How would you improve the marketing of the 2nd gen Surface RT

drjekel_mrhyde

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
My list(All models with spec bumps on the current Surface RT)
Surface RT: 64GB $299 with Touch cover,but without Office (Office can be brought for $39 in the store)
Surface RT Pro: 128GB $399 with Stylus, Type cover and Office
Surface RT Pro +/Enterprise: 256 GB $499 with Stylus, Type Cover, super high resolution screen, and Office

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
My list(All models with spec bumps on the current Surface RT)
Surface RT: 64GB $299 with Touch cover,but without Office
Surface RT Pro: 64GB $399 with Stylus, Type cover and Office
Surface RT Pro +/Enterprise: 256 GB $499 with Stylus, Type Cover, and Office

No offense but those prices won't happen in a million years.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
They have no other choice, with Apple and Android so entrenched they have to do something, or bury it like Zune.

So you want them to offer 4 times the SSD space as any tablet on any platform for the same or lower price? It is never going to happen. The Nexus 7 is considered to be sold at very close to cost. The 32gb version would be only $30 cheaper than what you price a 64gb RT (with a bigger screen and a keyboard). You can dream, but it won't happen. Microsoft has already shown they aren't going to play the "sell at cost" game Google and Amazon play.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
They have no other choice, with Apple and Android so entrenched they have to do something, or bury it like Zune.

Huh? By losing their ***? Surface Pro at $399 is beyond a loss, its a suicide knife. The Pro is a full blown PC packed into a tablet. Its specs are better than a MacBook Air which is already more expensive.

Updated Surface RT with better chip will do fine at $399 with touch cover or $299 naked.

MS just went from 0% tablet market share to 5% in less than a year. They'll make it happen without cutting their legs off in pricing.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Huh? By losing their ***? Surface Pro at $399 is beyond a loss, its a suicide knife. The Pro is a full blown PC packed into a tablet. Its specs are better than a MacBook Air which is already more expensive.

Updated Surface RT with better chip will do fine at $399 with touch cover or $299 naked.

MS just went from 0% tablet market share to 5% in less than a year. They'll make it happen without cutting their legs off in pricing.

You might want to read his original post again.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
You might want to read his original post again.

So he calls it a Surface RT Pro?

Combining RT and Pro into the same name when there is already a Pro device would confuse the hell out of everyone. Especially when the "Pro" part distinguishes a very important difference between the two.

I'm glad the OP isn't in charge of MS's marketing department. Its bad enough as it is.

Razdek

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft needs to solve the marketplace issue with apps before they try to promote the Surface RT 2. Having a machine dependant on that marketplace spells death if they don't get the major apps in there.

drjekel_mrhyde

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Well Surface RT plus. Asus and Acer just pulled out of making more RT devices. Hell Acer even want to make less W8 device period.Android tabs started off iPad prices and failed till they started selling them cheaper.
/I won't even mention the Blackberry playbook

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft needs to solve the marketplace issue with apps before they try to promote the Surface RT 2. Having a machine dependant on that marketplace spells death if they don't get the major apps in there.

I do think that they need to get some of the other major apps in the store which they seem to be progressing slowly with.

They also have to find the "killer app" as well, something that Android and IOS don't do well or even something new.

I also think that they need to merge RT with Windows Phone operating system as well. By doing this they will get additional apps to the store and stop some of the confusion that is out there.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
uh sorry no, neither Apple or Google is making laptop replacements that function as a tablet. Your Surface Pro prices are in fantasy land.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well Surface RT plus. Asus and Acer just pulled out of making more RT devices. Hell Acer even want to make less W8 device period.Android tabs started off iPad prices and failed till they started selling them cheaper.
/I won't even mention the Blackberry playbook

Acer never made an RT device and Asus is just stupid. I'm actually glad all of them are pulling out of RT, I hope Dell and Lenovo do too. RT needs to be a Microsoft exclusive thing so they can control the platform tightly.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Acer never made an RT device and Asus is just stupid. I'm actually glad all of them are pulling out of RT, I hope Dell and Lenovo do too. RT needs to be a Microsoft exclusive thing so they can control the platform tightly.

Screw all OEMs! Microsoft should become like Apple!

Really???

4hab

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
They should make better tv spots. That dancing stuff was just too awkweird...

But what they really have to do, is to reboot their product strategy with Windows RT. The concept of delivering a "totally normal Windows" for ARM, which cant handle usual applications ended up in a constant storm of hatred and whineyness ("MUH WINDOES"). They MUST! MUST MUST MUST differentiate it more from the normal x86 Windows. Otherwise the flood of dumbasses (who are perfectly fine with the barriers of Android and iOS) who cant differentiate between a computer and a tablet will never end.

Screw all OEMs! Microsoft should become like Apple!

Really???

I would appreciate that. OEMs are making tons of scum and crap hardware. There are some nice tablets and nice notebooks too, but I dont know any devices that makes me loose my **** to get one. I'm hoping for Nokia according to a tablet. They dont need to screw all OEMs by cutting licensing Windows, but they definitely should enter the device market. Microsoft showed great product concepts with Surface, I bet they could also build a notebook that kicks *** of everything on the market.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
They should make better tv spots. That dancing stuff was just too awkweird...

But what they really have to do, is to reboot their product strategy with Windows RT. The concept of delivering a "totally normal Windows" for ARM, which cant handle usual applications ended up in a constant storm of hatred and whineyness ("MUH WINDOES"). They MUST! MUST MUST MUST differentiate it more from the normal x86 Windows. Otherwise the flood of dumbasses (who are perfectly fine with the barriers of Android and iOS) who cant differentiate between a computer and a tablet will never end.

I would appreciate that. OEMs are making tons of scum and crap hardware. There are some nice tablets and nice notebooks too, but I dont know any devices that makes me loose my **** to get one. I'm hoping for Nokia according to a tablet. They dont need to screw all OEMs by cutting licensing Windows, but they definitely should enter the device market. Microsoft showed great product concepts with Surface, I bet they could also build a notebook that kicks *** of everything on the market.

ATT has already had their hands on a Nokia tablet. I don't know when we will see it though.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh my. More armchair CEO's.

Better to leave such things to the Pro's. Thats their job. Or sstated differntly; Its their *** on the line, not ours.

4hab

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
ATT has already had their hands on a Nokia tablet. I don't know when we will see it though.

I know its coming, the signs are unoverlookable. But since nobody has seen it yet, I really hope they will show a tablet that that will make the masses go crazy due design. When they showed the Lumia 800 for the first time, I felt an excitement that I never felt before when a mobile device was published. The iPhone 4 got close to that, but didnt unleash the DO WANT-feeling.

The Lumia did. And I hope the Tablet will do so as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte