"So I'm really looking for something where I can use PowerPoint and Word on the go."

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
says the lady to the Best Buy employee

His response: "Here, this is the Galaxy Tab 2..."

Oh boy, that's what they're recommending for people that want Microsoft Office. He's a tip Best Buy, do right by your customers and not your own tech bias.

I swear, I was so close to walking over there and saying, "And this is the Surface RT with the full version of Microsoft Office 2013." :grin:

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Just a little info as I used to work in a Best Buy and also as a Microsoft Rep in a Best Buy, the MAJORITY of people who work there and I say this with wholehearted truth do not know what the bloody **** they are talking about at all nor do they even know their own inventory!

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I do that all the time. People need real help. A lot of employees don't know a thing. I have sold many items at store while not being employed there. I like it when people do the same for me. I remember years ago working out on a new machine. I was clearly doing it wrong... So many people saw, but only one guy said something. I was very appreciative.

I have seen employees who are either biased or just plain ignorant... They then begin to lead the customer down the wrong path. When I encounter an employee like that while I am shopping, I usually leave without buying a thing. I will pay more at a really knowledgeable store, like my local bike shop, theped.com.... SCREW PERFORMANCE BIKE!!!!!!!

RANT OVER, LOL.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
If I could only get a commission when I'm out and about....

I can't tell you the number of times I've assisted people with their tech shopping. I've even been asked by a sales manager if I'd be willing to educate their sales staff (seriously, I've had this asked of me), to which I suggested talking to their sales rep.

But dang it man, if you see/hear someone being blatantly misinformed when you're out and about, step up and correct them. One of them will be appreciative (the other, maybe not :wink:)

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I too have pulled people aside to give them some info. I'm not biased in any way, I just can't stand it when employees steer customers in the wrong direction; on purpose or not. I've butted into conversations before between a customer and a BB employee, and later been thanked by the customer.

I understand BB employees may not get paid much, but what happened to having pride in your job, and trying to help customers out. And as long as I'm complaining, the same goes for Verizon Wireless store employees. Most are clueless.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The problem is that at Best Buy (at least around 7 years ago this is how it worked, I don't know if it's still that way) is that despite the lack of commissions, you're still pushed to make certain types of sales to get the numbers for that department.

It might be that they're separating the Surface into the PC section and the store management really just wanted them to sell more of what they consider tablets.

It's always horrible for the consumer (I remember that when I worked at a register, for example, that I was required to try to upsell for Rhapsody, for the service plans, for the replacement plans, and worst of all, at one point management decided that we were to try to sell magazine subscriptions to anyone who bought a CD or DVD), but it's just how Best Buy works (or at least did at the time).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that at Best Buy (at least around 7 years ago this is how it worked, I don't know if it's still that way) is that despite the lack of commissions, you're still pushed to make certain types of sales to get the numbers for that department.

It might be that they're separating the Surface into the PC section and the store management really just wanted them to sell more of what they consider tablets.

It's always horrible for the consumer (I remember that when I worked at a register, for example, that I was required to try to upsell for Rhapsody, for the service plans, for the replacement plans, and worst of all, at one point management decided that we were to try to sell magazine subscriptions to anyone who bought a CD or DVD), but it's just how Best Buy works (or at least did at the time).
Radio Shack is the same way. I laughed when the cashier asked me if I wanted a protection plan for a $15 ethernet cable.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Its amazing how people get the jobs in tech shops - I was in pc world the other day looking for a USB 3.0 couldnt see one on the racks and got approached by someone with the shirt on that said KnowHow. (For anyone not familiar with PC world these guys are supposed to "know how" to do things) He asked me what i was after, I said where are your USB 3 sticks? He then proceeded to look at the shelves I had already searched through then when not finding any he said:

KnowHow- "It looks like the smallest ones we do are USB 4GB. I can do a stock check and have a look out the back for you but it looks like they are all in even numbers".
Me- "Seriously? USB three as in massively faster than USB two I wast asking for a 3GB stick"
KnowHow- "Oh right, well these all look like USB two's then. Would you like a 4GB one?"
Random Passerby - "They keep the threes behind the counter mate"

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

They still do that, actually Best Buy doesn't work on commission anymore but even then they still have to sell the warranty and even if they can't, they still have to do "dry" sells

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos