Real world experience: Surface RT vs iPad

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm just wondering - are all the people who are using some other device just so dumb that they don't get how great is surface?

Maybe not dumb but definitely unaware and in some cases just biased. I was in a meeting this Monday and the guy who builds our PC images was saying how much he hated Windows 8 (incl how "hard" it now was to turn it off), another person said she was trying to get used to it and the 4th person was going along with the "its difficult to use" trend. The simple question I asked was how many devices do you own and are their interfaces the same and how easy was it to learn those new interfaces. That brought a moment of realization that the new interface is not such a showstopper as they thought. The image guy mentioned how his mum had difficulty remembering how her PC worked. I then offered up a scenario where a live tile would have all the info needed right there on the start screen but still that was too confusing (according to him).

And therein lies the problem. Windows 8 is a clear departure from what has come before but Microsoft has done such a poor job explaining how its different but better to the average consumer that they just blindly follow the negative views of their friends, mainstream media and blogs. Then you have the stuffy old farts who just cant adapt to anything new (but they all love their bloody ipads) and just want the start menu back so all they have to say about Windows 8 is negative stuff. Yet you read stories like this where people who encounter it in real life use are impressed and some go out and buy but most people just dismiss the new OS. Its all about educating consumers and marketing effectively and this is where Microsoft has failed completely and is the chief reason IMO why Windows 8/RT are not doing well in the market.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
You know, using my Surface is starting to turn into a more enjoyable experience than using my desktop. I can do just about everything I usually do but my Surface is also portable, touch is more convenient and I can install/uninstall programs without worrying about system instability. The only program that I truly miss is Zune. I also have Adobe Photoshop/Premiere Elements that I use for light editing but I use them so infrequently that it's hard to miss something I never use. Everything else is covered. I'm a heavy Office user so,

Office - Check
Email - Check
Netflix/Hulu - Check
Gaming - Check (SNES8X is amazing)
Web - Check
Desktop mode - Super check
File management - Check
Multitasking - Checked

The other 30+ programs that I've installed from the Windows Store is just icing on the cake. The Surface actually provides what I need a computer for and not just a media consumption device. I also have my iMac at work synced with SkyDrive making it a breeze to work on the go. That combo is just hard to beat.

My friend has a 27 inch iMac, loves it. He's a fan of Apple products, though not a devoted ****** like some are. We were hanging out yesterday and I pulled out my Surface RT. Showed off a few apps (he definitely loved SNES8X lol). He was extremely impressed with the multitasking capabilities, quickly dismissing his tablet as the "s---pad" lol.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I've found the best showstopper in a room full of ipads is to pull the wacom pen out and start WRITING notes and drawing diagrams and charts alongside your typed text.

Then connect your tablet to the projector totally wirelessly using the built-in Intel WiDi wireless display capability so they can see your writing in real time. Load up a genuine copy of Ms office (not that imposter crap like pages or iwork on iPad), and start flying between apps, snapping here and there, switching tasks etc... This kind of functionality makes the single task iPad and apple airplay look pathetic.

It brings consistent looks of absolute jealousy from the apple crowd, especially when they see how much more PRODUCTIVE a windows 8 tablet is. It's designed for WORK AND PLAY. iPad was designed as a play device which is kludgy to use as a work device.

I don't have a surface (x220t) but the surface pro is capable of all the same things.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
The general public is resistant to 8/RT mostly because of how unintuitive it is. I can't tell you how many times I've had to Google or search here how to do things that should be simple. For example after 2 1/2 months of use I just learned the side swipe thing that is a substitute for checkboxes in mail last week. An important feature completely hidden AND different than the down swipe most other things use for selection. Microsoft made a lot of boneheaded decisions like that on this thing. It was very frustrating getting the advanced features setup.

I love the capability of my Surface RT but if Microsoft doesn't make major improvements in Blue I think they will be in serious trouble. I'm not convinced they can or that they even understand the problems. They can't even market the Surface worth a damn, all a person knows from their commercials is that it has a keyboard and kickstand that both go click. Oh yeah, and that the keyboards are colorful. They appear to be completely out of touch.

It's nice to read about cases like this where the usefullness of the Surface become evident. But the thing is even a complete id10t can utilize that iPad even if it is less efficient. It takes skill to get the full potential out of a Surface.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
In real world usage the iPad wins hands down simply by virtue of 250,000 high quality, tablet optimised apps. Some of the apps, especially music creation ones are phenomenal.

However, there are some really kick *** things in Surface RT. The ability to just plug in your USB drive, or a USB mouse? Genius. Can't believe this hasn't been done already. I know Android can but it's not as easy to do as on a Surface RT. What Surface RT really needs is apps, and it needs them badly. People want apps. And it really needs a hardware upgrade as well. The screen and the SoC leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not really a tablet user but if I were to buy one right now, the last tablet I'd buy would be the one with such a low res screen as Surface RT. I hope Microsoft rectifies these issues.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I had a real world RT Surface RT experience last week. I had to get a PowerPoint done, but it was also Saturday night and dinner time. So I saved my current work on my laptop to my SkyDrive account, and headed to Panera Bread to grab something to eat. I didn't even think about throwing a charger in my bag when I grabbed the Surface, just my Bluetooth mouse. For me, a mouse is a must when doing any editing or writing. When I got there I didn't have to find a table near an outlet because I had a full charge. I had two people stop and ask about the Surface RT, and many more people taking a long look at it when walking by.

I'm not a "this device is better than that device" kind of person; I use whatever works best in each situation. In the case, the Surface shined and allowed me to get work done, while enjoying my cinnamon role.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm just wondering - are all the people who are using some other device just so dumb that they don't get how great is surface?As much i know Surface IS much better than any Android or iOS based gadget.I really feel sorry about humans on earth,it's kinda mass hysteria about buying useless tablets with clumsy and ugly interface.Good God - there's even NO live tiles on iPAD.I feel so bad about it and i wanna burn down all that other crap provided by Apple and Samsung and other wannabe producers.Brothers and sisters!My comrades!Lets save the world!!!

Surface RT debuts in Russia: high price, modest sales | East-West Digital News

Lol that's exactly how I feel! I feel so bad for the average consumer because they just don't know. They think the iPad and/or iPhone are the best because that's what everyone else has...

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Apps are what make the others great. All the medical, automotive, specialty apps are what make the others great. Hard to deny reality.

Just saying

I like W8 and Surface.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Lol that's exactly how I feel! I feel so bad for the average consumer because they just don't know. They think the iPad and/or iPhone are the best because that's what everyone else has...

Not necessarily. The iPad is a great device; especially for the average consumer. I still prefer my iPad over my Surface RT. It's fast, fluid and has an awesome screen. It has a few apps that I use that are not available for my Surface. The iPhone is a solid device, but I'm an Android and love my DNA. I even use my Lumia 920 before I'll pick up the iPhone.

My point is, it's not a matter of being smart or stupid, it's what works for that individual. There is no right or wrong. For the OP, his Surface worked great for him in that meeting, for others their devices most likely suited them just fine.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to feel bad for them. The majority of them absolutely love their iPad and moving to a Surface RT will be a massive downgrade. Like I said in my previous post, the substandard hardware like the low res screen and the lack of any mainstream apps hinders the potential of Surface RT.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to feel bad for them. The majority of them absolutely love their iPad and moving to a Surface RT will be a massive downgrade. Like I said in my previous post, the substandard hardware like the low res screen and the lack of any mainstream apps hinders the potential of Surface RT.

What a load. I can't argue with the lack of apps, but low res screen of the Surface shot is utter nonsense. If you do your eBook reading on your tablet, then you can't beat the retina display, but the surface consistently beats out the iPad in video playback.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs