Apple has officially been abolished from my tech life.

bruceabbott2

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Picked up a 64 GB RT tonight. I've only had it a couple of hours and I can't believe I didn't do this sooner!
Instant observations-

• It's a frekin' PC. My dependency is with web based apps (facebook, gmail, etc) and with a complete web browser, this just blows iOS out of the water!
  • X86 apps aren't as important to me as I thought. I have splashtop installed to remote into my 8.1 desktop so it's (almost) like having a surface pro.
  • Tegra 3 isn't THAT bad. I've had a tendency to forget a mobile CPU is powering all of this.
  • A lot of Windows 8 Apps are actually prettier and more functional than their iOS counterpart.
  • Full Office anyone?

This, paired with my Lumia 1020 is an awesome combination. I can't wait for Windows 8.1 to take it to the next level. :)

PCUser271

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Sir, i'm thinking to buy a desktop pc and also thought to ditch my win8 laptop for a win8 tablet. And i have htc 8x. I would like to have a complete win8 experience. So, after your experience, Which one is suitable? Win8 desktop for work, rt for portability or win8 tablet for seamless working? (i mean, when u at home, you use desktop win8, and when you are outside, use win8 tablet to cont working). Or, is it already enough with rt? Thank you

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the enlightened club.

Sat here working on my RT writing a Word doc while listening to free music, checking news, reviewing PowerPoints and PDFs to include in the doc. My PCs a little busy loading 8.1 RTM so thought I'd switch over for the evening.

Having a full web experience really helps. I like pairing my BT mouse too. Makes for the full PC replacement.

Daniel Gandolfo

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Very glad to hear that you are pleased with your RT. It is a little wonder machine and can do pretty much everything that a low end PC can do!!

Nevica

bruceabbott2

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I would say for your use case scenerio, one 'Pro' or x86 tablet would get the job done. You would have one machine and if you want a "desktop" experience, you can connect the tablet to an external monitor and keyboard/mouse. Take the money you would spend on two devices and get the best tablet device whether it be a surface pro with i5 or an atom based tablet.

Wait until Oct 18 though when Haswell based i5 and Bay Trail Atom machines come out.

I simply couldn't wait so there's a good chance depending on what Microsoft announces next week, I may be returning this RT and holding out for the upgraded models. Either way, I'm done with iOS and I wish more people would realize you're getting a much more 'complete' experience with Windows 8.

Hope this helps.

Sir, i'm thinking to buy a desktop pc and also thought to ditch my win8 laptop for a win8 tablet. And i have htc 8x. I would like to have a complete win8 experience. So, after your experience, Which one is suitable? Win8 desktop for work, rt for portability or win8 tablet for seamless working? (i mean, when u at home, you use desktop win8, and when you are outside, use win8 tablet to cont working). Or, is it already enough with rt? Thank you

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I did this, abolishing Apple from my life, last December and have never looked back.

I really like my Surface RT and my wife has one that she uses all the time as well.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I use remote desktop to access my desktop plus the servers at work. Once 8.1 comes out with Outlook so that I can connect to the exchange server, I might just retire my laptop.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Congrats man, after years of owning a Macbook Pro/Air with Windows on it I got rid of all my Apple tech late last year and haven't looked back. Now if I could just find something to replace my 64GB iPod......

allos autos

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the enlightened club.

I hope we can nip this kind of thinking in the bud. While we may applaud his decisions regarding technology, let's not pretend that we have some sort of special knowledge that is inaccessible to those not in the MS ecosystem. That leads very quickly to the slavish devotion we see in Apple fanatics. Let's not encourage the same thing in our ecosystem, yes?

bruceabbott2

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8.1 aims to fix this with the new Music app. I'm hopeful Joe Belfiore and crew will tackle this on the phone as well now that he's leading both groups. I'm looking forward to the convergence between the two platforms.

If Windows Phone had good music management I would say yes. I already tried a Samsung Ativ S with a 64GBmicrosd card as my main music device. The result was a spectacular failure.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8.1 aims to fix this with the new Music app. I'm hopeful Joe Belfiore and crew will tackle this on the phone as well now that he's leading both groups. I'm looking forward to the convergence between the two platforms.

It's not the Windows Music app I have issues with, it's the Music app on Windows Phone that's been the pain, though there really isn't a good way to transfer music to Windows Phone in the first place (this is where I really miss the Zune software). The Music app on Windows Phone has been very poor at reading the metatdata for all my music, so I get multiple artists of the same name (just with slight differences), some music being where it shouldn't, and some music not recognized. The overall experience for it right now is very, very poor and frustrating.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not the Windows Music app I have issues with, it's the Music app on Windows Phone that's been the pain, though there really isn't a good way to transfer music to Windows Phone in the first place (this is where I really miss the Zune software). The Music app on Windows Phone has been very poor at reading the metatdata for all my music, so I get multiple artists of the same name (just with slight differences), some music being where it shouldn't, and some music not recognized. The overall experience for it right now is very, very poor and frustrating.

I don't know how transferring music to your WP device could be any easier than loading your music library on your PC and copying to a micro-SD card. It took about 15 minutes to put about 5 days worth of music from iTunes to my L620.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Transferring it wasn't the hard part, it was the Music app incorrectly reading certain songs and lumping into their own album, or showing it as unknown artist.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Transferring it wasn't the hard part, it was the Music app incorrectly reading certain songs and lumping into their own album, or showing it as unknown artist.

Your music catalog doesn't include P2P downloads does it? Nah. Of course not, wink-wink.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

I agree with this. It's terrible compared to using Zune. I really wish they would bring the Zune software support back and rename it or something.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb