Dropbox integration on Windows RT

Ruecian

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i am considering to purchase a windows surface RT, but i am concerned about the dropbox integration on windows RT.
I understand that windows RT is unable to run .exe files.
If i download the dropbox app from windows store will i be able to see it in desktop mode?
Will i be able to drag and drop files into dropbox folders like we are able to do so on a PC?
Can anyone using dropbox on RT please advise?

THanks!!!

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
the only apps that work on windows rt are the ones you download through the windows store, dropbox is available in the windows store.

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi, i am considering to purchase a windows surface RT, but i am concerned about the dropbox integration on windows RT.
I understand that windows RT is unable to run .exe files.
If i download the dropbox app from windows store will i be able to see it in desktop mode?
Will i be able to drag and drop files into dropbox folders like we are able to do so on a PC?
Can anyone using dropbox on RT please advise?

THanks!!!

I use Dropbox quite a bit so was interested in this question too when I got a Surface RT.

Unfortunately, Dropbox on RT doesn't show up in Desktop mode, so you cannot have the same folder sync and navigation as you do with normal Windows.

In the app, you can only download and upload manually (you have to navigate to folders and download/upload by "browsing" and cannot drag and drop), so if you use Dropbox a lot then a working option would be to login via Internet Explorer in Desktop mode, and drag and drop files to folders you want by dragging them into the Internet Explorer browser. I use Dropbox extensively for work (their document storage is on Dropbox) so when I'm using my Surface RT this is my method of choice.

However, if your Dropbox is for personal use, I would consider migrating to Microsoft's cloud storage equivalent, SkyDrive, which is preinstalled on Surface RT. With your Microsoft account you get 7GB storage. Currently, the SkyDrive app works like the Dropbox app, but in the upcoming Windows 8.1 update (which you can download a preview of already) SkyDrive is integrated into the Desktop and works like Dropbox you and I know. It's got a lot of similar features so I would investigate it as an alternative if there aren't really deep-seated reasons why you'd need to stay with Dropbox.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Im not sure if it can be done with dropbox - I don't see why it couldn't - but I started a thread a long time ago on how to do this with Box, or Skydrive (skydrive no longer needs this in 8.1 - it auto syncs all files (it doesn't download the files, but shows all files, and if you want to open one of them it downloads it). The Box network drive still works - find out how to do so with dropbox let me know.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/su...ork-drive-just-like-skydrive.html#post1897051

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I would just recommend switching to Skydrive (I think it really is the best in terms of value and services). Come Windows 8.1, Skydrive will have even tighter integration with the OS. You can create public share folders/files (can be searched for), private shared folders/files (can access with a link), read only, read and write, and so forth. It can be accessed on both the Modern UI and Desktop UI. IIRC, Skydrive pricing is cheaper than Dropbox. You can get 7GB for free and MS often has bonus offers for more space. With an Office 365 home subscription, you get like 20 GB free on top of the 7 GB.

I know change is hard, but Skydrive really is quite good.

FYI: Apparently, Skydrive needs to change its name due to a lawsuit from Sky (UK TV station). The terms state that MS can still call it Skydrive until it replaces it with a new name.

ChimeraX73

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Dropbox will go the way of the dodo soon.

Only cloud storage services integrated into the OS will survive....so Android/GDrive Windows/Skydrive and iOS/iCloud

Dropbox knows this, which is why they tried to sell themselves to apple while they had the chance. Apple said no.

Maybe for home users who don't care what system they use.

When you're talking about groups of friends on different platforms, or organisations who need a simple way to collaborate with shared files, services like Dropbox and Box are one of the easiest ways to do it. Multi platform solutions aren't going anywhere.

dbpaddler

Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
Maybe for home users who don't care what system they use.

When you're talking about groups of friends on different platforms, or organisations who need a simple way to collaborate with shared files, services like Dropbox and Box are one of the easiest ways to do it. Multi platform solutions aren't going anywhere.

Exactly. I'm in sales. Multiple companies we work with use dropbox. All of us reps use dropbox. It's fairly ignorant to expect everyone to switch to an OS specific service. Now consider we have some that use android, some that use apple and some that use MS. Not all want to play well cross platform.

If it's MS limiting dropbox's capabilities, that's one thing. If it's dropbox dropping the ball that's another. For me, RT is now useless because I can't seamlessly work on it. In fact, Android becomes more useful because I can sync all my work files, and DocsToGo is a passable solution for Office. But I really don't want an Android tablet as my big work tablet/laptop solution.

dbpaddler

Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
they have to support it like every other one does. It's best integration is with windows, period. Just like Google's and Apple's integrates best with their own product. MS took it one step further to shut out dropbox and probably other third parties because in 8.1 you can't make your skydrive folder your dropbox folder. Was possible in 8.

So the easiest solution is to just say goodbye to Surface RT/Surface 2. Regardless of where you place the blame for the lack of dropbox, I look at it as MS priced RT way too high so there's low adoption which leads to low developer effort. If they wanted to price their lesser device higher than android and attract developers, they should've subsidized them to encourage more development. But of course that wouldn't apply to DB anyway since they compete.

Another slap in the face is early adopters got squat for free, yet Surface 2 owners get 200gb on Skydrive. So I just don't see much of a win all around. If you don't take care of early adopters, why would I buy a 2nd gen product? I still need a third party app to sync locally on android. If the only problem is the one platform, then it's easier to drop the platform. Easier to just go to a Venue Pro 11 at this point. Though I picked up a Chromebook cheap so if I can sync dropbox to the 100gb on Google Drive and work with the Chromebook, I really don't need Microsoft or Skydrive.

Halman Freud

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I am using windows phone and I use more google drive than dropbox. For dropbox I use the unnoficial app that you can find in marketplace, but I have also founded Gdrive, a nice app off google drive for windows phone. In Mobile Applications I have found a nice review.

Fabio Cipolla

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but it is not true that Skydrive is it better than Dropbox. I use (4 years) Dropbox free and I have 15 GB and could be more.
MS Sky to not sincronixe files and folders like Dropbox. With Dropbox I can work in my desktop and, when I go to my clesses (i am a teacher) I have the same folder amd files prompt to use. And I do not need internet acess.
Dropbox is far far away from Skydrive. I'd like to buy a Surface 2, but I just can't because the lack of Dropbox desk.

M Coffey

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
For those looking for Dropbox integration on their Windows RT, here is my suggestion.

The Dropbox app n the RT store is awful. It works but not very well.

I recommend getting Files&Folders by Boo Studios. It tightly works with both Dropbox and Skydrive. It allows you to batch upload and download very easily. I uninstall the Dropbox app now that I use Files&Folders.

James Carpenter

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I have an ASUS tablet. I up graded from 8.0 RT to 8.1 RT and have drop box.
The new updated dropbox has a new menu. Evidently not available for RT.

I need to send multiple pic to my office. Can only link, share, download 1 at a time.
RT is pure frustration I had blonde hair now all gray

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I used to be a big Dropbox fan. I now have 11 GB. But really, it's not a great service any more. The biggest problem is you have to micromanage all your relationships because we all share space. So if I share a folder with Ann, Sam, and Terri. I share another folder with Sam, John, and Susan. Ann only has 3 GB and only 1 GB free. Sam has 4 GB and 500 MB free. Terri has 5 GB and 2 GB free. John has 3 GB and 1 GB free. Susan has 5 GB and 2 GB free. Ann throws in a 800 MB file. Blows up Sam's account. Susan throws in a duplicate file and it's a duplicate to me and Sam but it's not a duplicate to John. So it's wasted space for me and Sam. It's terrible how you have to micromanage all your friends because of so little space that DropBox gives.

You really should consider OneDrive. You can share files and not use any one's space. They can edit the files, do whatever and it's still separate. I share a 2 GB file. It doesn't take up 2 GB of anyone's space. They can edit my 2 GB file. They do can whatever (depending on my permissions of course).

And OneDrive is universal now. My coworkers back up their iPhones on their OneDrive account because they have 1034 GB of storage (1 TB through Office 365, 7 GB through OneDrive and 3 GB for photo backup). And you can throw whatever heck you want into your storage with reckless abandon with 1+ TB. But the key is you don't have to micromanage anyone's storage because everyone has tons of storage and nobody has to share their storage.

And I used to have the same problems as mentioned above with "SkyDrive" because let's face it, it took a long time for SkyDrive to become good. I can really say that OneDrive has come a long way from the SkyDrive days. I used to have tons of syncing problems. There wasn't a manual sync option before. The intervals between syncs used to be long enough that someone can make a change to a document and it wasn't reflected on my system fast enough. But those days are so long ago. A lot of people judge OneDrive based on first impressions from a long time ago. Myself included. But using it lately, I see how much better it is now and how much better it is than Dropbox. It's shocking how primitive Dropbox is now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss