10-24-2013 08:18 AM
130 ... 3456
tools
    Anyone having problems with BBC iplayer directing to a site saying your device is not supported. Worked fine prior to 8.1 update.
    10-17-2013 05:29 PM
    For those having trouble, this might help. I checked the marketplace earlier and the update wasn't there. I switched to desktop mode opened the charm bar chose settings then control panel. I opened windows update and searched for any new updates. A little Surface update showed up, it was maybe only a few MB. I installed that and it had my Surface restart, then once restarted I opened up the marketplace and there it was! I'm now on 8.1!
    10-17-2013 05:46 PM
    Also, for those having trouble once 8.1 is installed. Go through the same control panel windows update procedure I mentioned above and update. I was having trouble opening my Bank of America app so I restarted the device and checked for updates, installed them and now everything works.
    10-17-2013 06:01 PM
    Yep, having the same issue.

Hope the BBC sort it soon.
    10-17-2013 06:50 PM
    So how to get the download to work? unless it is working. So i clicked on the link to 8.1 to the store, takes me direct to the download page. It says you can download hwile you work and its 2 gb . i click DL and the dots starts for a bit and then it goes back to the store and i dont see anything, not even sure i am downloading or anything. I dont see any new updates using desktop mode or the pc settings in metro. The build still says 8.1 preview .

So is there a download status bar or its downloading without telling you? I dont think its doing anything. Odd that i see no progress downloading.
    10-17-2013 08:35 PM
    So how to get the download to work? unless it is working. So i clicked on the link to 8.1 to the store, takes me direct to the download page. It says you can download hwile you work and its 2 gb . i click DL and the dots starts for a bit and then it goes back to the store and i dont see anything, not even sure i am downloading or anything. I dont see any new updates using desktop mode or the pc settings in metro. The build still says 8.1 preview .

So is there a download status bar or its downloading without telling you? I dont think its doing anything. Odd that i see no progress downloading.
    that happened to me on my surface rt. I restarted and tried to click download again and you should be able to see the download progress bar.

I just finished updating on my surface and all my pc settings are reset?
    when I installed the 8.1 preview, it saved my pc settings and stuff. now I have to remake my start screen, pc settings, etc. thought it would sync from skydrive? anyone have this problem as well?
    Last edited by yunchikan; 10-18-2013 at 12:00 AM.
    10-17-2013 08:44 PM
    Oh yes, I'm so happy Netflix is already updated for multitasking In 8.1
    You must have a surface?

On my 8" tab 1280 x 800 res Netflix doesn't scale correctly in anything but 3/4 screen mode. I imagine that's just a limitation of my small res tho :\
    10-17-2013 09:58 PM
    My old Pentium 4 test-machine has been running windows 8 without any problems. However, when I try to update to 8.1 - I am told that my CPU is unsupported (related to PAE, NX, SSE2). I thought that the hardware requirements for Win 8 and 8.1 are exactly the same. Isn't that the case?
    10-18-2013 01:56 AM
    >>My old Pentium 4 test-machine has been running windows 8 without any problems.

Just out of my curiosity, how did you install Win 8 onto your Pentium 4 machine? I have a laptop I bought in 2004, the CPU is Pentium 4, I think it's Northwood core if my memory is correct. Last year I tried to install Win 8 preview version on this laptop, but the the installation aborted with the message of hardware unsupported, so I never tried again.
    10-18-2013 02:07 AM
    Anyone is having problem with Skydrive Desktop app on Windows 8.1 ?
    Its not opening..! But the Skydrive app from the Start working flawlessly(Its syncing with the skydrive folder)
    10-18-2013 04:09 AM
    Just out of my curiosity, how did you install Win 8 onto your Pentium 4 machine? I have a laptop I bought in 2004, the CPU is Pentium 4, I think it's Northwood core if my memory is correct. Last year I tried to install Win 8 preview version on this laptop, but the the installation aborted with the message of hardware unsupported, so I never tried again.
    I just used the DVD and it installed without any problems. No tweaks at all!
    10-18-2013 05:22 AM
    Anyone is having problem with Skydrive Desktop app on Windows 8.1 ?
    Its not opening..! But the Skydrive app from the Start working flawlessly(Its syncing with the skydrive folder)
    The Skydrive desktop app has been discontinued for Windows 8.1 in favor of the Metro app. You can still access all of your files through Explorer (Skydrive link is on the left sidebar).
    10-18-2013 07:12 AM
    Here it took like 5min to download (corporate connection, wooop), and more than 30min to install. The damn thing had to restart 3 times to apply the update!!!
    I left my pc to download overnight (after watching it download just 30% in three hours!), and in the morning it was ready for me just to sign in.
    10-18-2013 08:31 AM
    Wow, this surprises me, I thought I only have about 6~7GB of storage space left, but after RT 8.1 update, I notice that now I have 12GB of space available!! So the update file must have been deleted automatically along with other system files!!
    I had 24gb free before the update, and now I have like 32gb. This is nice!
    10-18-2013 08:34 AM
    Disappointed in IE11. While stability has improved from the preview, it is slow paging back like IE10 and still randomly crashes. This is unacceptable in a tablet that doesn't have any other browsers available. But at least it is good enough to post on WPC again, the forums seem to be working OK again although the main page crashes frequently.

It is nice having a working Photos app again. The Store works again on my non-Microsoft user accounts too. They did seem to clean up a lot of functionality.

Evidently it silently installs updates as well. Quite a bit of my battery drained overnight.
    10-18-2013 08:38 AM
    Disappointed in IE11. While stability has improved from the preview, it is slow paging back like IE10 and still randomly crashes. This is unacceptable in a tablet that doesn't have any other browsers available. But at least it is good enough to post on WPC again, the forums seem to be working OK again although the main page crashes frequently.

It is nice having a working Photos app again. The Store works again on my non-Microsoft user accounts too. They did seem to clean up a lot of functionality.

Evidently it silently installs updates as well. Quite a bit of my battery drained overnight.
    It evidently has something to do with the (relatively slow) Tegra 3, how heavy RT is, and the fact that sites (like WPCentral, which is ironic given the situation) are actually more optimized for WebKit.
    10-18-2013 08:45 AM

Worry not my friend. In case you haven't heard there's a WPCentral app on its way to Windows8.1

Sent from my Nexus 7
    10-18-2013 09:05 AM
    The browser on my rt has been noticeably faster going back to previous pages. I'm very pleased with the update.
    10-18-2013 09:21 AM
    I have never experienced IE crash on 8.1 Preview, 8.1 RTM and 8.1 GA, not even with this site.
    10-18-2013 10:13 AM
    IE hasn't crashed on me but it did freeze up once, wonder if the website had anything to do with it. Also, wasn't there a Bing live tile on the start screen before the update? Did that go away?
    10-18-2013 12:07 PM
    IE hasn't crashed on me but it did freeze up once, wonder if the website had anything to do with it. Also, wasn't there a Bing live tile on the start screen before the update? Did that go away?
    My Bing tile didn't appear to even have the option of being live anymore. Then I used it. When I closed out it seems to be live now, and the option is there to turn it off. Wierd.

I am having issues with the sports app, it crashes frequently. I also had this forum freeze up my Surface completely, had to restart.

I do probably use more complexity than most people. I have 4 user accounts, a 64 GB card, and about 8 GB remaining space on board. With nothing running I'm sitting at about 40% memory usage which seems high. But I never had issues with crashes until I installed the preview.
    10-18-2013 12:48 PM
    I upgraded my RT to 8.1 and all went smoothly, but the xbox music application seems to have lost all my playlists. Does anyone know where those may have been stored? Or am I sunk?
    10-18-2013 01:18 PM
    I upgraded my RT to 8.1 and all went smoothly, but the xbox music application seems to have lost all my playlists. Does anyone know where those may have been stored? Or am I sunk?
    Try somewhere in the xbox music folder wherever you save, but my one playlist showed up.

The issue i had with xbox music was i had the physical DRM files that i downloaded when i had preview 8.1, but xbox music wouldn't recognize at all. So i had to delete all and redownload. Xbox music all messed up
    10-18-2013 01:27 PM
    The Skydrive desktop app has been discontinued for Windows 8.1 in favor of the Metro app. You can still access all of your files through Explorer (Skydrive link is on the left sidebar).
    I wish they hadn't done that. I don't use my laptop with my Microsoft account so that's a step backward in usability for me. Not a huge deal, but an annoyance none the less.
    Last edited by badcat; 10-18-2013 at 03:59 PM.
    10-18-2013 01:48 PM
    IE (Store App, and Desktop) still shows mobile versions of various websites. I was hoping MS would fix the user agent string.

Anyone know how to change the default so it will stick? I know you can F12 to the developer tools and change it, but it's only temporary and not global.
    10-18-2013 03:34 PM
130 ... 3456