Anybody try the registry hack to install apps to sdcard? Problem

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I was able to do it based on xda steps, i got to install apps to the sdcard. Now the issue is I can't install 1st party apps like finance, travel, shop, etc that i uninstalled awhile back. It wont let me install to the sdcard. So i figured i change it back to the original directory to the c drive, but now it doesn't recognize at all. Anybody know how i can fix this? Can't seem to find a sollution, may have to do a reset of my surface which would suck.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Nevermind i found out the issue, there is a space in between Program Files. I made it Programfiles instead of Program files.

Anybody that runs into this issue, 1st party apps will not install onto sd.

vdek

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had a problem with any of them on the sd card... I have noticed though that the Surface doesn't like reading/writing to the SD card at the same time, so if you're installing apps on to the SD Card it might slow down a little. It seems the biggest bottleneck in the Surface is Solid State Performance. With apps running off the SD card, the system itself runs so much better.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had a problem with any of them on the sd card... I have noticed though that the Surface doesn't like reading/writing to the SD card at the same time, so if you're installing apps on to the SD Card it might slow down a little. It seems the biggest bottleneck in the Surface is Solid State Performance. With apps running off the SD card, the system itself runs so much better.

Ya, can't seem to fix it. I did uninstall in the beginning like bing, weather, skydrive, and a few others before doing the switch. Then after the regedit stuff, i installed a bunch of apps to the card. Then i had about 10 1st party apps and all of them had error installing, but it was only 1st party apps. So i decided to try to download a 3rd party app and while the others remained with the error even after re-trying, all the 3rd party apps installed fine.

So i switched back to installing to the c drive and then the 1st party apps installed fine.

Ill try again when i get home tonight.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok, i fixed the issue. So in the c drive windowsapps folder, i had to go in there and delete the folders after installing the app. I would see like three different folders of bing, finance, etc related to 1st party apps. AFter i deleted, i was able to install onto the SD card.

Perhaps the surface was thinking duplicate installations. The folders remained after uninstalling the apps.

Scott Swann

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I can't seem to fix. I uninstalled Bing Finance. Then set Packageroot to sd card. Then tried to install bing Finance and it failed. I deleted the bing finance folders from C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and I still got install errors. I also did this with Microsoft Solitaire and it failed. Any new apps I have not installed seem to be fine. Seems like 1st party apps that I have already installed will not reinstall to sd card.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I can't seem to fix. I uninstalled Bing Finance. Then set Packageroot to sd card. Then tried to install bing Finance and it failed. I deleted the bing finance folders from C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and I still got install errors. I also did this with Microsoft Solitaire and it failed. Any new apps I have not installed seem to be fine. Seems like 1st party apps that I have already installed will not reinstall to sd card.

As you can see I had the same issue and now I have been able to install the 1st party apps after deleting the folders in the c drive. What I did notice was some of the 1st party apps had like 3 seperate folder meaning there were 3 related folders in the c drive for Bing Search, Travel, Skydrive, etc etc. So go through the folders and double check there are not multiple finance folders.

I was careful not to just wipe everything in the folder, if I the folders were labeled specifically to a 1st party app like bing,travel, finance, skydrive, etc. i deleted it.

Now seems to work for me. I was able to download Ms games too.

BeeBones

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I am new so please be patient, but I cannot find the windowsapps folder in my C drive on my RT. Could you be a little more specific as to where it is?

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I am new so please be patient, but I cannot find the windowsapps folder in my C drive on my RT. Could you be a little more specific as to where it is?

It's hidden. You have to go to Folder Options, choose Show hidden files and folder and uncheck Hide protected system files.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
The issues I have -- Store are trying some update deleted apps. The list is increasing. I assume some apps assumed default install folder. wpcentral is one of those apps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans