Should windows change RT name?

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I have read many articles lately saying that windows RT should be killed. I know for me and other fans of it that would be a huge let down. I just read an article talking about just a renaming would help. I agree with this. I think most of the people who bought surface RT knew exactly what it was but to others it is just confusing. I always thought they should have just named it something like windows lite so it would distinguish between the two OS's. Now with the update called "blue" I actually think this could have been an amazing name for to.

IMO almost anything other than RT would have been better. So I think that instead of scrapping windows RT a rebranding is in order and a better educating as to what exactly it is (and possibly more minimalistic OS to show off distinctions in the two.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
IMO the name doesn't really matter. Most complaints I have seen are about how it will not the desktop apps they want to run and no matter the name that will still exist. Windows "blue" will be unifying the different OS's and this is the true "fix" IMO.

forked

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the name is confusing and non-descript. I think they should re-name it to something like Surface. Yes, I know that's the name of the tablet but I think standardizing their mobile efforts on that Surface name creates some separation from Windows which I know Ballmer wouldn't like but it would help set those expectations, that it's from Microsoft but it's not necessarily full blown Windows. Plus the Surface name is pretty cool and Windows, for some people, has negative connotations. (Even Windows Surface would be better if the Windows part has to stick around)

While they're at it, the Phone OS should be also be renamed to Surface IMO. Windows Phone just sounds clunky and is easily confused with Windows Mobile although that becomes less of an issue as time passes.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Windows is a brand everyone knows, it doesn't make sense to abandon a well known brand name for one that no one knows IMO. MS has spent practicly their entire existence to the Windows brand and that name is synonymous with them.

forked

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Windows is a brand everyone knows, it doesn't make sense to abandon a well known brand name for one that no one knows IMO. MS has spent practicly their entire existence to the Windows brand and that name is synonymous with them.

Agreed but not everyone has a positive impression of Windows and/or Microsoft so in some cases it works against them. A lot of people have an irrational dislike of MS/Windows. But as you say they have invested a lot in it. I think Windows Surface would work well.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Agreed but not everyone has a positive impression of Windows and/or Microsoft so in some cases it works against them. A lot of people have an irrational dislike of MS/Windows. But as you say they have invested a lot in it. I think Windows Surface would work well.

Bad press is better than no press the old saying goes :-D

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I think windows 9 will combine wp9 and windows rt will go away.
You mean the name or RT would be gone for good?.... its too bad if Microsoft doesn't stick with the arm business, unless Intel can double there battery life within a year there is still a want for this type of device.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
should have made the name WIndows 8 Pure and for x86 called it Windows 8 Heritage or Legacy. It would strongly communicate that Microsoft is moving on and people need to GTFO legacy desktop apps.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
It should have been a variation of Windows 8, since the interfaces are indistinguishable. But it would be stupid to change now, just as it was stupid to change the name of Metro. Which means they probably will change it.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I think windows 9 will combine wp9 and windows rt will go away.

Sorry but that is probably not even a consideration. There will be a Windows 9 or other name with x86 legacy support, Windows RT, and WP. They are not going to merge the naming since the ARM version will never be x86 compatible. I also expect RT as a name will be around for at least a few years since changing names on a new product line so quickly is akin product suicide. The most I expect is some version modifier to define second generation, third generation, etc....

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Sorry but that is probably not even a consideration. There will be a Windows 9 or other name with x86 legacy support, Windows RT, and WP. They are not going to merge the naming since the ARM version will never be x86 compatible. I also expect RT as a name will be around for at least a few years since changing names on a new product line so quickly is akin product suicide. The most I expect is some version modifier to define second generation, third generation, etc....

yeah this is a better option actually. It would be a way to kind of hide RT or at least fade it into the background. Maybe the next version will be Surface 360 . lol

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I'm not the smartest guy out there but every windows iteration is different, there's regular pro enterprise what makes people think Rt isn't different? If people are too dumb to do research on there equipment that they purchase before hand then they deserve to be disappointed in everyway. Just the shear fact of blindly buying something is proving how idiotic the human race is. I for one like the Rt name. It does signal a difference than pro. It doesn't matter if its called lite or what have you. And I also think they made a smart move with two os versions for tablets. BUT the hardest part is going to keep the Rt priced low enough below the pros to make a difference. All the rt is is change and that is what most people are gripping over. Sorry people irritate me.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I'm not the smartest guy out there but every windows iteration is different, there's regular pro enterprise what makes people think Rt isn't different? If people are too dumb to do research on there equipment that they purchase before hand then they deserve to be disappointed in everyway. Just the shear fact of blindly buying something is proving how idiotic the human race is. I for one like the Rt name. It does signal a difference than pro. It doesn't matter if its called lite or what have you. And I also think they made a smart move with two os versions for tablets. BUT the hardest part is going to keep the Rt priced low enough below the pros to make a difference. All the rt is is change and that is what most people are gripping over. Sorry people irritate me.

I can see your point, and its true people should look into things before buying them! ... but there are those people out there and there are ones who are still not getting RT (could also be because they really aren't looking hard enough or don't want to). So I do think a different name could have maybe peaked a few more peoples interest. Do I really care what the name is? Absolutely not, because the product is amazing! But what it comes down to is I don't want to see the RT brand die because of a name or it not being distinct enough from full blown windows

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss