05-30-2014 07:41 AM
48 12
tools
    Transferring it wasn't the hard part, it was the Music app incorrectly reading certain songs and lumping into their own album, or showing it as unknown artist.
    turn off connect to Xbox music in the music app. It'll stop rewriting the meta to match that of Xbox music. M
    09-19-2013 01:48 AM
    I didn't purposely do the same but it seems I am slowly getting all apple items out my life

Sent from that other device using Tapatalk
    09-19-2013 01:52 AM
    turn off connect to Xbox music in the music app. It'll stop rewriting the meta to match that of Xbox music. M
    Already tried that, sadly it didn't make a difference.
    09-19-2013 01:56 AM
    Obviously. It has an unfair advantage, BECAUSE ITS A COMPUTER! And the iPad has full iWork, and iLife. I know it may sound like I am hating, but it just pisses me off, when someone insults Apple, and doesn't know the full story. All of those ads, with the RT tablet and the iPad, are all very uniformed. Ooo it has a kickstand, and a $120 keyboard cover, but the iPad just needs a smart cover, and an adapter set to use USB and SD cards. And who reads together, and then just randomly starts playing Halo. Meanwhile, it does not show the iPad playing infinity blade the iPad's exclusive game. Again, this sounds insulting, but I am trying my best not to make it sound that way. But congrats on the RT, I would like to have a Pro because of the Wacom Pen.
    I had the same feelings. Two years ago, I was the the biggest apple fanboy around. Lately though, I just feel like they haven't innovated enough to keep me interested.
    09-19-2013 06:30 AM
    Honestly I think you made a mistake going with Surface RT. Windows RT for all intents and purposes was a stop gap/mistake by Microsoft. The same people crying for ARM support are the same people that didn't believe Intel or AMD could make a SOC with the power and performance levels of Temash or Baytrail.

I'm not saying that x86 support is necessary either, from a performance standpoint Intel will always be ahead of any of the ARM manufacturers in terms of CPU performance and Intel/AMD will be ahead in graphics too. The only thing stopping x86 from invading Android is the lack of cellular radios from AMD and Intel. Don't be surprised if most of the Android or Windows tablets in 2014 have Intel inside.
    I hear ya. I'm aware of the limitations ARM presents and I'm super excited to see Intel step it up and give us some powerful chipsets this year that sip on power. My intention was to get as much for my iOS gear before the updated hardware this year.

Depending on what Microsoft announces next week, there's a good chance my RT will go back until I can get an 8.1 device with Haswell or Bay Trail.
    09-19-2013 06:34 AM
    Obviously. It has an unfair advantage, BECAUSE ITS A COMPUTER! And the iPad has full iWork, and iLife. I know it may sound like I am hating, but it just pisses me off, when someone insults Apple, and doesn't know the full story. All of those ads, with the RT tablet and the iPad, are all very uniformed. Ooo it has a kickstand, and a $120 keyboard cover, but the iPad just needs a smart cover, and an adapter set to use USB and SD cards. And who reads together, and then just randomly starts playing Halo. Meanwhile, it does not show the iPad playing infinity blade the iPad's exclusive game. Again, this sounds insulting, but I am trying my best not to make it sound that way. But congrats on the RT, I would like to have a Pro because of the Wacom Pen.
    I don't get some of you Ipad-users... The Surface _RT_ is no more of a computer than an Ipad... It just runs a more robust OS (not a big smartphone OS) which gives it the edge when it comes to multitasking and stuff. It actually has ALOT less power than the newer Ipads, but is alot more diverse when it comes to handling it.

The system makes all the difference. Don't forget it's running "smartphone" hardware.
    09-19-2013 11:30 AM
    My RT is crying its eyes out now, it wants to connect to a full Win8 Desktop as well. I was close to purchase one, but then my stupid car decided to break down. Oh well.
    There is only one Apple item in my life, an iPod Nano that I never use - I tried, but iTunes and me are just not compatible.
    Never been an Apple girl really, it just never occurred to me to get one.
    09-19-2013 11:53 AM
    Apple hasn't been part of my technology picture since 11th grade, 1983. Now my wife and oldest daughter are another story...
    09-19-2013 01:15 PM
    I'm waiting on a 8 inch Windows tablet before I say goodbye to my iPad Mini and then I'll be Apple free.
    forked likes this.
    09-19-2013 01:19 PM
    I have been reading this thread largely for entertainment purposes. I just realized that I should post a comment.

I have been Apple free for many years. It started 3 PC's ago and I keep them a long time. I downloaded QuickTime to watch a video and it tried to take over my computer. I considered it very virus like. I removed it and have been free of apple ever since. QuickTime is the reason I started to loath apple. Steve Jobs personal behavior cemented it for me.
    09-19-2013 03:04 PM
    The OS X operating system is a thing of beauty, and iOS has an established marketplace with polished apps. I won't say RT is better, but I am itching for a Surface 2. My latest personal discovery is Xbox Music, which has the same deal as Spotify with free streaming and occasional ads. The website-based player is gorgeous, as is the Music app in W8. (The phone app is more limited.)

I used to have an egg-shaped iMac, then two iPod classics. The only thing I'd want nowadays from Apple is a laptop, if I were willing to spend the cash. The newest iMacs are a great deal too. Right now I've got Windows 8, and luckily no slow and clunky iTunes to deal with. I have nothing against any of the competition. I guess I just have a thing for colored squares and rectangles these days.
    Last edited by angusdegraosta; 09-19-2013 at 10:58 PM.
    09-19-2013 03:38 PM
    Picked up a 64 GB RT tonight. I've only had it a couple of hours and I can't believe I didn't do this sooner!
    Instant observations-

• It's a frekin' PC. My dependency is with web based apps (facebook, gmail, etc) and with a complete web browser, this just blows iOS out of the water!
    • X86 apps aren't as important to me as I thought. I have splashtop installed to remote into my 8.1 desktop so it's (almost) like having a surface pro.
    • Tegra 3 isn't THAT bad. I've had a tendency to forget a mobile CPU is powering all of this.
    • A lot of Windows 8 Apps are actually prettier and more functional than their iOS counterpart.
    • Full Office anyone?

This, paired with my Lumia 1020 is an awesome combination. I can't wait for Windows 8.1 to take it to the next level. :)
    I have to disagree strongly here. The RT devices run a stripped-down OS that isn't really worth anything with Bay Trail out. The 64-GB Surface RT is $400 on Microsoft's site, and it's $500 with the touch cover. For $350, ASUS is soon going to be selling its T100 tablet, which will be an x86 Bay Trail device. It will come WITH an actual keyboard dock (with a USB 3.0 port, microHDMI, and microUSB), and it'll include Office 2013 Student as well. The Bay Trail tablets will hopefully eat the RT market up and get rid of it, because they sell at similar prices, have similar battery life, but the Atom devices add x86 support. That last part is what has the potential to separate Windows tablets from the iOS and Android toys.
    09-19-2013 10:28 PM
    I think some of the bad perception exists because RT has a desktop, but again, it all comes from non-owners and tech bloggers who find no use for the thing. If it were all full screen, more people would be like "Hey, it's a tablet" and not have the same expectations of it. On the other hand, I'm sure RT users use the desktop all the time. I'm sure I would. I hate stuffing files and downloads in folders until I'm ready to archive them. I like the thin lightweight Surface in theory; the more cost effective they make it the better (who knows if I get one... let's see how next week and the time ahead goes) - but good for Asus and the T100. Hooray.
    09-19-2013 10:56 PM
    It might be the case for some, but not with myself. I know what people claim to think of RT on the good side, but I simply disagree with it. It doesn't run x86 games, so you need one of the i5-packing devices to make use of Steam (or, in the near-future, a Bay Trail device should play some of those Steam titles). I use Trillian for messaging people, and the IM+ alternative on Windows 8 (and Windows Phone) simply doesn't compare. I am a Computer Science major, and I need Visual Studio to do C++ programming, which is another x86 piece of software. I do Java/android classwork in Eclipse, and I need that x86 software, too.

If I am EVER to get a mobile device again (the HP laptop I got in 2008 ended up a colossal failure), I want something that works as a portable alternative to my desktop. I don't need something that basically functions as a bigger version of my phone.
    09-19-2013 11:32 PM
    The thing is, an Atom-based tablet is not a desktop alternative. It's still a companion device. The T100 is what, 1/4 the power of the current Surface Pro? I have a feeling it's going to disappoint a lot of people.

I think RT was a necessary step for Microsoft. It gives them the ability to run Windows on two different architectures. If ARM continues to improve, Microsoft will continue to be able to have a presence there. It puts them in a stronger position and keeps the pressure on Intel. Regardless of how well it sells.

And one thing needs to be clear: iOS and Android on tablets certainly started life as oversized phones. But they are both now clearly accepted by the market. RT did NOT start as an oversized phone OS. It came from the start complete with multitasking, file management, Office, a PC level browser, and a slew of standardized hardware drivers and connectivity. The only thing it doesn't do that an x86 PC does is run x86 programs. There is a world of difference between RT and any other ARM OS.
    09-20-2013 08:48 AM
    It might be the case for some, but not with myself. I know what people claim to think of RT on the good side, but I simply disagree with it. It doesn't run x86 games, so you need one of the i5-packing devices to make use of Steam (or, in the near-future, a Bay Trail device should play some of those Steam titles). I use Trillian for messaging people, and the IM+ alternative on Windows 8 (and Windows Phone) simply doesn't compare. I am a Computer Science major, and I need Visual Studio to do C++ programming, which is another x86 piece of software. I do Java/android classwork in Eclipse, and I need that x86 software, too.

If I am EVER to get a mobile device again (the HP laptop I got in 2008 ended up a colossal failure), I want something that works as a portable alternative to my desktop. I don't need something that basically functions as a bigger version of my phone.
    I'm having a hard time understanding your point of view. You have strong feelings about the RT because it doesn't run x86 software and therefore, it doesn't fit your needs. Last time I checked, nothing else runs x86 either. Get a Surface Pro or any other Windows 8 tablets and be done with it.
    09-20-2013 01:06 PM
    The iPad is as much a computer as the Surface RT... unless you have a very narrow definition of "computer".

Yes, it does sound like you're hating... and not even with accurate information.
    The iPad does NOT have full iWorks and iLife. The iOS versions of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are orders of magnitude lesser in function than their OSX counterparts. Any objective-thinking observer can see that.

The kickstand is free. The $120 keyboard is now $69. Apple's smart cover is $39. You mention the adapter set to use USB and SD cards but each adapter is a separate purchase at $29 each. You cannot use both adapters simultaneously. You cannot use the SD card adapter to access the SD card in a general removable storage mode... it will only access certain files. The USB adapter is low-powered to support only a mere fraction of USB devices.

With my 64GB iPad 4, I had to purchase a powered USB hub and USB adapter so that I could use my Blue Yeti microphone. With the Surface RT, plug it in and go. That's a "win" for Surface RT. How anyone can claim equivalency with a straight face is laughable.

With Apple, you pay a premium for the tablet. Then you get nickel and dime'd for every little adapter. When all is said and done a person ends up paying nearly twice as much for an iPad configuration as they would for a Surface RT and still not have the same functionality. If you had instead focused on app availability then you would've been on the mark.
    09-21-2013 03:08 PM
    I have to disagree strongly here. The RT devices run a stripped-down OS that isn't really worth anything with Bay Trail out. The 64-GB Surface RT is $400 on Microsoft's site, and it's $500 with the touch cover. For $350, ASUS is soon going to be selling its T100 tablet, which will be an x86 Bay Trail device. It will come WITH an actual keyboard dock (with a USB 3.0 port, microHDMI, and microUSB), and it'll include Office 2013 Student as well. The Bay Trail tablets will hopefully eat the RT market up and get rid of it, because they sell at similar prices, have similar battery life, but the Atom devices add x86 support. That last part is what has the potential to separate Windows tablets from the iOS and Android toys.
    First it was "wait for Haswell" then it is "wait for Bay Trail" what will it be next? Meanwhile I've enjoyed almost a full year of productivity while people are "waiting for the next big thing" Sounds like Intel needs to get its **** together.

and I've got bad news buddy, RT isn't going anywhere. au contraire...legacy desktop will be marginalized more and more over the next decade.
    Dos101 likes this.
    09-21-2013 03:27 PM
    Sadly enough ITunes with the Windows 8 connector (on a mac) does an awesome job with transferring downloaded music.
    09-22-2013 11:03 PM
    The only thing stopping this from being a full web experience is the lack of Java support. Sure, this doesn't come into play very often, but when it does, it's a bit annoying. Still not enough to make me not adore my surface though.
    05-28-2014 12:59 AM
    I just did it two weeks ago(iPad mini) and haven't looked back. I went to fix this lady's computers, but At&t was running late to fix her Uverse connection so I used my Surface RT connected via L920 and was able to pull up all her drivers and stored them on a USB stick. Got finished way faster than waiting around for At&t to finish.
    05-30-2014 12:31 AM
    Happy to hear it friend.
    05-30-2014 12:38 AM
    the music matching really only works perfectly if you bought all your music from Xbox Music. all these different music services use different catalogs so matching will never be perfect. it is lame to assume someone has P2P'd music with bad ID3 tags.
    05-30-2014 07:41 AM
48 12