Dead Surface RT?

DuncanF62

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I left my RT off charge last night and the battery ran down. It happens. I put it back on charge for a few hours but it will not boot. It is stalled at the "Surface" splash screen. I've tried all the usual power+vol. down type tricks but to no avail. I left if for an hour at the splash screen to see if it would get its act together ... no joy.

Googling around the general answer seems to be that it needs swapping. I've printed out the returns postage from the MS site, but if it comes to that I'll take it back to John Lewis (UK) where I bought it less than 90 days ago. But before I do that I thought I'd see if anyone here had any suggestions that might save me a journey?

It's an RT 32GB running 8.1 which I installed the day I bought it in July. Absolutely zero problems since then. I know ... preview and all that ... caveat emptor. But as I say, not a glitch until tonight. Hey ho!

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've only had one 'panic' moment where it didn't seem to respond to anything - I held the power button for about 20 seconds, seemingly doing nothing, but it did fire up and then was OK.

DuncanF62

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Well I went down to my local John Lewis and their Technical Support desk took the RT, took my docs for the MS return/swap, said they would handle all that and gave me a credit note to pick up a new RT. I asked about going for a 64 by paying the difference. Not a problem, they said, but the gap payment was ?40, not ?80 as I expected. I bought my 32 just after the big price drop, so it seems there must have been another recently?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss