Windows 8.1 Preview for RT

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Wait so if i have 10 gb left and the preview takes up 8 gb, i will only have 2 gb left? uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I have a 32 gb

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Service packs have never added this many things to a version of Windows before. I'm sorry, but that is a completely incorrect statement.

I think you need to do some research to learn more about what changes are coming in Windows 8.1.

There are still unannounced features in Windows 8.1. Microsoft has only publically released certain information about the update. They haven't stated what's included in the entire update yet.

All of the updates in Windows 8.1 are going to enhance Windows RT devices the most. Sure, there are minor improvements for the desktop, but these improvements are dwarfed by the changes made to the metro side of Windows 8.1.

Actually, while this is a substantial update, to say SP's have never added this much is silly. Most of these changes are cosmetic and/or UI enhancements. That is a lot of stuff but in terms of substantive changes to the OS itself, it isn't in the same league as the initial XP SP's or Vista SP 1.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah, I remember that from my CompSci course at Uni... definition of a real OS: #1: Must run legacy apps. /s

There is no such thing as a "real OS".

The reason Windows RT uses more drive than an iPad is simple - the Windows OS is more capable because it is shared from Server to Phone. RT includes a massive driver database which supports 420 million devices and of course eats up disk space because of this.

The OS could be made much smaller - Windows Phone is an example where the same Windows actually only uses 1.6GB - less than iOS 2GB - when it is on targeted and specific hardware without a massive driver database.

Windows Phone shares a kernel with Windows 8 but that is all. It is not, however, in any way the same OS.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Wait so if i have 10 gb left and the preview takes up 8 gb, i will only have 2 gb left? uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I have a 32 gb

So what exactly is your problem? It is called a preview for a reason. You are not forced to install it. When it goes final it will undoubtedly take no more space after installation and cleanup than the current version.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
So what exactly is your problem? It is called a preview for a reason. You are not forced to install it. When it goes final it will undoubtedly take no more space after installation and cleanup than the current version.

That is a pretty big problem actually. lets do a preview where you have to remove stuff to make room. Makes sense.

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

I have a 32 gb

This is incorrect. You need 10GB free for the installation, but by no means does it take up the full amount of space.

I just finished installing the 8.1 Preview on my 32GB Surface RT. Before the installation, I had a little over 12GB free. After the install, I had 14.4GB free. I just checked Disk Cleanup and there's an additional 2.5GB that can be cleared up from the installation. So the preview actually frees up an additional 4.5GB.

Also, once the preview has been installed (which takes about an hour), Windows is still doing some stuff in the background, so don't freak out if it seems a little laggy at first.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
This is incorrect. You need 10GB free for the installation, but by no means does it take up the full amount of space.

I just finished installing the 8.1 Preview on my 32GB Surface RT. Before the installation, I had a little over 12GB free. After the install, I had 14.4GB free. I just checked Disk Cleanup and there's an additional 2.5GB that can be cleared up from the installation. So the preview actually frees up an additional 4.5GB.

Also, once the preview has been installed (which takes about an hour), Windows is still doing some stuff in the background, so don't freak out if it seems a little laggy at first.

Thank you!!

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to confirm, after running Disk Cleanup, I now have a total of 16GB free. When I started the preview update, I had a little over 12GB free. This means that the 8.1 Preview takes up LESS space than 8.0 does, to the tune of 4-5GB less.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to confirm, after running Disk Cleanup, I now have a total of 16GB free. When I started the preview update, I had a little over 12GB free. This means that the 8.1 Preview takes up LESS space than 8.0 does, to the tune of 4-5GB less.

hopefully what this means is they are gutting out legacy crap that is useless on RT.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Anybody update their RT that had one of the indexing setups for their SDcard? As we all know by now, music/video files dont show up on the app as if they were in one of the music and video files in the windows explorer folder. So there were a number of work arounds whether it was junctioning, creating vhd and others. I did the vhd one so that my files in my sdcard recognizes through the music/video apps.

Did the preview update require to redo these steps?

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Anybody update their RT that had one of the indexing setups for their SDcard? As we all know by now, music/video files dont show up on the app as if they were in one of the music and video files in the windows explorer folder. So there were a number of work arounds whether it was junctioning, creating vhd and others. I did the vhd one so that my files in my sdcard recognizes through the music/video apps.

Did the preview update require to redo these steps?

All you have to do is right click on the SD card in My Computer and click add to Music/Video Library. Windows 8.1 makes it a lot easier. Of topic, what what is the update for Windows RT called, Windows RT 8.1?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720