Movies on Surface

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
It shouldn't be a problem as long as format is supported by RT. You will not be able to see it in video app due to indexing issues, at least I don't think you will. You will have to go to desktop and open file.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't be a problem as long as format is supported by RT. You will not be able to see it in video app due to indexing issues, at least I don't think you will. You will have to go to desktop and open file.

I have a movie on my RT. I play it through my Video app.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the avengers digital copy but it only plays on my desktop computer thru windows media player. I don't know why I can't play it on my surface. I think its ridiculous that I can't play it on whatever system I have. It also makes me mad that it can be played on android and apple phones but not my Lumina 920. The world is so unfair!.............(unless somebody knows how to?)

mersa

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Afaik, Digital Copies are Windows Media Movies with DRM. The video app should be able to play wmv, but I'm not too sure about the DRM.
Did you try it yet?

cthulhucometh

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
To anyone that is wondering, they won't play atall. So to have movies saved onto it you have to buy them from Xbox until Flixster comes out with an app. Plus side is until then you can stream your Flixster movies in the browser.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Just buy DVD catalyst for $10(sale price won't last long) and rip that movie and all your other movies.

To answer your question... Although the file container may be one that is supported by the surface, the digital copy version wants to install a DRM decryption app, codec, etc that is not allowed on the surface... Now, I am sure ultra violent or whoever could release an app or Microsoft could release an update for the media playing app...

I personally do not use those digital copies much... They are usually limited to only 3 devices and have other restrictions. I want to use it when and where I want to... This where DVD Catalyst comes in. I like it better than hand break. Try it, you should have a better experience than wondering if it will play in this or that device since you created the digital copy 😊

newfiend

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
You can also use AnyDVD HD and Handbrake to rip your DVD/Blu-Ray's and convert them to .mp4 files. .mp4 is supported by the surface tablet and plays fine. This is my prefered method for watching movies on many devices including Windows Phone. I only do this for movies I own. I have kids and I find that using Digital Copies of my media allows me to keep the disks as a backup and they don't get damaged by little hands that scratch up and damage the media. This method works very well. You can use the iPad profile in Handbrake for excellent quality movies on your Surface. Once you encode the new .mp4 simply transfer the file to the surface and enjoy.
SlySoft AnyDVD HD
HandBrake

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
@wbdillworth, did you buy it from the store? It was it a digital copy from a physical copy you bought?
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920

Uhhh,.....yeah, :wink:

Let's just say it was a movie I had converted thru Handbrake for my HP Touchpad. I just copied it to the Surface RT.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
When I try to play movies off of my surface they are real choppy! (Netflix actually does a far superior job) is this the case with anybody else? I've tried playback from both the sd card and ssd.

Mark_Venture

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
When I try to play movies off of my surface they are real choppy! (Netflix actually does a far superior job) is this the case with anybody else? I've tried playback from both the sd card and ssd.
Every movie I've converted to MP4 using DVD Catalyst for the Surface plays great off microSD card (Sandisk 32gig class 4), or internal storage. They have not been choppy.

Those I had previously converted to play on my Moto Xoom were choppy when played on the Surface, but fine on the Xoom. Per the author of DVD Catalyst, picking Moto Xoom HQXT profile, and modifying play back device setting to 1280x720 (rather than the Xoom's default 1280x800), results in files that play fine on both the Xoom and Surface RT. Thankfully using this setup outputs files that also play well on my iPad 3 and my wife's iPad2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos