DISASTER !! Cracked screen

ngc891

May 9, 2012
Visit site
The unspeakable has happened... My surface fell off my lap at work and the screen has cracked, I am so very cross with myself. :angry:
Is there anywhere in the UK that would be able to repair it? Only had it for a couple of months and it has been my full time work companion. Please help!!

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
My guess would be that it is not going to be cost effective to get it repaired. In the US laptop screens cost around 400 so it's rarely worth getting them replaced UNLESS you have a brand new lappy and it's an expensive one. Do you have any kind of coverage on it? Did you buy it with a credit card? SOMETIMES your credit card will give you loss or damage coverage. It's rare, but worth checking in to.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The unspeakable has happened... My surface fell off my lap at work and the screen has cracked, I am so very cross with myself. :angry:
Is there anywhere in the UK that would be able to repair it? Only had it for a couple of months and it has been my full time work companion. Please help!!

Best thing to do is check that it has warranty if so ring Microsoft support or what it says on the warranty and they will tell you what they can do.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

Did you buy the insurance? With insurance -> free exchange. Without? Going to cost a bit.

Go here:
https://myservice.surface.com/en-GB/Pages/Welcome.aspx

ngc891

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Well I managed to source a new screen and its on its way... Gonna fit it myself, daunting but I'm always up for a challenge!

Rellik66

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Man this stinks, today I discovered that my mom's RT was cracked in the upper right corner sometime between yesterday and this morning. Exact cause unknown but the presence of grandkids yesterday are strong suspect.
She only 'noticed' this because she couldn't tap the search icon in the Netflix app, turns out having a crack can cause an entire part of the screen to not work.

Anyway, right now I am evaluating my options, I do not have a MS total care package which could be problematic, I really don't want to send it in for a expensive repair.... Sooo my only options are full replacement or replace the screen, (I'm not too afraid to get my hands dirty.)

So, does anyone have experience replacing the screen? Any simple guides? (I've seen the iFixit teardown.) From what it looks like, careful prying and heat are what it takes, but what about the contacts?

ngc891

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I managed to replace and fix my surface's screen myself. Only took a couple of hours, used the iFixit guide as a er... guide! You just need a steady hand. As for connectors, there are a few zif connectors in there, just look up on YouTube and you'll see how easy they are to undo/redo once you know. I didn't use a heat gun myself, just used a thin metal spatula and lots of careful elbow grease! As for attaching the new screen, I bought some hybrid glue to give the attached screen a bit of flex.

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Just received new touch cover for Surface RT, I bought this from eBay is to protect the screen, I want to avoid such occasion, after all there's no way to fix my Surface RT in my country, if the glass breaks I'll have to try to send it to US for repairment, and I'm not sure if MS would accept it......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos