Backlight Bleed Anyone?

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I had a Surface RT from the original pre order and finally got tired of the backlight bleed.

It was readily apparent upon boot up when the "Surface" shows on the screen as a glow in the lower corners.
It was also apparent when watching letterboxed video in what should be black corners that were essentially grey and in black background apps such as Tunein Radio.

I returned the unit and the replacement unit was as bad if not worse with backlight bleed not only in the corners but along the lower edge.

I have just sent that one back and waiting for unit #3. I left explicit instructions this time to not send out a unit with this issue.

To add insult to injury after dropping it off at UPS I popped into Bestbuy and the display unit looked perfect to be - granted the ambient light was quite high.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so are you just putting up with it?

I understand this is an issue with LCD's that is hard to control. If it was a $200 Android tablet I might not be so picky but for $700 no way.

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Well the third time is the "Charm" so to speak.

The third unit is pretty much flawless and they UPS'd it back arriving the day after they received my return.

Awesome service!

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I had that on a replacement. I was really unhappy with the standard of the refurb replacements - every single one had something wrong.

Eventually got a new one which was good, but after a protracted struggle that I've never had to go through with the likes of Apple. Second-repeat problem on one example on the Mac side, I had a manager call me (I didn't even ask for it) and took charge of it from start to finish - and eventually when the third repair didn't work, he arranged for a new current replacement. All that took less than half the time it took Microsoft to do the same with a far greater sense of 'we don't really care'.

Let's just leave it at, not a giant fan.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I "put up with it" because every side lit panel I have ever come across has it, TV, ipads, laptops, etc etc. It is the nature of it.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster