Pleasantly surprised by Surface rt

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I just got a Surface rt. I have to say, I'm very happy with it. I fell in love with the design of the Surface from the beginning, but I was a bit leery about the idea of Windows RT. After giving this a pretty good workout I have to say its an excellent device, and IMHO it totally holds its own against the competition.

I own a Nexus 7 (I use it as an ereader) and my wife has an iPad 3. I think the Surface is the best tablet in the house. First, the hardware is beautiful, from the cool metal feel, to the touch cover, its top class. I love how deceptively powerful this device is. I can use it to manage my Nexus 7 and my Galaxy S3, that was a surprise to me. Try doing that with an iPad :).

Its not perfect, there are some aspects of windows RT that are clunky, but I think it is an excellent, premium device. I love it :D

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear you like it. Love mine... the fact it is almost a full PC adds so much value over say an iPad.

USB devices, printing, multi-user accounts, network fileshares, full filesystem access etc...

ggonzalez777

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely love my surface!!! Everyday I smile when I use it and now that I have the remote desktop working from outside my home network, it's become a a very important piece of my carry on tech. I can't see why i would need a pro if I can remote to my home (more powerful) computer.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I concur. Better value than my ipad2 was. I can do everything I need realistically that I can do on my ultrabook.

Everywhere I have taken out, people have enquired about it. From the looks down to the productivity. People are really impressed.

I really hate how the media has made such a big deal about windows rt. Rt is still way more useful than IOS or most flavors of android. If people can use those, they should have no problem with the exaggerated limitations of windows rt.

Then they complain about the price of the pro... Um, that is a real computer..

Lastly, they complain about windows 8, yet when people actually use it... They love it too.

I love my surface. I do all that I can on it. When I do hit a limitation, I remote into a real PC with a core i7...

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely love my surface!!! Everyday I smile when I use it and now that I have the remote desktop working from outside my home network, it's become a a very important piece of my carry on tech. I can't see why i would need a pro if I can remote to my home (more powerful) computer.

I actually have been wondering, how do you do this? I'm at school and if I can remote into my laptop at home I would be very happy. Help? Also my mom always needs computer help, is there a way I can remote her laptop as well? Thanks!

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
That new SURFACE PHONE going tu be tha best phone ever when it cum out

Bad spelling can very quickly turn for the worse. Especially with certain homophones that when interchanged completely take the sentence out of context. So, for future reference, DON'T DO IT. 😁

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I actually have been wondering, how do you do this? I'm at school and if I can remote into my laptop at home I would be very happy. Help? Also my mom always needs computer help, is there a way I can remote her laptop as well? Thanks!

There is the Remote Desktop app and there's Team Viewer. The former is likely good for you if your laptop OS supports it. The latter is great for helping out family.

mattcald

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I concur with Kebero. I use Remote Desktop when I am at home on my network, and TeamViewer when I am on another network. Both work very well!

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Question - I'm new with remote desktop stuff so bare with me. Is it possible to do sound and video stuff through desktop? for instance i have a surface rt as well ( love it btw! ) But can i say at night in bed pull up and watch a movie from my surface pulling it from my desktop?

mattcald

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
If you have Windows 7 or Windows 8, you can setup an home group, and stream movies and videos from your desktop right to your Surface.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
and by doing that it will have sound as well played through the surface?
homegroup essentially works like a mapped network drive, so its not really "remote desktop" so anything you want to play in RT will play as long as RT supports that format

Remote Desktop depends on the software you are using, but most of the software now will allow you to do anything you want to do on the remote PC (obviously audio and video will play for sure.) the only down side I see with Remote Desktop is the connection speed, but it's probably a non-issue if you are on the local network, wireless at my place is saturated on all channels so my experience hasn't been as great with Remote Desktop compared to Home Group (but then again I have a bunch of files that just won't play using Home Group... =.=)

oh, btw, if you are having problems with Home Group or Remote Desktop, try turning off your antivirus, if that fixes the issue, you might need to create some exceptions on it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel