I was thinking about maybe getting one of these when the price gets lower. The biggest thing that brings me to this instead of an atom tablet is the free office. But there are some questions that I have, as the reviews that I'm really able to find are a bit dated. I have been reading somewhere (ZDnet) that Microsoft has been constantly improving the firmware of the Surface RT. But I suppose the list of questions I have can be summed up as thusly.

1) Nobody really says how the color quality of the screen is. So how is it?
    2) Is it fast? Everything I've read says it's slow, but the media does love to hate Windows 8.
    3) About how many tabs can I open on IE before it bogs down?
    4) Speakers seem to be hit and miss... and by that, I mean articles can't seem to agree. How are they?
    5) How's the wifi strength?
    6) Do you think it'll ever get the mystic 5th core improvement? Okay, it's not mystic... but I know that the fifth core is apparently not being utilized to its fullest.
    7) Think RT is getting Modern UI Office in 2014 when it comes out?
    8) Should I put any stock into the rumors that Microsoft is thinking about getting rid of RT?

Thank you for your time.

Edit: Also... is 32 big enough?
    07-13-2013 09:30 AM
    From "my" point of view,

1. I think the colour on the RT screen is very good
    2. For a tablet, and I have a Android Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, yes I think it just as fast as any other tablet.
    3. I tend to use the "desktop IE" most of the time and have no problems with that, the app one I've had no problems.
    4. Unlike my Galaxy Note 10.1 where the speakers face forward, the Surface ones are at the side, but good sound, not as good as my deck stereo, but its a tablet.
    5. I have had no problems using my tablet all over the house and in my back garden, but its all down to how good your wireless router is.
    6. Who knows what the future may bring.
    7. I manage with the way it is a present but again, it could be better if more touch compliant.
    8. No, No, No, I think RT is here for a long while yet, I believe support going forward is until 2016, so far.
    I bought the 64Gig and put in a 32 gig micro sd, it depends on how much you want to download in the way of apps. I just love my RT and gave my wife the Samsung and even went back to Windows 8 phone and gave my wife my samsung galaxy s3 mini. Jim
    07-13-2013 10:22 AM
    I highly recommend it. I bought a 64 GB with a type waaaay back in March, and I really enjoy. I've never understood some of the negative reviews/reviewers labeling Surface RT as underpowered and useless. I am a working journalist, and it has handled everything I have thrown at it. Heck, it has replaced my laptop. Now I know everyone's situation is different; I do not need the ability to run accounting apps, Photoshop, etc., for instance. But even if you're just looking for an awesome tablet that supports media consumption AND content creation, it's fantastic IMO.

1. The screen color and brightness is great.
    2. It is very fast. From web browsing, to switching between apps, to multi taking. I have never encountered a moment when it lagged. (And I have about 25 GB of music stored locally.)
    3. This I'm not sure of. Although I have had 8+ tabs open and never experienced any sort of bogging down.
    4. There was an update not so long ago that increase the volume on the speakers. I've never had an issue with them.
    5. Like the person above me said, I've used it in a ton of different places and never had an issue.
    6. Don't know enough about it to comment.
    7. No idea, but I sure hope so.
    8. No, you shouldn't. They actually just extended the lifecycle of Surface to 36 months. So, as of today, it's until 2017: Microsoft Product Lifecycle Search

Of course, all of the above is my personal opinions on the device and my experiences with it
    HeyCori likes this.
    07-13-2013 11:04 AM
    So if the screen is good and the speakers are decent, it'd be good enough to watch some good shows on? I'd rather not have to open up my laptop just to watch some Dr Who every now and again.

Edit: Laptop is a MBA, if that makes any difference.
    07-13-2013 11:46 AM
    Color reproduction is excellent. Though not as good as other tablets, I still find that images look fantastic. Microsoft's Cleartype technology is definitely underrated as it makes text look great despite the low resolution. Microsoft explains why they chose 1366768 resolution for the Surface RT - Neowin

2) Is it fast? Everything I've read says it's slow, but the media does love to hate Windows 8.

The Tegra 3, while old, is still a pretty powerful chip. It does lose out when compared to the iPad 3/4 and newer Android tablets but don't let the raw numbers fool ya. The Surface still runs very well and multitasking is great. Here's an example.

The two biggest problems I have are apps that aren't optimized. For example, menu transitions in Angry Birds Space are smooth as butter but switching menus in Cut the Rope causes huge amounts of lag because it's not optimized to run on the Tegra 3. The other problem I have are websites that aren't IE friendly. A lot of sites are based on Apple's webkit (i.e. Safari) and don't play well with other browsers. For example, Gametrailers.com routinely messes up on my Surface. Sometimes it'll even mess up on Firefox on my iMac. However, Gametrailers is always rock solid when using Safari on the iPad.

On the plus side, you do get full fledged flash support. Plus Netflix now works natively in the browser in 8.1.

Usually you will have to wait for a tab to finish loading before switching between tabs. But once opened I've never had a problem with it bogging down my Surface.

4) Speakers seem to be hit and miss... and by that, I mean articles can't seem to agree. How are they?

As mentioned, there's an update to improve speaker quality.

I think it does a great job of picking up distant hotspots but people have reported WiFi connection issues. My experience was pretty solid but I've had a few issues since downloading the 8.1 beta. The actual speed itself works fine, IMO.

6) Do you think it'll ever get the mystic 5th core improvement? Okay, it's not mystic... but I know that the fifth core is apparently not being utilized to its fullest.
    The 5th core is for the battery. It won't squeeze out any extra processing power. That said, Microsoft has done a great job of optimizing the Surface for 8.1 IMO, a highly noticeable improvement. For example, moving folders in desktop mode used to lag pretty bad but that has basically been eliminated in 8.1

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. Personally, I'd rather stick with my desktop Office.

8) Should I put any stock into the rumors that Microsoft is thinking about getting rid of RT?
    Microsoft's recent corporate reshuffling shows that they are even more committed to their hardware, including RT. I don't foresee Microsoft ditching RT tablets any time soon. However, there is a rumored price cut to $350, most likely to clear stock before a new Surface drops in the fall.

9) is 32 big enough?
    No but you can add a 64GB card. The 8.1 beta also allows SD cards to be added to the Windows' libraries so Music/Video can read them.

Sorry for the short replies but it's back to work!
    07-13-2013 11:49 AM
    I was thinking about maybe getting one of these when the price gets lower. The biggest thing that brings me to this instead of an atom tablet is the free office. But there are some questions that I have, as the reviews that I'm really able to find are a bit dated. I have been reading somewhere (ZDnet) that Microsoft has been constantly improving the firmware of the Surface RT. But I suppose the list of questions I have can be summed up as thusly.

-I think it is great. I really don't see any difference between my iPad3 or Surface. I don't use them side-by-side obviously, so maybe there is a difference if you are looking to do an actual comparison, but when you are simply using it, the color quality is great.

-It isn't fast like a core i7 PC (obviously). I'd say it is a smidge less "smooth" than the iPad. But its not a problem. I'd say its pretty good for a tablet. The RT email client is a bit sluggish and needs more work to make it smoother, but not a dealbreaker in my view. The next update will come with IE 11 which will make browsing better apparently (pages will load faster, particularly when going "back;" IE 10 RT can use a swipe gesture to go back to the prior webpage, but currently it seems to re-load the entire page)

-Not sure, never tried... though the current way IE 10 RT is setup to use tabs makes it somewhat weird. Using desktop IE 10, I think you can have plenty of tabs open.

-The update I think made the speakers great! They are loud and good quality. Louder and better than my iPad for sure.

-No problems with wifi strength on mine. Good as any other.

-Not sure. Hopefully!?

-Again, hopefully.

-No. Tech journalists I have found say anything for website clicks.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: Also... is 32 big enough?
    I have 32 GB and its perfect for me. I have a lot of apps and games and still have 7 GB free (even with the 4 GB restore partition). I have a 64 GB micro SD for music, videos. I use skydrive for access to pictures and documents, onenote, etc.
    07-13-2013 02:52 PM
    I am going to buy the surface rt 32gb with type cover. On marktplaats (Dutch kinda eBay) there was someone who can buy the tablets for a low price because of an action for schools. Normally it would be 620 but now I can buy it for just 375. That is really worth it!

UPDATE: Canceled it because the surface rt now has a pricedop :P
    Last edited by DenniSundaY; 07-15-2013 at 08:10 AM.
    07-13-2013 03:03 PM