Programming on Surface

Po_MD

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Not really. One can compile code, but execution is kind of out of the question. Your best shot(at the moment) is to use Remote Desktop, VMWare, TeamViewer or any other remote desktop client to make those operations possible in any whatever programming whathaveyou you use. Albeit, this recent "jailbreak" has allowed for more basic programming. That is to say, one can run SDL, DOSBox, or a python somethingorother. Excuse my crude terminology.

That is all I know.
Po_MD

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
You can "code" in the sense you can write code in a text editor. Check out an app called Code Writer. It's pretty decent and a nice way to organize your code on the RT.

You can always write an HTML5 app and test it on the Surface it you wanted to. Then use a tool like PhoneGap and make it a Windows app using that.

vdek

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
If you jailbreak you can run Python on the Surface! I'm sure some developer out there is working on porting gcc as well, at least I hope one is!

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Not really. One can compile code, but execution is kind of out of the question. Your best shot(at the moment) is to use Remote Desktop, VMWare, TeamViewer or any other remote desktop client to make those operations possible in any whatever programming whathaveyou you use. Albeit, this recent "jailbreak" has allowed for more basic programming. That is to say, one can run SDL, DOSBox, or a python somethingorother. Excuse my crude terminology.

That is all I know.
Po_MD

DOSBox is working wioth the jailbreak? So old DOS Games, in theory can run on Surface?

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
You can code in C# now! Apparently Windows RT includes the Microsoft C# compiler, it just won't run by default due to some dependency issues. Check out this thread: [how to] Develop on Windows RT: A C# Scratchpad - xda-developers

Thanks for the video. How much can you really do though if certain references were removed?

But, NotePad++!!?? My favorite text editor. The one that becomes the default over Notepad as soon as I reload or get a new computer.

Here's my questions, and sorry if this takes the thread in a different direction... Is the reason we have to jailbreak the RT to be able to run programs such as Notepad++, is because Microsoft is worried about battery life? Or pushing the RT beyond what it can do? I don't get it. So there's functionality available in RT, but we can't use it. Why??

vdek

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't allow desktop applications to run for some arbitrary reason. Apparently it's to differentiate the Pro version with the RT version but to me that just weakens the RT experience unnecessarily. There's really no reason we shouldn't be able to run the full desktop environment if we want to. I can understand that Microsoft wants to control the point of distribution and kill malware remotely etc, but they should at least give us the option to chose to take in their walled garden or not like Android does.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb