Guest user storage

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

I was thinking about activating the guest account on my Surface RT to let the rest of my family use it, but I wonder if someone knows if it takes up any storage on my tablet If I activate it? Since I don't have so much storage I don't want to activate it if it takes up too much space ;)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Much more secure to create a new standard account, the guest account is susceptible to being hacked. As for storage, all accounts will have a profile that takes up storage with docs, temp tiles, browser cache. You'd have to do some maintenance depending on how much usage the account gets.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
A user profile can get quite big, with downloaded videos, music, browser cache, docs, etc. I'm not sure how much it is when first created but I would guess it to be just a few hundred MB to start with. Its going to depend on how its used but a regular flush of the browser cache should help. This article describes the way I would normally check the size of a user profile: System tool may not correctly display the user profile size in Windows Server 2003.

To be honest, this may all be overkill if the account is not used for much more than browsing but should help if you want to keep an eye on your storage. You should be able to set IE to delete the browser cache on exit to help keep that size in check.

gilezzz

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I have opened an account for my gf (she loves playing the magic puzzle game..) and I haven't noticed a big slump in the storage. I guess the apps are not installed twice (on my account and on hers) so I think it's ok. I'll report back in a few weeks

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
A user profile can get quite big, with downloaded videos, music, browser cache, docs, etc. I'm not sure how much it is when first created but I would guess it to be just a few hundred MB to start with. Its going to depend on how its used but a regular flush of the browser cache should help. This article describes the way I would normally check the size of a user profile: System tool may not correctly display the user profile size in Windows Server 2003.

To be honest, this may all be overkill if the account is not used for much more than browsing but should help if you want to keep an eye on your storage. You should be able to set IE to delete the browser cache on exit to help keep that size in check.
I checked mine and it said 1.5GB. That's not so much, so I will probably set up a second account, but I will wait a little bit and see if it grows, I have only had the surface for a couple of weeks ;)
I have opened an account for my gf (she loves playing the magic puzzle game..) and I haven't noticed a big slump in the storage. I guess the apps are not installed twice (on my account and on hers) so I think it's ok. I'll report back in a few weeks
I'm looking forward to hear from you again! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss