XBOX Music, Windows Phone and Surface RT

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone made their Surface RT their primary "syncing" machine for XBOX Music? My wife is a light PC user so her Surface RT has fit the bill quite nicely. I'd like to get her a 64GB microSD card here soon. So, I've got some questions.

First up, can downloaded music from XBOX Music be directed to the MicroSD card? If not, that may pose a problem since she has the 32GB model and not a lot of storage left.

If she can download music to the SD card, then how does she create a playlist of that music so she can then use the Windows Phone app to sync to her Windows Phone?

Thanks...
Brian

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I just checked and there is no Windows RT version of Windows Media Player so there is no way to create playlists for a Windows Phone so it can sync with the Windows Phone App. This is inexcusable. I wish the Microsoft Ecosystem had cohesion.

CDiS99

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Well from what I understand, if you make a playlist on the RT in XBox Music it will automatically sync and show up on your phone.

You need an XBox Music Pass for this to work, but if you have one, this should work...

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Well from what I understand, if you make a playlist on the RT in XBox Music it will automatically sync and show up on your phone.

You need an XBox Music Pass for this to work, but if you have one, this should work...

Hmmm...I'll give that a try. I'll make a simple playlist on her RT and see if it syncs with her phone via the Windows Phone app for RT. I bet we will still have to physically download the music, so she'll need that MicroSD for sure.

CDiS99

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm...I'll give that a try. I'll make a simple playlist on her RT and see if it syncs with her phone via the Windows Phone app for RT. I bet we will still have to physically download the music, so she'll need that MicroSD for sure.

No no, from my understanding, you will not have to physically download the music. Again, if you have the Music Pass, you can create a playlist on your RT and then it will show up on your phone. From there, you can either stream it via the cloud, or download the music directly to your phone if you want to avoid data usage. You do not have to physically store any of your music on the device. It can all live in the cloud. (I'd still get the SD card, though.)

As long as your subscription to XBM continues, you still have this functionality of cloud streaming, downloading, and multi device playlists. Once you stop your XBM pass, that music cannot be accessed from your device any longer. Of course, any music you put on the device locally and/or bought from the Store can still be used.

So you do not have to use the app to sync the playlist. Everything should sync wirelessly via the cloud if you have a Music Pass on a MSFT account you use for both of those devices.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
No no, from my understanding, you will not have to physically download the music. Again, if you have the Music Pass, you can create a playlist on your RT and then it will show up on your phone. From there, you can either stream it via the cloud, or download the music directly to your phone if you want to avoid data usage. You do not have to physically store any of your music on the device. It can all live in the cloud. (I'd still get the SD card, though.)

As long as your subscription to XBM continues, you still have this functionality of cloud streaming, downloading, and multi device playlists. Once you stop your XBM pass, that music cannot be accessed from your device any longer. Of course, any music you put on the device locally and/or bought from the Store can still be used.

So you do not have to use the app to sync the playlist. Everything should sync wirelessly via the cloud if you have a Music Pass on a MSFT account you use for both of those devices.

I can see my CLOUD playlists on my phone but no option to download the songs from the list...only one song at a time...yikes.

RandomNinjaAtk

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
There is now, after you get GDR2. You select a play list and it gives you the option to multi-select and then download. Nice...

You could do this before GDR2, but can you just select a playlist and tell it to download all? That is my issue, when you have a playlist with 100's of songs, multi-select isn't good enough if you want to download them all. I'm hoping I could select and option to download the entire playlist....

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
You could do this before GDR2, but can you just select a playlist and tell it to download all? That is my issue, when you have a playlist with 100's of songs, multi-select isn't good enough if you want to download them all. I'm hoping I could select and option to download the entire playlist....

Really? Because before my GDR2, I was madly searching for that option. I updated at lunch and then found I had the option. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos