CalDAV and CardDAV coming to Surface RT?

Matt J

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi All... This is my first post. I just picked up a Surface RT yesterday and installed the 8.1 preview right away.

The ONLY complaint I have is that I can't sync my Google Calendar and Contacts.... Seems strange since I can do it on my BlackBerry Z10 no problem through CalDAV and CardDAV, but there doesn't seem to be the option for the RT.

Does anyone know if there is a decent workaround, or when it will be implemented? I thought that 8.1 would address this issue, but no luck.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: CalDAV and CardDav coming to Surface RT?

8.1 is not finalized yet, plus the People and Calendar apps can be updated independent of the OS which is where your support would come into play.

Matt J

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the replies. I know that all Exchange Active Sync support for GMail will stop on July 31, 2013. This means that ALL customers that had their GMail, Calendar and Contacts "grandfathered" in with EAS will lose all support for syncing with Google. I would hope that before July 31, an update is issued that will allow these users to have a functioning solution through IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV.

Here's looking for an update before then...

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

CardDAV and CalDAV is a POS syncing solution BTW. This was all just a ruse and even Google is dropping it and pushing their proprietary Calendar API.

Matt J

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

Well, today is July 31 and Google will officially cut of EAS sync for all devices today. I wonder if we will see an app update to allow for CalDAV and CardDAV syncing? Otherwise, all Google services, except for IMAP email, cannot be used on the Surface.

polbit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

Well, today is July 31 and Google will officially cut of EAS sync for all devices today. I wonder if we will see an app update to allow for CalDAV and CardDAV syncing? Otherwise, all Google services, except for IMAP email, cannot be used on the Surface.

Well, they are cutting off new devices. If you have already set up your Google account, you are fine.

As far as MS releasing an update, it might be a while. Not even every Win 8 phone has the update to allow CalDAV and CardDAV syncing yet, only select few. I certainly hope they do soon, using Gmail through IE11 is adding to my grey hair...

Matt J

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

Well, they are cutting off new devices. If you have already set up your Google account, you are fine.

As far as MS releasing an update, it might be a while. Not even every Win 8 phone has the update to allow CalDAV and CardDAV syncing yet, only select few. I certainly hope they do soon, using Gmail through IE11 is adding to my grey hair...

I originally thought that existing users would be grandfathered, but I think all Activesync dies on July 31 for Google services. The article below talks about Windows Phone 8, but I believe it extends to all OSs, including BlackBerry 10, iOS, etc... It's so hard to find a definite answer, but I guess I will know tomorrow if my PlayBook stops getting email through the EAS Google account I set up in 2011.

Most Windows Phone 8 users should say good-bye to Gmail calendar and contacts sync | NEWS.GNOM.ES

polbit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

I originally thought that existing users would be grandfathered, but I think all Activesync dies on July 31 for Google services. The article below talks about Windows Phone 8, but I believe it extends to all OSs, including BlackBerry 10, iOS, etc... It's so hard to find a definite answer, but I guess I will know tomorrow if my PlayBook stops getting email through the EAS Google account I set up in 2011.

Most Windows Phone 8 users should say good-bye to Gmail calendar and contacts sync | NEWS.GNOM.ES

Well, I'm looking at this article:

PSA: Windows Phones to lose Google Sync activation on August 1st

Let's hope it's not for all, just new...

icthusman1

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

I'm pretty sure that even existing customers will get the axe. However, it looks like Google has extended EAS support until December 31 to give MS time to get CardDAV and CalDAV running.

Google again extends ActiveSync support for its services on Windows Phone until December 31st | Windows Phone Central

Everything I had seen in the past stated it would not apply to devices that were already using the service. It has nothing to do with whether you are an existing customer or not. So my HTC Arrive running WP7.8 which will never see an upgrade from Sprint will continue to be able to use EAS for Google services. Of course, now that Google has extended the date I should have a new phone before then that has GDR2 so it won't matter. It does however mean that my new Surface RT that I just got can't use my Google calendar without painful workarounds.

Matt J

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Well, the official Windows 8.1 RT is out... and still no CardDAV and CalDAV support. Honestly, this is such a huge issue for me using GMail and Google Calendar.... Argh...

Matt J

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Good news! There is an app in the Windows Store that can now sync Google Calendar, Exchange, Facebook, Hotmail, Live and Outlook all in one!!!

It's called OneCalendar

The developer is Blue Edge

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea