Surface cracked glass and Extended Warranty Info

HitTheBricks

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
So, the unthinkable happened. I discovered a crack in the glass of my Surface RT. We take really good care of it and have no idea how it happened. The crack was on the right side of the screen, on the bezel, starting from the case, curving out towards the bezel and back down to the case. I don't have it anymore so I can't take a picture. Anyway, looked like a pressure crack from where you might hold it with your thumbs and it seemed like a product failure to me.

I purchased the extended warranty at the same time in a Microsoft Store. I think there are several warranty names floating around: Microsoft Assure or Complete and there may be for surface, for tablet or for smartphone. Mine says Microsoft Assure for tablet. When I purchased, the sales guy said get this warranty and you're covered - good to go. So, I called the warranty number and learn there's a $50 deductible for any claim, which was news to me. I had never heard of that. I looked through the fine print in my documentation and it said there was only a deductible "for smartphone only. All other devices there is no deductible." The guy on the phone was like, "yea, it's considered the same thing." Ummmm...no, it's not the same thing, and the documentation explicitly says so.

Regardless of what anyone tells you, there IS a $50 deductible for each Surface claim, and you can have two claims in a two year period. Between various employees and documentation, it's very unclear as to what the limitations are. I was even told getting the extended warranty would extend things to three years, which is not the case.

I was really unhappy with the situation (and lengthy phone call), so I went to where I purchased the Surface, explained the situation to the manager and he handed me a new Surface. He also wiped my old one and verified the data was gone while I was standing there. Excellent service and totally gave me a positive experience.

Here's the official deal:
$50 deductible for each claim as long as it can be deemed "accidental"
Two claims in a two year period - they should just say two claims total.
Two year extended warranty
Two year manufacturers warranty - if the camera won't work or you get some dead pixels
Using the extended or manufacturers warranty can be used separately.

Clear as mud? Hope this is helpful for someone going forward.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos