Hi guys

Considering buying a surface rt now that there has been a price cut in the uk!
    However I really want the pro pen. I realize that the pro's pen doesn't work with the surface rt but are there any alternative pens that any of you are using? Any recommendations? Do they work well with handwriting recognition ect?
    ps any ideas about good sleeves to put the surface rt in to keep it protected in a bag.

Thanks
    Last edited by hahaha10000; 07-15-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    07-15-2013 11:45 AM
    Sadly, without an active digitizer in the Surface RT, you're limited to the fatter capacitive stylus like this one.

This style stylus will give you a bit more accuracy.
    hahaha10000 likes this.
    07-15-2013 12:07 PM
    thanks so is that the best out there and nothing thinner without the disk? any ideas for sleeves?
    many thanks
    07-15-2013 12:49 PM
    Warning.... It's not a good solution. I tried one early on, but the handwriting looked like a preschooler's chicken scratch. Think old signature pad for credit cards for quality.
    07-15-2013 12:53 PM
    Well it is considerably cheaper than the surface pro, and I don't need the desktop apps so I would just be buying it for the pen. so I guess it is reasonable to expect worse quality on a cheaper tablet, but is it still useable? does the recognition still work?
    07-16-2013 04:27 AM
    Here's a comparison video

hahaha10000 and Rhody#WP like this.
    07-16-2013 09:02 AM
    The best pen for capacitive displays would be the adonit pens. Jot classic is not much different to the jot pro, although the Jot pro offers rubberized grip and a magnetic clip, but even with the magnetic clip it is fairly stubby when clipped on the sides of the RT, so with the jot classic you would save a few bucks. Also the best case for the surface rt or pro is branded by incipio, its the one with the front pocket and comes in same colors as the touch / type covers. Handwriting recognition works, problem is its a pain to keep your palm from touching the screen when writing.
    hahaha10000 likes this.
    07-16-2013 09:37 AM
    I've found the handwriting recognition to be more of a novelty on the RT than a useful thing. Must've only used it a few times in meetings, I prefer just to type into OneNote.

I've got the Incipio sleeve. It does a good job as a sleeve, but as soon as you put anything in the pocket (a wedge mouse, a stylus/pen and a tiny wifi hotspot for example) it bulges and "tightens" the whole sleeve. Haven't even thought how annoying it would be to add a power supply in there. The wedge mouse also has a major design flaw in that when put in a sleeve pocket, the power button gets pressed on. And I wish the sleeve had a carry handle. I'll be looking for a better case/sleeve with a handle and room for accessories.
    07-16-2013 08:10 PM
    The pen in the video posted above looks pretty good. I just have one of the fat tipped pens, which is ok if using the handwriting recognition input instead of the touch keyboard due to its fantastic handwriting recognition, (seriously, it's amazing-my handwriting is at least as bad as the fat-tipped pen in the video and I'm writing this whole post using it now quickly and error free). however if you are drawing or writing text just to read later without handwriting recognition then you will want something better.
    07-16-2013 10:43 PM
    I've found the handwriting recognition to be more of a novelty on the RT than a useful thing. Must've only used it a few times in meetings, I prefer just to type into OneNote.

I've got the Incipio sleeve. It does a good job as a sleeve, but as soon as you put anything in the pocket (a wedge mouse, a stylus/pen and a tiny wifi hotspot for example) it bulges and "tightens" the whole sleeve. Haven't even thought how annoying it would be to add a power supply in there. The wedge mouse also has a major design flaw in that when put in a sleeve pocket, the power button gets pressed on. And I wish the sleeve had a carry handle. I'll be looking for a better case/sleeve with a handle and room for accessories.
    Yeah it does bulge when stuff are put in, but it's convenient for students like me to put small stuff like pens and scrap paper. I haven't had the power button trigger, maybe because I put in my bag rather than carrying it around. The only reason I got this case is because the other ones are like flip covers that makes it look like leather notebooks, and they wear off and become flimsy over time. Have you considered laptop bags? They may not be cases but they have room for the laptop and accessories.
    07-17-2013 01:39 AM
    If you're going to use this primarily to take handwritten notes, then I would not personally recommend the Surface RT. You are not going to be pleased

As far as I can tell, the digitizer/touchscreen was designed for touch and is not accurate enough for pen input/inking.

Even a capacitive pen is lousy on the surface, but works great on my gen1 iPad

There should be a post here recently I started that was asking the same thing.
    07-17-2013 04:46 PM
    thanks for all the help guys, guess I will wait until the surface 2 range comes out and hope for a digitiser in a cheaper surface.
    07-18-2013 04:37 AM