely a whimper of anything regarding Windows RT devices.

Why does everyone have something against Windows RT? Who cares about running legacy software? Do people ***** and moan when they can't install their Mac OS X applications on their iPad iOS?

As far as I'm concerned, Windows RT is the perfect marriage between full-Windows and a mobile version of Windows. You get the modern UI which apps SHOULD be designed for on a tablet, yet you still have access to your file system and MS Office that might be useful.

So, what's the deal? Will people eventually see the light?

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
personally. this will live and die by third party support .. I would love to add a USB wifi dongle to my surface .. guess what? no drivers ..

I've also come to the conclusion that it's still half baked and needs to go back into the oven some more - stuff that should just work, doesn't - Bluetooth Streaming - lag-gy Capacitive pen input

some things are really cool and I like - the touch cover - HDMI out .. the core apps are good for the most part -but it still needs polish to be a viable player against IOS/Android IMHO

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I too think that the Windows RT operating system is a very nice deal. I don't get either why people cry about not being able to install legacy software on the system. I've never heard people comment on the fact that and iPad will only run apps yet it seems that people cannot stop being confused about Windows RT not being a computer OS but a tablet OS. Sometimes I wonder if people are stupid or just ignorant. (No offence to anyone but it really shouldn't be such a hot topic).

And at least RT device can have an USB connection, allowing driver less units or USB stick drives to be connected. I've not seen tablets with USB's before so that's even another plus to Microsoft. Other than that you have better file management through the desktop and finally - and this is the best of all - it comes with free Office Home and Student which is just awesome and makes the tablet so much more viable for school and work use.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well i think microsoft have pushed the envelope on what can be built so i cant see many tablets coming out and beating the hardware any time soon.

The software will only get better i beleive. The more people jump on board the more apps will become available. The desktop mode is incredibly powerful when you consider the remote desktop capabilities and when it comes to updates so far theyve been as regular as full windows 8. Think MS will always be tweaking it and ironing out the kinks theyve put far too much money into the surface to just drop it.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Windows RT is incomplete, thus needing the desktop. To be successful the following should happen

1) Complete Windows RT - everything that can be done on the desktop should be available in 'Metro' such as advanced computer settings etc.
2) Office for RT - Office should be developed with a complete touch interface in mind. The One Note app for 'Metro' is a great start
3) Remove the legacy 'baggage' - Desktop needs to go! Rip it out of the OS including all its dependencies. Windows RT should be a purely 'Metro' experience. This will also reduce its footprint to a much smaller size.
4) Give it away for free! - Don't charge the OEMs for the OS. Microsoft will make the money from the app store
5) Form factors - We need multiple form factors for Windows RT devices, a 7 inch tablet is a must!
6) Lower the price of entry - At the moment the price of entry is too high. We need cheaper tablets

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it should have never come with a keyboard. Without it there would be a lot less confusion. Also, no full sized USB port - then no one would want to plug everything in then complain about a lack of drivers. No desktop mode - again, the confusion angle.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
RT is the future. Even RT on Pro machines. It's just a matter of time.

A few things will be big milestones.
1. MS Office going completely RT
2. A file browser app on RT
3. Nokia jumping in

Why would #3 be big? Because Nokia is one of the few OEMs we know is willing to market the heck out of it. Others are kind of lukewarm.

Companies like Samsung are waiting for companies like Microsoft and Nokia to do all the hard work for them, just like what happened with Android.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Wife instantly fell in love with the RT, but only problem is, it's for work. And the reason it's a problem is because their website does not work properly on both desktop and metro side of IE10. We know this, because we've been trying really hard to get it to work on our current W8 laptop. She has to use chrome browser (or IE9, claims their IT). RT won't allow installation of other browsers. So we really wanted to get RT, but just can't.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Wife instantly fell in love with the RT, but only problem is, it's for work. And the reason it's a problem is because their website does not work properly on both desktop and metro side of IE10. We know this, because we've been trying really hard to get it to work on our current W8 laptop. She has to use chrome browser (or IE9, claims their IT). RT won't allow installation of other browsers. So we really wanted to get RT, but just can't.

have you tried compatibility mode in IE9 mode for the site in desktop mode?

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Windows RT is incomplete, thus needing the desktop. To be successful the following should happen

1) Complete Windows RT - everything that can be done on the desktop should be available in 'Metro' such as advanced computer settings etc.
2) Office for RT - Office should be developed with a complete touch interface in mind. The One Note app for 'Metro' is a great start
3) Remove the legacy 'baggage' - Desktop needs to go! Rip it out of the OS including all its dependencies. Windows RT should be a purely 'Metro' experience. This will also reduce its footprint to a much smaller size.
4) Give it away for free! - Don't charge the OEMs for the OS. Microsoft will make the money from the app store
5) Form factors - We need multiple form factors for Windows RT devices, a 7 inch tablet is a must!
6) Lower the price of entry - At the moment the price of entry is too high. We need cheaper tablets

I am in agreement with almost everything you said. The desktop must go but its functionality remain. Metro IE needs help.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Purely your opinion across the board. My own opinion is that almost everything on your list are things I would not do or would not want. If I wanted a cheap, small tablet, I would but something Android or an unsold Playbook. Oh wait, I sold both because they were useless garbage or too small a screen to do anything useful. BTW, the price falls between the iPad and the higher quality Android tablets. While it would be nice if it was cheaper, I do not want cut corners, nor do I want the producer making up the difference off my personal information. When it comes to the choice between selling myself to Google for cheap, poorly made toys, or paying more for better quality and control, I will always choose the latter. As for giving the OS away, that will never happen Android is a perpetually unfinished, fragmented, mess that may or may not ever be updated for individual devices. Windows RT will be patched and updated regularly until end of life for the product because Microsoft retains control. It also does not coz very much for an OEM. Again, I will take Microsoft's approach any day. Windows RT has already been more actively and regularly updated in three months than my Transformer prime was in a year. BTW, ask Google how much product dumping below cost and making money off advertising and app stores has helped their financials. The answer is that it has done anything but that for either company,

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
RT is the future. Even RT on Pro machines. It's just a matter of time.

A few things will be big milestones.
2. A file browser app on RT
3. Nokia jumping in

Why would #3 be big? Because Nokia is one of the few OEMs we know is willing to market the heck out of it. Others are kind of lukewarm.

Companies like Samsung are waiting for companies like Microsoft and Nokia to do all the hard work for them, just like what happened with Android.

1) There already are numerous file browsers in the app store.
2) A version Office that looks and feels different is the last thing I want. I want a comparable experience across platforms and not have to relearn Office, or have to think about it when I jump between a tablet and laptop.
3) Samsung isn't waiting for anyone to do the work for them. They just don't want to compete with their own Galaxy line of tablets which only have borderline acceptable sales (compared to their other products) but do have a market presence.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I think it should have never come with a keyboard. Without it there would be a lot less confusion. Also, no full sized USB port - then no one would want to plug everything in then complain about a lack of drivers. No desktop mode - again, the confusion angle.

I would hope this was meant to be sarcastic. All that leaves is a generic Android tablet with a different interface.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else wondering about the future fate of Windows RT? I personally think it's a fantastic adaptation of Windows and needed to be made. Even if Intel catches up with ARM in terms of battery life, ARM chips will be more powerful. I mean, the Tegra4 already is more powerful that the Clover Tail stuff that Intel is touting for late this year and maintains the same power efficiencies.

Yet, all you see coming out of CES is nothing but Windows 8 harder. Barely a whimper of anything regarding Windows RT devices.

Why does everyone have something against Windows RT? Who cares about running legacy software? Do people ***** and moan when they can't install their Mac OS X applications on their iPad iOS?

As far as I'm concerned, Windows RT is the perfect marriage between full-Windows and a mobile version of Windows. You get the modern UI which apps SHOULD be designed for on a tablet, yet you still have access to your file system and MS Office that might be useful.

So, what's the deal? Will people eventually see the light?

besides the small missing features here and there, I think the main thing is price. Its just over priced. For the money u can get a nice laptop.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
besides the small missing features here and there, I think the main thing is price. Its just over priced. For the money u can get a nice laptop.

That lasts 10 hours running and a week on standby, and weights 1.5 pounds, and is 1/3" thick, with a touch screen? Yeah, that'd be a cool laptop.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

This is the big one. Not that Office itself is necessary for a tablet, but it is the process of writing Office in WinRT that is important. Trying to write a WinRT version of Office will force Microsoft to fix many of the problems and deficiencies in the WinRT API. Same thing happened with the original Windows, it was little more than a toy until Windows 3.0 shipped and Microsoft Word for Windows came out a few months later. WPF was unsuitable for writing serious apps (combination of missing features and performance problems) until VS2010, when Microsoft used WPF to write Visual Studio itself and finally fixed the problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)