A couple of Surface questions

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello all, I just purchased a 32 GB Surface last week and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I do have a couple of questions though and I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on the subjects.

1. Is there a way to disable Windows Update from auto updating? It's always updating at inopportune moments (no surprise there). I always disable it on my laptop and just run it manually.

2. I had trouble the first night I had it when it went into a boot loop updating until I pulled the micro sd card. Then it continued on and finished the update but it had thrown some errors. I ended doing a restore and left the card out until I finished updating. Do I need to pull the card before doing any Windows Updates? It also seems to stop doing anything, update wise, if the screen dims.

3. I uninstalled some of the pre-installed apps because I won't ever use them but they keep showing up as updates in the Store. Any way to make the update notification for these no longer installed apps go away?

Thanks!

LeiChat

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
For 3) you can use powershell to permanently un-provision apps that are made available for all users be default like Travel, News, Finance, etc.

Have a google for "remove-AppxPackage -package".

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello all, I just purchased a 32 GB Surface last week and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I do have a couple of questions though and I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on the subjects.

1. Is there a way to disable Windows Update from auto updating? It's always updating at inopportune moments (no surprise there). I always disable it on my laptop and just run it manually. I believe its almost a direct ARM port of Windows 8, complete with the obscure settings, can't say for sure, but I believe it should have that option. It's a lot nicer in 8 though, giving you a more subtle 2 day warning rather than pestering you every 10 minutes - 4 hours in 7.
Try poking around in the Update settings, it should be there.

2. I had trouble the first night I had it when it went into a boot loop updating until I pulled the micro sd card. Then it continued on and finished the update but it had thrown some errors. I ended doing a restore and left the card out until I finished updating. Do I need to pull the card before doing any Windows Updates? It also seems to stop doing anything, update wise, if the screen dims.
that shouldn't be the case...

3. I uninstalled some of the pre-installed apps because I won't ever use them but they keep showing up as updates in the Store. Any way to make the update notification for these no longer installed apps go away?
do they show up in the All Apps section? They may have just been unpinned, not uninstalled. I've uninstalled stock apps with no problems before...

Thanks!

My input in bold above

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys.
xandros9, as to #1, I'll see what I can find but I haven't been able to find anything as of yet. As far as #3 goes, the apps are indeed uninstalled. They do not appear in the all apps section.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
1. Use Choose how updates get installed (4 options)

2. Never happens on my Surface RT

3. In Store, Your apps, if the app is tagged Not installed, you don't get update notification. I don't.

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk 4

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any options to configure Windows Update and I guess that is by design according to Microsoft.
"Change Windows Update settings
Surface RT: Windows Update settings on Surface RT are always on and cannot be disabled. You can’t change Windows Update settings for Windows RT."

Windows Update | Surface updates | Software updates

In the Store the apps I uninstalled aren't listed as "apps not installed on this pc". The are apps I'm talking about came bundled with the Surface, not apps I downloaded and uninstalled.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
You are on 8.1, right?

For #3, it seems to bee some kind of new bug. I didn't have it in the beginning, but it happens for me too now :(
No, I'm still on 8. I just got it and I haven't gone to 8.1 yet. I had a miserable experience with 8.1 preview on my laptop and as a result a bit gun shy... :smile:

dlnorton2014

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I know you can't download applications on the Surface RT, but does that apply to pictures/videos, etc. as well? Like, can you right-click on a picture or music track and save it to the tablet?

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I know you can't download applications on the Surface RT, but does that apply to pictures/videos, etc. as well? Like, can you right-click on a picture or music track and save it to the tablet?

Yes, its a windows 8 pc without the ability to install "programs". That's it. That's the entire difference as far as the average customer is concerned. Right click (or hold press) works as normal. Windows explorer works as normal. Wallpapers work as normal.

Inb4 pedantry.

Yes its a different os blah blah blah. I said average consumer.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
My Surface RT is on Preview where the screenshot was taken. On my Acer S3 on 8.1 RTM it's the same screen.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
My Surface RT is on Preview where the screenshot was taken. On my Acer S3 on 8.1 RTM it's the same screen.

On the Acer S3 that makes sense, since it's the full version of Windows. Too bad Microsoft took it out of the final build for the Surface RT.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre