Surface RT File Management and Browser

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Im considering a surface rt since i dont need the full desktop experience the pro offers. Im wondering how well does the rt handle file management in desktop mode am i able to copy/paste/delete files in windows explorer? can i download rar, zip, mp3, and picture files through the browser to any location or folder on my surface as i would be able to on a pc?

i currently have a laptop but was considering the rt because it would mainly only be for media purposes like music, pictures and web browsing with light office uses every now and then but mainly as a media device since thats what i mainly use my laptop for anyway i wanted to try a surface out and see if it could replace my need for a laptop i know the pro does much more but i dont necessarily need all those features for my media purposes necessarily

theprawn

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
The file management is identical to windows 8. You can download anything and move/copy files as usual in desktop mode. Executables won't run and video formats that are supported are limited.

I love my RT, By far this is the best tablet I've owned. It has become my primary non-work PC though admittedly I still have a laptop sitting around for when RT reaches its limits... in which case I just remote desktop.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can do all those things you mentioned in desktop mode just as you would a pc.

It should have no problem filling media, browsing and office needs. If there is something in particular you want to know, mention it and I will test it on my Surface RT.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
what about opening rar and zip files is this possible on the surface rt? im not sure if theres a app or anything for that and i dont remember seeing a winrar or winzip app being installed on the surface rt.

have u used any of the usb attachments like the usb cdr drive on the rt? how well does it perform?

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you can do all those things you mentioned in desktop mode just as you would a pc.

It should have no problem filling media, browsing and office needs. If there is something in particular you want to know, mention it and I will test it on my Surface RT.
thanks ive been browsing reviews all nigh about people complaining its a bit slow and sluggish but i've played with one didnt experience any issues its way snappier than any android tablet ive used .

eventually i want to try it to see if it will/can replace my laptop as my main media device which is what i primarily use my laptop for. i just need a cd burner at times. I would like to find a laptop with a detachable touch screen thats doesnt cost too much but the surface rt seems to be everything i really need except without a cd burner

theprawn

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I've used mice, keyboards, thumbdrives, external hard drive and Xbox controller over USB and all worked great. You can open zip files with windows explorer. RAR would require a separate app, I haven't tried it... I'm still using a laptop as a middleman media server.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
oh so windows 8 does have a winrar type application in the store or something for it? i might just pull the trigger and pick one up....i was a little hesistant but sounds like it does everything i want it to do

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
oh so windows 8 does have a winrar type application in the store or something for it? i might just pull the trigger and pick one up....i was a little hesistant but sounds like it does everything i want it to do
Search the store for Unpacker. Thats what I use.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If your doing file management, and use cloud storage, you can also map network drives from Skydrive, and Box to your file explorer - this is if you want to use something other than the modern ui app. I actually have (2) accounts on pretty much every cloud storage website (dropbox, box, skydrive, etc). You can manage multiple cloud accounts this way - use the app for one account, and map network drive for the other. You can switch between accounts, etc too, depending on which you wan to use.

When I got my Surface, and plugged my 1TB external drive into it, and was able to drag, drop, cut, copy, paste like you should on a standard PC, it was like a breath of fresh air opposed to using an Ipad, and the dreaded iTunes - which I think is the single worst software in the business. How Apple gets away with requiring you to use iTunes, similar to the way I had to with my first iPod back in 2004, is beyond me, and it is also beyond me how people defend the process. It is a$$ backwards, and frustrating, and if I met the guy at apple that decided to keep iTunes sync as the only way to file transfer to an ipad, id kick him in the nuts. just my 2 cents

Marigje Degrande

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey,
I love my new Microsoft Surface, but I'm not so keen on the Store yet...

For example, it can't seem to find the Unpacker and I really need it... Any idea on what might be the issue?

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
swipe in from right side, touch search, type unpacker, and then touch store (below search type box).........you should see it - touch, install

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
If you plan to use your RT for media purposes, I STRONGLY suggest either getting the 64GB model, or getting a high-capacity (32GB or more) MicroSD to go with the 32GB model. Unless you hack it, apps can only be installed on the internal drive, and that fills up FAST once you start downloading from the store (especially when it comes to games).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720