Outlook RT on 8.1 Preview - Reinstall?

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Something isn't working right on my Outlook RT. I'm not sure if I put in a wrong setting somewhere or if my work's Exchange server just isn't accepting the connection, but whatever the case I can't run Outlook at all now.

When it comes up it asks for my credentials. It then fails and asks for the Exchange server and mailbox name verification. That fails as well then whether I cancel or proceed, Outlook claims my .ost file doesn't exist and closes out. So my issues are:

I can't open Outlook far enough to access settings.
I can't uninstall/reinstall Outlook RT.

Does anybody have any ideas I can try? I'm not going to do a refresh just for Outlook I don't think, and even if I did since my application settings are saved to SkyDrive I don't know if that would resolve anything.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I found this link on where to go for support for Outlook RT. Where do I go for support for Outlook 2013 RT? - Microsoft Community

Thanks for that link, I'll give it a try. I'll post back what I find, but it may be awhile as it's a low priority for me right now.

The ost file path doesn't even exist. I wonder if something didn't finish in the setup, or if it was waiting for a successful login to complete setup. I may set up a dummy path and file and see what happens.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
1) I've not had that issue.
2) Check out OneNote Blog - Windows 8.1 Preview and a workaround for your favorite Win+S shortcut key
3) That sounds odd. I just fired up Outlook as normal, pointed it at my Exchange server, all good. Then added my Outlook.com account, all seems to be working OK. I haven't checked, but is the usual hold CTRL and right-click the system tray Outlook icon to show the (Test) Connection Status tool there in this verison? Might be worth seeing if any errors are shown.
4) I've not noticed that.
5) Yep. Seems to be a widespread issue. There's some potential fixes including resetting the cache (run wsreset.exe from a command prompt) or clearing the Downloaded Program Files folder (at your own risk etc).
6) I unmounted my SD card folder and then added the locations to Libraries and it seemed to work OK for me.

oktoberrust11

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Something isn't working right on my Outlook RT. I'm not sure if I put in a wrong setting somewhere or if my work's Exchange server just isn't accepting the connection, but whatever the case I can't run Outlook at all now.

When it comes up it asks for my credentials. It then fails and asks for the Exchange server and mailbox name verification. That fails as well then whether I cancel or proceed, Outlook claims my .ost file doesn't exist and closes out. So my issues are:

I can't open Outlook far enough to access settings.
I can't uninstall/reinstall Outlook RT.

Does anybody have any ideas I can try? I'm not going to do a refresh just for Outlook I don't think, and even if I did since my application settings are saved to SkyDrive I don't know if that would resolve anything.

If you're still looking for a suggestion, I had the same issue when setting up my Outlook. I ended up un-installing the 8.1 update, and re-installing. It took a few times to get the settings correct for some reason, and if you input something incorrectly, there's not an easy way that I've found that you can go back and change it, it just keeps giving you the error. I've tried deleting the .ost file, and that didn't help.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
They have been for many, many versions of Windows :wink:

Yeah, but I don't remember it being in RT before and I can't remember the last time I configured mail through there. Seems so obvious now.

I finally got my work Exchange email to work too. The connection seems kinda flaky though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium