Surface without touch/type cover

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Just curious. Since the Surface IS a tablet, anyone get one without the type or touch cover and just use the digital keyboard? The only tablet I've ever owned was a Touchpad and had no problem typing using the digital keyboard. Of course, I just did basic internet stuff and a few emails. But, if I end up getting the Surface 2, I was considering not getting the expensive add-on type or touch cover.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Didn't buy a cover with mine - however I did pick up a Microsoft wedge keyboard later on just in case I need to do any heavy typing - which to be honest is rare.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I use mine about half and half depending what I'm doing with it at the time. I could survive without the type cover. It's nice if you're going to type a lot but for regular email and web browsing not really necessary.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
It's not an requirement, but if you spend any time in Desktop mode for Office, file management, advanced settings, etc, a keyboard and wireless mouse make life a heck of a lot easier. And the touch cover works well as a cover. The type cover is a great keybaord but a bit bulky, I only attach mine when I need it or when traveling.

The original ones will work with the Surface 2 and have come down in price to $79. Still overpriced IMO, but much more reasonable than the $119 they were selling for.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Will a wireless keyboard work with the RT? Just trying to cut some of the cost. I hate the fact the keyboard is separate

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Will need to plug the wireless adapter in the usb port though. So may be worth investing a little $ in a 4 port usb hub

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Will a wireless keyboard work with the RT? Just trying to cut some of the cost. I hate the fact the keyboard is separate

Yes. Will need to plug the wireless adapter in the usb port though. So may be worth investing a little $ in a 4 port usb hub

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020
The wireless adapter is only necessary if you purchase a non-bluetooth wireless keyboard. Bluetooth keyboards work terrific right out of the box.

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
It's okay to use Surface tablets without the use of touch/type cover, the on-screen keyboard is very useful, I can type it pretty fluently, yet the on-screen keyboard still takes up too many space on the screen, and it doesn't have a button to retract itself like the one in iPad, and for the need to protect the screen, I still bought one touch cover couple months after I bought my Surface RT.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
It's okay to use Surface tablets without the use of touch/type cover, the on-screen keyboard is very useful, I can type it pretty fluently, yet the on-screen keyboard still takes up too many space on the screen, and it doesn't have a button to retract itself like the one in iPad, and for the need to protect the screen, I still bought one touch cover couple months after I bought my Surface RT.

Retraction can be done one of two ways:

1. Press the keyboard button, then the keyboard/down button.
2. Tap anywhere outside the text box you are in.

But yes, there should probably be a keyboard down or gesture for that.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Just curious. Since the Surface IS a tablet, anyone get one without the type or touch cover and just use the digital keyboard? The only tablet I've ever owned was a Touchpad and had no problem typing using the digital keyboard. Of course, I just did basic internet stuff and a few emails. But, if I end up getting the Surface 2, I was considering not getting the expensive add-on type or touch cover.

I bought a package deal off ebay. It included everything. If I'm just going to be lounging on the couch, browsing the web, then I take my Type cover off. I always keep the cover around for screen protection. There were some early reports of the covers splitting from users folding the cover back. Which is acceptable, they were made to do that. But, I just detach mine.

I do alot of reports for church, my business and of course, here! So it is very handy for me to have a keyboard.

rmeigs

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

No Touch/type cover. I could see the value of you were doing lots of content creation, but tablets are primarily consumption or presentation devices in my context. So no need for a keyboard.

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
>>1. Press the keyboard button, then the keyboard/down button.

Damn, my bad!! I never notice this down button!! Thanks for the tip!!

>>2. Tap anywhere outside the text box you are in.

Sometimes it doesn't work the way I anticipate, since I have to be careful for the area I tap outside the text box, sometimes I might accidentally dismiss the text box, and I'll have to input again......

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
The onscreen keyboard works very well...there is also a split keyboardin landscape and portrait that allows for typing and holding the surface like you would a phone.

toddpart

Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
I had a TouchPad as well and, at the time, thought it was the best digital keyboard. I now think the Surface on-screen keyboard is even better...especially the split version once I built up the muscle memory. I only use the Type Cover now when I have a lot of heavy input to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes