Black Friday

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
So who is going to get a $199 Surface RT from best buy? I am going to a local Staples that shouldn't have any lines. Surface and touch cover $249.
I have quite a few friends who are now hot to get an RT after seeing what I can do with mine. Good call on going to Staples vs. Best Buy. The local Best Buy traditionally has 100+ people on line 12 hours before the store opens. Staples generally has about 30 people an hour before they open.

There is also the possibility of the RT appearing as a door-buster at other stores, like Walmart. Though that place is like Thunderdome every Black Friday. There's also the potential for it to be available at places that don't traditionally carry the RT. Like Radio Shack.

As a former owner, I wouldn't advise it. It is a great design that is simply underpowered.
As a current owner, I WOULD advise it with eyes wide open knowing the price, the limitations (of the performance) and the benefits (higher build quality than the Surface 2).

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I have quite a few friends who are now hot to get an RT after seeing what I can do with mine. Good call on going to Staples vs. Best Buy. The local Best Buy traditionally has 100+ people on line 12 hours before the store opens. Staples generally has about 30 people an hour before they open.

There is also the possibility of the RT appearing as a door-buster at other stores, like Walmart. Though that place is like Thunderdome every Black Friday. There's also the potential for it to be available at places that don't traditionally carry the RT. Like Radio Shack.

As a current owner, I WOULD advise it with eyes wide open knowing the price, the limitations (of the performance) and the benefits (higher build quality than the Surface 2).

My biggest issue is that web browsing with multiple tabs (esp more intensive sites) become slow and significantly worse than other tablets. For me, good browsing performance is a must with a tablet.

Functionality on it is great! It can do more then most tablets.

NJ1193

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
As a former owner, I wouldn't advise it. It is a great design that is simply underpowered.

I disagree. My RT (that I purchased for $200 on eBay) has been fantastic. It was REALLY sluggish a couple of weeks ago (even after the 8.1 update), and then I realized I had 200mb of free space left. Ordered a MicroSD card and that problem was solved - everything flies now.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
My biggest issue is that web browsing with multiple tabs (esp more intensive sites) become slow and significantly worse than other tablets. For me, good browsing performance is a must with a tablet.

Functionality on it is great! It can do more then most tablets.

I've had this trouble recently as well. A lot of (but not all) embedded YouTube videos stutter, many sites are very laggy, and going forward and back has always been terrible. I was on Motorola's MotoMaker site and it was almost unusable.

I don't know if the S2 resolves this.

Most things run fine once they are open, and switching apps is fast and fluid. But Office is slow. And the lag of opening things up can get to be annoying. I wouldn't buy another one, I'd spend the extra on the S2. At $200, it's a good value. But it's still expensive enough that you should consider buying what you really want. I've never had regrets when spending more for a better product. I always have regrets when I take the cheap route.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I have been reading about the Surface since they were announced. I have especially been paying attention to complaints. The Surface 2 would make more sense but I just can't afford it. Even the price of the RT I should pass on. Retirement sucks sometimes.

One of the merits of the RT is the finish. I like the black and I think the original maybe more durable. Scuff and scratch complaints with Surface 2 and I can't recall any with RT. I am not to worried about the speed. I can wait a bit for apps to load as long as they are not slow once loaded. Otherwise they are basically the same.

Oh I compared a Surface RT and a Pro side by side with the same hi res photo on the screens and I almost had to put my nose on the screens to make out the pixels on the RT. I have always been skeptical of the retina thing. Resolution is good but with in reason...............Calfee

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
To elaborate on the finish. I think the black model is anodized and the Surface 2 is clear coated. This would account for some of the scuffing complaints with respect to the Surface 2.

SmileyIQ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I am also trying to decide whether to pick one up from staples on BlackFriday. I have the original HP Envy 14 which has served me well but am looking to leave to country for the first half of next year and dont really need all the power of this laptop and could travel easier with a smaller package. My fear is that the Tegra 3 just isnt powerful enough and will lag. Everyone seems to complain about the lag. I use very basic apps on my laptop so if the browser is good and I can listen to music I will survive. I am just afraid about the lag.

Strings78

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I am also trying to decide whether to pick one up from staples on BlackFriday. I have the original HP Envy 14 which has served me well but am looking to leave to country for the first half of next year and dont really need all the power of this laptop and could travel easier with a smaller package. My fear is that the Tegra 3 just isnt powerful enough and will lag. Everyone seems to complain about the lag. I use very basic apps on my laptop so if the browser is good and I can listen to music I will survive. I am just afraid about the lag.

This is my biggest fear too. I really want to pick one up, and at these prices it's hard not to. But I don't want to regret spending $250 on a new tablet that lags

Bundalings

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If I can scrape the money together (I'm about to sell my PS3, so that should help) then definitely. I've been wanting a Surface for a while now, and finally I might be able to afford one.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I was comparing the Surface RT with the Surface 2 again last night at best buy. Today I think I am thinking a little clearer. Historically I am not a first round buyer. I always wait and wait and look and read to ad nauseam. One year ago I decided I would buy the RT if it was $350 maybe If $399 so $499 was a big fat no. Now I am undecided at $199 or less. I must be mental! We are not going to get a deal like this from MS again. They will not screw up the stock of Surface 2 and while we may see some price breaks in a year nothing like this is going to happen again for a while.

I am getting one from ebay if it works out or Staples if it doesn't.................calfee

rabilancia

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm a retired cost accountant and have always preached balancing cost with value. I apply that balancing to technology when my friends ask me which computer to buy by first asking: What do you plan to do with it? Followed immediately by recommending: "Get 6 month to 1 year old technology. You'll get better value!"

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
more black Friday deals. The deal from MS itself is good through Dec2.
Microsoft Stores: On 11/27 at 9:00pm PT you can get Surface starting at just $199! Free shipping is included. This deal will be available through 12/2 in Microsoft Stores and online.Best Buy: On 11/29 at 12:01am PST Surface starting at $199.
WalMart: Surface 32GB with a black Touch Cover will be available at Staples starting at just $249.
quoted from here. Calfee20, maybe you want to include that in your first post for everybody to see. Not necessary to start another thread since your OP already has the correct title.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999