App discoverability in Win8.1 a step back for tablets

jbigelow

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I wish there was a way to switch the 8.1 app store back to the 8.0 format. App discoverability seems to have actually gotten worse, I used to be able to browse categories for new apps that catch my eye but now I would have to do key word searches to find anything that isn't already at the top (and therefore apps I am already aware of). And to be honest my RT is my "lazy" consumption machine, I don't want to work very hard on my tablet, that's for my laptop.

Overall I like 8.1, especially on my laptop, but there are still some rough edges for the tablet.

Sergio The One

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Actually, you can just swipe down to get the app menu and you get the same categories as before with apps featured in subcategories which actually improve discoverability. :eek:rly:

mondokjm

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Swipe down from the top to bring up a list of categories. Once you select a category, tap on "New & Rising" "Top Paid" "Top Free" or "See All".
What kind of discoverability features is it missing for you?
I personally think the 8.1 store is superior in every way to the previous iteration.

jbigelow

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Well look at you guys making me look dumb, not too hard this time. :excited: If anyone is looking for me I'll be in the corner eating some crow. Thanks for tip!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Once they took away the * search to see total app count everything went to ****. the new presentation puts WAY too much emphasis on marquis apps THEY want you to see. geez it has been stuck on the Facebook spotlight since Thursday... kinda looks desperate really.

jbigelow

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Once they took away the * search to see total app count everything went to ****. the new presentation puts WAY too much emphasis on marquis apps THEY want you to see. geez it has been stuck on the Facebook spotlight since Thursday... kinda looks desperate really.

Agreed, MS should detect what I have installed and not show that (NFL, Weave, Twitter, etc...), and once they figure out I'm not interested in Facebook or Wheres my Water stop showing that too.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, MS should detect what I have installed and not show that (NFL, Weave, Twitter, etc...), and once they figure out I'm not interested in Facebook or Wheres my Water stop showing that too.

they can and do detect what you have installed cause you will see under Picks for You it will say "because you installed App blah blah"

this isn't brain surgery Microsoft...fix stupid crap like this!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte