Make the most out of your RT, use Remote Desktop

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I've only started dabbling with remote desktop the past week or so. And let me tell you, it adds so much value to my Surface RT. I can pretty much do anything the Surface Pro can do. In simple terms you connect to a designated home computer and you control it from your RT, remotely via internet, and you end up with a full featured Windows 8 inside your RT. There is a native desktop windows app installed already or you can download a Modern app version from the market. So far I've only tested it within my home network, but plan to use it for school. So I may end up getting tethering plan from ATT.

Its' pretty easy to use.

First we need to activate the PC to be accessed. Control Panel - System and Security - Remote Settings... then tab over to "Remote" and make sure "Allow remote connections to this computer" is selected.

Capture.PNG

Now we can go over to our RT and just use the search charm and enter in "remote desktop". Enter the remote computer's name, username and password (credentials you use to unlock your remote computer), go through the tabs and select your options, and hit connect. That's it. Windows will do the rest.

Capture.JPG

How to remotely connect outside your home network:

Allow Remote Desktop connections from outside your home network
How to setup a remote desktop and connect to your PC from anywhere | Chips | Geek.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alternative software to native Remote Desktop that work with RT:

TeamViewer (Free for personal use)

Capture.JPG

Splashtop (Free for personal use)

Capture.JPG

Please feel free to suggest alternative apps as they become available for the RT and I will add them here so we can try them out.

Last edited:

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone who uses an RT should learn how to utilize remote desktop

For some reason I can only use the IP address of the computer on my home network and not by its name for some reason.

Edit: Sorry ...it worked but with my Live password rather than my Homeserver password.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

For some reason I can only use the IP address of the computer on my home network and not by its name for some reason.

I'm pretty noob to this so I'll help as much as I can.

Are you connecting to a Windows 8 PC? Perhaps its different depending on which version you're connecting to.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

I've been using it for a while. I VPN into my work network then Remote Desktop to the servers for admin tasks and maintenance. Works just as good as my laptop. Now I can bring my Surface when traveling and not have to tote the laptop.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

I've been using it for a while. I VPN into my work network then Remote Desktop to the servers for admin tasks and maintenance. Works just as good as my laptop. Now I can bring my Surface when traveling and not have to tote the laptop.

Do you ever connect via tethering your phone? How is the speed and quality compared to connecting through work or home wifi?

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

Oy, just spent an hour trying to figure out why it was that my firewall wasn't allowing me to connect. Freaking Ad-Aware was blocking incoming for svchost.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

Oh, and as I said before. If you use a 3rd party firewall, and it doesn't have RDP listed as a default option to allow, then be sure to allow traffic to/from svchost.exe. Windows Firewall and some 3rd parties (like McAfee) have Remote Desktop listed.df

theprawn

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

I'd gone looking for this information back when I first got my RT, but I couldn't find it and gave up . . . probably didn't help that I started from a blog post that was pushing third party solutions. This did the trick, thanks for the links guys!

Digital Savior

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I've been using it since I got to use Visual Studio. I use the app though and not the RDClient. And soon, there should be a Splashtop client which will make it easier, and we'll be able to stream videos and games!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

Which do you find to be more responsive, Remote Desktop or TeamViewer? I tried Remote desktop and couldn't set it up so I settled with TeamViewer that works surprisingly well! Willing to try RD again if you think it is any more responsive!

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

Yes please! I would like to hear opinions about the different clients available for our RT.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

Which do you find to be more responsive, Remote Desktop or TeamViewer? I tried Remote desktop and couldn't set it up so I settled with TeamViewer that works surprisingly well! Willing to try RD again if you think it is any more responsive!

Okay so far, I'm liking TeamViewer. I like how it keeps both screens unlocked and I can see everything that is happening. Whereas with Remote Desktop the controlled PC gets logged off when connected. Although, I like RD better in that you can still access your RT, because RD actually gives you option to run in a separate window as opposed to taking up the whole screen. As far as speed, they are pretty similar. It's a little easier to use the snap feature in RD than in TV. I do think it maybe a lot easier setup if you're going to use it outside your home network, because you don't have to mess around with router settings. You just need to log in to your TV account.

VidJuhEffex

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

I use remote desktop, but search the store for it. There is a metro version, its much nicer to run it full-screen and simply swipe back to your computer. Also makes it very easy to connect to multiple boxes as they simply arrange as IE-style tabs in the app bar.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

I use remote desktop, but search the store for it. There is a metro version, its much nicer to run it full-screen and simply swipe back to your computer. Also makes it very easy to connect to multiple boxes as they simply arrange as IE-style tabs in the app bar.

Yes the Metro version works rather well for everyday use. I like how you can just swipe right between the remote PC and your RT environment, without having to log out. But if you need more advanced features like display, audio, keyboard settings, and connection speed, desktop version is the way to go.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

So if I open up my router what possible problems would lay ahead for me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire