So WPCentral and Mobile Nations do not know the difference between Windows 8 and RT

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
One of the lead articles today and the announcement on the top of the page say it all. Apparently people are giving away the Tegra power Windows 8 tablets called Surface RT and Vivotab RT. Perhaps the RT in the names should have been a clue that they run Windows RT, not Windows 8. You would think that by now this site would know they are not the same OS. This is truly embarrassing.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Well, it is Window Phone Central, emphasis on Phone. This stuff happens all the time. My favorite is when BestBuy photoshoped an iOS screen shot on a BlackBerry PlayBook for their weekly circular. That was classic.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
There are quite a few tablets out there that advertise Windows 8 not Windows RT. This is very misleading for the consumer who don't know the difference.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, most people are going to call it a duck. Microsoft created this issue themselves through a lack of common sense.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Sure, but is it a horse sized duck? Bill Gates tells Reddit he would rather fight one horse-sized duck | Digital Trends

There are actually windows 8 tablets with atom cpus that run x86 apps.

Windows RT -> Not x86
Windows anything else -> x86

Not really that complicated.

LOL, no, Windows 8/RT/Phone are more like 100 duck-sized horses.

You are right that it isn't complicated, but it is still confusing to most consumers and even a lot of writers as evidenced here. I'll admit I thought it was called Windows 8 RT until after I bought my Surface, even though I understood the differences between 8 and RT.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Well it IS windows 8. The important bit is "On ARM CPU" not Windows 8. It's full ass windows 8 though, and recompiling stuff for arm works just jim dandy (post jailbreak.)

People are confused by RT=Arm though. Weirdly, they don't expect their iPads to run OSx x86 apps, even though iOS is really just OSx on Arm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99