Cannot activate Windows RT 8.1 after doing a factory reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

allanshute

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Greetings from China...

I have a Dell XPS 10 which runs Windows RT. Everything works perfect until I upgrade to Windows 8.1 RT and make a restore to factory default.
I upgraded from Windows Store and it runs well. Things went bad after I did a factory reset. I found similar problems reported by Surface RT users as well.
windows rt preview 8.1 not activated - Microsoft Community

The system keeps asking me to activate Windows but I don't have any product key to activate. Any idea for this?

And I'm thinking of using a USB recovery drive to recover my XPS10 to Windows RT 8. And I downloaded all files from this post but I don't have the password to unrar... http://forums.windowscentral.com/surface-windows-rt/232959-2.htm
If anyone knows (or mase123987 you see this thread) the password for that RAR file please PM me. Thank you very much.....

Last edited:

kwajr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
How did you upgrade to 8.1,if you didn't do it by the ms way then screw you

Sent from my RM-893 Lumia 925

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
How can your warranty expire that fast? Mine is up to October 2015 and I bought I last October 2012.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I had this same problem on my surface RT. I called Tech support and they emailed me a file. I still have that email and zip file with instructions. I can email it to you if you want, but Im not sure if it'll work for your case. You can read the email and decide for yourself. Here is what the email said:

Attached is the file to fix the activation issue you are having with the Windows RT 8.1 Preview.

1. <!--[endif]-->Please save the attached ZIP file (RTactivation.ZIP) to your Surface.
2. <!--[endif]-->Browse to the location of where the ZIP file is saved (the Downloads folder by default).
3. <!--[endif]-->Right click (or tap and hold) on the ZIP file and select Extract. By default this will create a new folder with the same name as zipped file.
4. <!--[endif]-->Inside the new folder is a file named RTactivation.cmd - it will have what looks like a gear as its icon. Right click (or tap and hold) on the file and select Run as Administrator.

You will see your Surface switch to the Desktop and a black command window open up. The script will automatically run a series of commands, so you will see text appear in the window, a pause, then more text, then a pause, etc. Just let the script run until the script completes and the black command window closes automatically.

After the script completes, restart your Surface and when Surface connects to the internet, activation should be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb