8.1 to Surface next month?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This is just a thought, but with 8.1 going RTM next month, why wouldn't Microsoft push it out to the Surface RT then and there?

There's only one model and sitting on it for the following 2 months for OEMs to validate is kind of pointless, as they are the OEM and it should require no driver changes at that point etc.

Yes, this is one of those complete BS posts with a little logic that will probably be proven worthless as they have no reason to give preference to loyal customers, but there we go.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
There's probably no technical reason. But if you believe the various articles around the web about the state of Win8 (in general) sales, I wouldn't be surprised if the OEM's would love some extra commercial edge for a while to try and boost sales.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
well I just read in Zdnet... huh that site with so many trollytrolls, but we still find MJF there and edbott... BUT anyway.

she says "While I've heard some Microsoft watchers predicting that RTM and general availability of the Windows 8.1 bits won't happen simultaneously, this is not what I have heard from my sources. While new devices preloaded with the Windows 8.1 bits will probably not be out until late September/early October, I have heard that the general availability of the Windows 8.1 bits won't be held back this time around. I think users will be able to get the 8.1 bits simultaneously or very shortly after RTM."

I guess the difference this time, its that this isnt a new OS, its just a free upgrade over 8.0.
Also Im sure Microsoft wants to release 8.1 for surface RT and surface pro as soon as they can. so why would they hold 8.1 for 2 months from consumers, if they are the makers of Windows and Surface? it doesnt make sense, just like I don't think they would release 8.1 only for Surfaces while other users wait 2 months for GA. so I believe in MJF sources, since it makes sense to release 8.1 a little after RTM, especially since windows is updating faster, so the faster consumers get the update the better.

oh I forgot to paste the link of the article if you want to read it :)
http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-confirms-windows-8-1-to-rtm-by-august-7000017769/

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
well I just read in Zdnet... huh that site with so many trollytrolls, but we still find MJF there and edbott... BUT anyway.

she says "While I've heard some Microsoft watchers predicting that RTM and general availability of the Windows 8.1 bits won't happen simultaneously, this is not what I have heard from my sources. While new devices preloaded with the Windows 8.1 bits will probably not be out until late September/early October, I have heard that the general availability of the Windows 8.1 bits won't be held back this time around. I think users will be able to get the 8.1 bits simultaneously or very shortly after RTM."

I guess the difference this time, its that this isnt a new OS, its just a free upgrade over 8.0.
Also Im sure Microsoft wants to release 8.1 for surface RT and surface pro as soon as they can. so why would they hold 8.1 for 2 months from consumers, if they are the makers of Windows and Surface? it doesnt make sense, just like I don't think they would release 8.1 only for Surfaces while other users wait 2 months for GA. so I believe in MJF sources, since it makes sense to release 8.1 a little after RTM, especially since windows is updating faster, so the faster consumers get the update the better.

oh I forgot to paste the link of the article if you want to read it :)
Microsoft confirms Windows 8.1 to RTM by August | ZDNet

I completely agree with what you have said here.

I have also heard that 8.1 for existing users will be available very shortly after it goes RTM :smile:

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
According to some reports, Surface users should be seeing the update at the start of September, which is only a few weeks after RTM. I've been loving the 8.1 Preview overall, so I'm very excited that the final build could be coming so soon!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism