Does anyone have a EN-US (US) Recovery Drive for Windows RT 8.0?

allanshute

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I encountered the same issue!! Everytime I try booting from USB I get error 0x0000005C.
Any solution for this?
Ok thanks, I've tried using 2 different sets of recovery files and I just can't get recovery to work. :( When I try booting off the USB drive I get:

Your PC needs to restart. Please hold down the power button. Error Code: 0x0000005C.

If I try to recover through the "factory reset" option it tells me files are missing. Not sure why I can't get this to reset.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I'm creating a 7-zip zip archive of Starlog's files from Google Drive (maximum compression). I'll mirror the archive on my http/FTP server if that's okay with you.

I'll post link soon!

EDIT: Also created a Readme.txt to go along with the zip file! Step-by-step tutorial, hopefully it helps.

Progress: Uploading...

Last edited:

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I encountered the same issue!! Everytime I try booting from USB I get error 0x0000005C.
Any solution for this?

Hey, I just read a comment on the YouTube video for the restoring tutorial. Apparently, if you're getting an error, you should take out the Micro SD card in your Surface. Did that work?

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
MIRROR FOR SURFACE RT RECOVERY! (server in US)
Regular Download Link
Direct Download Link

FTP Download
FTP Address: ftp://mobilemp.net
FTP Username: SurfaceFTP
FTP Password: Surface8

Step-by-step instructions to restore your Surface!
0) Make sure you remove the MicroSD card, if you have one in your Surface.

1) Format the USB drive you're going to boot from. Make sure the USB is formatted FAT32.

2) Copy all files inside the folder "Recovery USB-en-RT" and paste them to your USB.

3) Plug USB into Surface and also plug charger in. Then, boot it up while pressing AND holding Power + Volume Down.

4) Choose your language, which is probably going to be English, United States.

5) Choose your keyboard layout, which is probably US.

6) Select option "Troubleshoot".

7) Select option "Reset your PC".

8) Touch "Next".

9) Choose your current OS.

10) Select "Yes, repartition the drives"

11) You can select either. "Just remove my files" will be much faster.

12) Touch "Reset".

Then, Surface RT will reset itself. It will take probably less than 10 minutes. You can then set up your PC however you want.

Last edited:

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Just to let everyone know, I just removed permissions to download my files. I said I was going to do this like a week or 2 back but I let it be for awhile longer.

If you already downloaded and still need the password, PM me. I don't respond to email requests regarding the password, nor do I answer to requests from posts. I do it this way so all requests are in one spot, and you are required to sign up for WPCentral.

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
i also bought a surface RT, and at arival i thought to upgrade is to 8.1 preview, but that ended in a BSOD.
so i really would like to have the recovery.
is there still a way to get it?
regards,
Alfred

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Yep, my way is still up! Follow my steps in my post above! It's on Page 2.

Simply download the recovery image the way you want to (regular download or FTP), then follow my instructions to guide you in your recovery process.

xyexz

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I just had to get on here and say GIANT thanks to interopbyt for the information, files and steps for the RT recovery.

After putting 8.1 RT on there I decided I didn't like where the Surface RT was headed and wanted to sell it (I'm sure I'll get flamed for this on here) but I couldn't reset my 8.1 preview and it was tied to my main live account that I use daily with my windows phone among other things.

This has freed it up to be sold in hopes for a Surface 2 or perhaps something else - who knows.

It's people like you that really make the internet awesome :D

Sorry if someone else had assisted interopbyt and I missed you - thanks to you as well.

Taiye Ajisafe

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi mase123987,my name is Taiye, i recently upgraded my asus vivotab rt to windows 8.1 preview. now, my rear camera LED flash isn't working any more. i feel if i reset it to factory settings, it might work again. but my problem now is that each time i do a factory reset, the windows comes back as windows 8.1. i have been searching since last month on how to get this problem of re-installing back the windows rt that came with the rt but nothing yet. i just stumbled upon this forum and i thought i should let you know my problem, probably you can help. i have no back-up from the previous windows rt as well. thanks in anticipation.

Last edited:

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey Taiye,

You can restore your Surface RT back to how it was originally (without 8.1) easily by following my steps listed in my post in Page 2! Don't worry, you don't need a backup of your own, as you can simply download the backup image from my mirror.

Dn Bianco

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi interopbyt, thaks for your help.
I installed Windows RT 8.1 (RTM) on my Surface...(I installed it from an ISO, it's not the RT Preview) but I really want to back to Windows RT 8.0, because now I have some issues (language issues), and I want to have RT 8.0 again.

I know after installing 8.1 it's impossible to go back to 8.0 (This is mentioned indeed in Microsoft's website)

Are you sure that following the steps you mention, I can back to Windows RT 8.0 and it's factory settings?

I'm looking forward for your reply.
Thanks!

armelwani

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Dn Bianco - I, too, installed 8.1RTM from the ISO file, and was very disappointed that the battery drain issue wasn't resolved. I followed INTEROPBYT instructions, and the download from his server, and have successfully returned my Surface back to 8.0. In addition, the battery drain issue has been resolved now that I'm back on 8.0, so I'm a happy camper! Hopefully Microsoft will get this resolved by Oct. when 8.1 officially comes out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett