GPS on Surface RT

perspicatio

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't the Surface have been awesome with GPS?

I've been wondering if there is a solution out there. Has anyone tried using a USB or BT GPS with their Surface? I haven't been able to find a GPS receiver with drivers for RT.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Would it possible for say a app developer to make an app that could load onto the surface Rt that has drivers and or codecs written for winrt????

perspicatio

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
A friend has offered to dig out an old receiver for me. I'll give it a try.

Presumably, once paired, location services will detect it and Map apps will just query RT's location service. But something tells me I'm being optimistic.

perspicatio

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
John, yes I'm confident achieving a pairing but the hope is that RT's Location Services will pick it up via Device Manager. There seems to be no manual configurability of Location Services via the Desktop Control Panel.

If Location Services does not utilise it then we're stuffed as the trendy new App model prohibits directly accessing devices.

rdubmu: No. Microsoft say we don't need it. Samsung differ, as their Ativ RT tablet has GPS.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
John, yes I'm confident achieving a pairing but the hope is that RT's Location Services will pick it up via Device Manager. There seems to be no manual configurability of Location Services via the Desktop Control Panel.

If Location Services does not utilise it then we're stuffed as the trendy new App model prohibits directly accessing devices.

rdubmu: No. Microsoft say we don't need it. Samsung differ, as their Ativ RT tablet has GPS.
I have been meaning to hook mine up. First, I have to find its charger. LOL. If I ever do, I'll report back.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok, what would you use GPS for on a 11" tablet? Do you plan on roaming the streets tab in hand? If I'm getting directions, phone works just fine to get me from a to b. Am I missing something or is it just like a camera in a tablet. You use it once just to see how it works and never again? I just don't see the point and neither did MS. What am I missing here?

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok, what would you use GPS for on a 11" tablet? Do you plan on roaming the streets tab in hand? If I'm getting directions, phone works just fine to get me from a to b. Am I missing something or is it just like a camera in a tablet. You use it once just to see how it works and never again? I just don't see the point and neither did MS. What am I missing here?

I've used GPS in a previous tablet as a large map to give someone directions. It was much easier to show them on a larger screen than on my phone. This has happened more than once, too. I can see both sides of the coin, and I'll honestly live without it just fine.

perspicatio

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
What am I missing here?

Imagination. Whereas wandering the streets of New York holding a tablet at arm's length might be inadvisable, phone snatchers are thin on the ground in the hills of Tuscany. Just one place where a light tablet with a large map display would be of great value.

perspicatio

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
We have tried pairing two different GPS devices with the Surface tablet. Unfortunately, neither worked.

The devices identify themselves and pair with Surface but no GPS data becomes available to apps such as "GPS Satellite" or gMaps. RT's Device Manager lists the "Peripheral Device" as installed but with no device driver (it even says one is not required).

You can tell the device to utilise Bluetooth's Serial Port Profile but it seems that RT's Location Services just point blank refuses GPS. What a pity.

sonex293

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I've been using a Holux M-1000 BT GPS with my Surface Pro. I haven't tried any Metro Apps with it yet, but the Windows Desktop apps work fine with it. It is seen as COM3, a standard serial interface.

==
Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss