Hi All... This is my first post. I just picked up a Surface RT yesterday and installed the 8.1 preview right away.

The ONLY complaint I have is that I can't sync my Google Calendar and Contacts.... Seems strange since I can do it on my BlackBerry Z10 no problem through CalDAV and CardDAV, but there doesn't seem to be the option for the RT.

Does anyone know if there is a decent workaround, or when it will be implemented? I thought that 8.1 would address this issue, but no luck.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Matt J; 08-02-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    07-25-2013 04:18 PM
    Nothing has been announced yet by Microsoft, unfortunately. How to sync Google services with Windows - Microsoft Windows Help
    07-25-2013 04:26 PM
    8.1 is not finalized yet, plus the People and Calendar apps can be updated independent of the OS which is where your support would come into play.
    07-25-2013 04:45 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I know that all Exchange Active Sync support for GMail will stop on July 31, 2013. This means that ALL customers that had their GMail, Calendar and Contacts "grandfathered" in with EAS will lose all support for syncing with Google. I would hope that before July 31, an update is issued that will allow these users to have a functioning solution through IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV.

Here's looking for an update before then...
    07-26-2013 10:33 AM
    CardDAV and CalDAV is a POS syncing solution BTW. This was all just a ruse and even Google is dropping it and pushing their proprietary Calendar API.
    07-26-2013 10:45 AM
    CardDAV and CalDAV is a POS syncing solution BTW. This was all just a ruse and even Google is dropping it and pushing their proprietary Calendar API.
    No.

Google re-opens CalDAV | ZDNet
    07-26-2013 11:12 AM
    Well, today is July 31 and Google will officially cut of EAS sync for all devices today. I wonder if we will see an app update to allow for CalDAV and CardDAV syncing? Otherwise, all Google services, except for IMAP email, cannot be used on the Surface.
    07-31-2013 11:00 AM
    I consider that a good feature.
    07-31-2013 11:35 AM
    Dude, stop it already. We know you hate Google. That's great. You don't have to respond to every post about Google. Just put it in your sig.
    07-31-2013 08:58 PM
    Well, today is July 31 and Google will officially cut of EAS sync for all devices today. I wonder if we will see an app update to allow for CalDAV and CardDAV syncing? Otherwise, all Google services, except for IMAP email, cannot be used on the Surface.
    Well, they are cutting off new devices. If you have already set up your Google account, you are fine.

As far as MS releasing an update, it might be a while. Not even every Win 8 phone has the update to allow CalDAV and CardDAV syncing yet, only select few. I certainly hope they do soon, using Gmail through IE11 is adding to my grey hair...
    07-31-2013 09:02 PM
    Well, they are cutting off new devices. If you have already set up your Google account, you are fine.

As far as MS releasing an update, it might be a while. Not even every Win 8 phone has the update to allow CalDAV and CardDAV syncing yet, only select few. I certainly hope they do soon, using Gmail through IE11 is adding to my grey hair...
    I originally thought that existing users would be grandfathered, but I think all Activesync dies on July 31 for Google services. The article below talks about Windows Phone 8, but I believe it extends to all OSs, including BlackBerry 10, iOS, etc... It's so hard to find a definite answer, but I guess I will know tomorrow if my PlayBook stops getting email through the EAS Google account I set up in 2011.

Most Windows Phone 8 users should say good-bye to Gmail calendar and contacts sync | NEWS.GNOM.ES
    07-31-2013 09:33 PM
    Really? Oh man.
    07-31-2013 09:34 PM
    I originally thought that existing users would be grandfathered, but I think all Activesync dies on July 31 for Google services. The article below talks about Windows Phone 8, but I believe it extends to all OSs, including BlackBerry 10, iOS, etc... It's so hard to find a definite answer, but I guess I will know tomorrow if my PlayBook stops getting email through the EAS Google account I set up in 2011.

Most Windows Phone 8 users should say good-bye to Gmail calendar and contacts sync | NEWS.GNOM.ES
    Well, I'm looking at this article:

PSA: Windows Phones to lose Google Sync activation on August 1st

Let's hope it's not for all, just new...
    07-31-2013 10:23 PM
    I'm pretty sure that even existing customers will get the axe. However, it looks like Google has extended EAS support until December 31 to give MS time to get CardDAV and CalDAV running.

http://www.windowscentral.com/google...-december-31st
    08-02-2013 07:30 AM
    I'm pretty sure that even existing customers will get the axe. However, it looks like Google has extended EAS support until December 31 to give MS time to get CardDAV and CalDAV running.

Google again extends ActiveSync support for its services on Windows Phone until December 31st | Windows Phone Central
    Everything I had seen in the past stated it would not apply to devices that were already using the service. It has nothing to do with whether you are an existing customer or not. So my HTC Arrive running WP7.8 which will never see an upgrade from Sprint will continue to be able to use EAS for Google services. Of course, now that Google has extended the date I should have a new phone before then that has GDR2 so it won't matter. It does however mean that my new Surface RT that I just got can't use my Google calendar without painful workarounds.
    08-08-2013 01:18 PM
    It does however mean that my new Surface RT that I just got can't use my Google calendar without painful workarounds.
    Painful is an understatement.
    08-14-2013 08:20 AM
    Well, the official Windows 8.1 RT is out... and still no CardDAV and CalDAV support. Honestly, this is such a huge issue for me using GMail and Google Calendar.... Argh...
    10-18-2013 06:39 AM
    prolly gonna need to dust off that Playbook then.
    10-18-2013 08:03 AM
    Yeah, the PlayBook works perfectly with CardDAV and CalDAV.... ;-)
    10-18-2013 08:20 AM
    Good news! There is an app in the Windows Store that can now sync Google Calendar, Exchange, Facebook, Hotmail, Live and Outlook all in one!!!

It's called OneCalendar

The developer is Blue Edge
    05-18-2014 08:20 AM
    05-19-2014 02:39 PM