8.1 Pro and RT: Battery life changes?

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
what does powercfg /sleepstudy from an elevated command prompt give you? "Microsoft UART V2 Driver" at 100% in sleep?
I suspect this is something that'll get fixed in RTM. Remember 8.1 is a *preview*, it's not finished code...

WOW thanks. It is indeed the microsoft UART v2 driver that consume battery during sleep. I went to device manager, system devices, disable that sucker and guess what, it FIXED the problem. I don't care what is UART device but as long as my battery is not dropping, I'm happy.

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have had the same issue on my Asus Vivotab RT, so this seems to be more a Windows RT 8.1 issue than a Microsoft Surface RT issue.
Currently I'm trying the UART thing as well.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
WOW thanks. It is indeed the microsoft UART v2 driver that consume battery during sleep. I went to device manager, system devices, disable that sucker and guess what, it FIXED the problem. I don't care what is UART device but as long as my battery is not dropping, I'm happy.

Bummer, I thought this fixed the battery problem but it did not.

oktoberrust11

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
what does powercfg /sleepstudy from an elevated command prompt give you? "Microsoft UART V2 Driver" at 100% in sleep?
I suspect this is something that'll get fixed in RTM. Remember 8.1 is a *preview*, it's not finished code...

Thanks, it was 100% in sleep mode for me. I'll try disabling and see if it fixes the issue for now, without affecting any other services.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Any hope on dealing with the other storage problem? Its cramping my phone.
Also is there anyway we can save apps on the sd?

Wrong section of the forums mate, this is for Windows 8.1, not Windows PHONE 8.1 :)

About the issue at hand, I haven't noticed a battery draining issue until I came to this post - I have been charging it more than before, but I do think that is because more RAM is being used due to apps not being closed all of the way (holding the app all the way down for a couple of seconds before releasing). I just noticed I had News 360 still taking up memory even though I stopped viewing it awhile ago.

So, yeah, there's a battery issue going on and hopefully RTM does fix it.

Claudia Wey

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I am experiencing the exact same problem with my SurfaceRT. The battery got a huge hit. I am hoping this is something Microsoft will fix in the official OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon