RT Office 13 updated

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
The whole suite just got updated. But I haven't actually used it yet to know the difference. Is this the full version? Why is CNET reporting we are out of luck and saying that Surface RT has their own version of Office 13? From what I understand we had the Preview version and would get updated to Full when released.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The preview version was only there for a few days after Surface launch, before it was updated to the full version. Yes, there are some differences to a full desktop Office, such as I believe Excel cant do macros (I think for performance and security reasons). Generally speakig though we are far from "out of luck". Anyways, Surface has had the full version for most of it's availability.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
The whole suite just got updated. But I haven't actually used it yet to know the difference. Is this the full version? Why is CNET reporting we are out of luck and saying that Surface RT has their own version of Office 13? From what I understand we had the Preview version and would get updated to Full when released.
"Just got updated"?? We have a version of Home and Student Office 2013 on our RTs. As Coreldan notes, Office gets updated as part of the many updates you get when you fist get the RT and run Windows Update. As I recall, the prompt for updating launched automatically.

First, note that paying any attention to cnet is risky, or at least a waste of time --although they are the most experienced at misleading the inexperienced on the web.

Second, the RT version of Office we have, including the updated final version, is limited in a few ways. Here is a link that explains the limits (see items 6 &7): Office Home & Student RT Preview - Office.com

This somewhat limited version of Office comes free on Windows RT devices, which is great, and along with the remarkable design, it is what most influenced me to get the Surface RT. Owners of any other tablet wanting to run Word, Excel, Powerpoint, or OneNote out of the box, --and most, at all-- are indeed "out of luck".

Last edited:

mattcald

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I just updated mine yesterday. I didn't know that you actually had to go into Action Center on the desktop app to do the updates. I had been using the metro update with no luck. LOL

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
First, note that paying any attention to cnet is risky, or at least a waste of time --although they are the most experienced at misleading the inexperienced on the web.

I will just add to this that paying attention to any blog, when it comes to the Surface RT, is risky. I wouldn't mind it so much if the writers expressed their thoughts as their own opinion, but it's presented as fact.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I will just add to this that paying attention to any blog, when it comes to the Surface RT, is risky. I wouldn't mind it so much if the writers expressed their thoughts as their own opinion, but it's presented as fact.

Yeah so true! Nothing bugs me more than when a tech writer knows less than the customer, or just decides to write something they have not even looked into. Its just sloppy work. If any of us worked at our job like this we would get fired. Lol

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Like others have said, this Office update has been out since the Surface first launched.

I just checked my Surface and there are no new updates.

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, The Update to the Final (RTM) version of Office RT was placed on Windows Update before RT's were publicly avaialble. As a result, one of the very first updates you would receive would have been the sizeable upgrade to the final version. And in the coming months, OEM images will be updated (as is usual for any platform) so newer RT devices will come with the final version installed (imaged) out-of-the-box.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I just updated mine yesterday. I didn't know that you actually had to go into Action Center on the desktop app to do the updates. I had been using the metro update with no luck. LOL

I found my update in the modern side actually, not the action center. Weird.

Like others have said, this Office update has been out since the Surface first launched.

I just checked my Surface and there are no new updates.

Huh. I wonder what update I got last night then? I just happened to check and I saw some updates and installed them. They all pertained to Office (Word, Excel, etc.)

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
FWIW, The Update to the Final (RTM) version of Office RT was placed on Windows Update before RT's were publicly avaialble. As a result, one of the very first updates you would receive would have been the sizeable upgrade to the final version. And in the coming months, OEM images will be updated (as is usual for any platform) so newer RT devices will come with the final version installed (imaged) out-of-the-box.

Maybe I just got some type of security or incremental update for Office?

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I just got some type of security or incremental update for Office?

Yep. 2nd and 4th Tuesday are the release days. You likely got the most recent (1/8) updates. In the Traditional Desktop, you can go to Control Panel | Windows Updates | View Update History and see which ones you got.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
It all makes sense now. I guess a light bulb just popped in my head since I actually got an update the same time Office 2013 was released to everyone else. :)

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
"Just got updated"?? We have a version of Home and Student Office 2013 on our RTs. As Coreldan notes, Office gets updated as part of the many updates you get when you fist get the RT and run Windows Update. As I recall, the prompt for updating launched automatically.

Second, the RT version of Word we have, including the updated final version, is limited in a few ways. Here is a link that explains the limits (see items 6 &7): Office Home & Student RT Preview - Office.com

This somewhat limited version of Office comes free on Windows 8 RT devices, which is great, and along with the remarkable design, it is what most influenced me to get the Surface RT. Owners of any other tablet wanting to run Word, Excel, Powerpoint, or OneNote out of the box, --and most, at all-- are indeed "out of luck".

There is no such thing as Windows 8 RT. It is Windows RT.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon