Will the Surface RT be okay for me?

RyanKennedy

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm planning to get a new tablet soon, and with the holiday deal on the original surface ($280 all in) I was thinking about getting one. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything. The apps I most use on my 920/Kindle fire are:

1. Spotify
2. Facebook
3. 6tag
4. ESPN
5. Twitter
6. Baconit
7. Kindle (obviously)
8. The Economist
9. The New Yorker
10. Golf Digest
11. Harvard Business Review
12. Nokia MixRadio
13. MetroPaper (Pocket client)

I plan to use the Surface for all of those apps, plus Dropbox, Skydrive, and Office for debate, along with the built-in/Bing apps, and a few games. Will the original surface be a good fit for my needs? The last thing I really care about is decent battery... I need it to work from 6 in the morning until 10 at night (obviously not non-stop). Thanks!

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
There is not a replacement for all those apps but with IE11 you can just navigate to the actual websites and use that.

I have had a Surface RT for a year and I love it. I particularly enjoy battery life. I can take it with me most anywhere and never have to worry about taking the power adapter along. I haven't moved the power adapter in at least three months and the last time I did it was because I was traveling out of town for several days.

RyanKennedy

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
One more question: does the Surface RT have a true 'file explorer' or 'finder' like OSX or full Windows 8.1, where you can pick the target of where you want to save files?

pawdog

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
The Surface RT is very limited apps wise. For instance no Spotify or Harvard Business Review. There may be substitutes. The Windows store is still developing though.

You may need to look at one of the full Windows tablets like the Venue 11 Pro or even the Surface Pro.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
One last question: is the difference between the original Touch Cover and the Touch Cover 2 worth the extra $40?
I thought that the Touch Cover 1 was "ok" (I received it "free" in the bundle). I've heard that the Touch Cover 2 is significantly better. However, I would highly recommend that you consider the TYPE Cover 2. I recently bought one (purple) and I'm highly impressed that a keyboard cover that thin (extremely thin) can have actual keys with sufficient key-travel to make it quite enjoyable to type on.

The downside on all of the keyboard covers in my opinion is the trackpad... in particular the trackpad "buttons". Difficult to register accurately. I have resigned myself to using a bluetooth mouse for those extended typing sessions.

kalo88

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Apparently the touch cover 2 has far more sensors etc for accuracy and is back lit.

I tried one in store today, never used the original and whilst being weird for a little bit I got used to it quite quickly!

I just bought a surface 2 (64gb) today and it's due tomorrow :)

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Apparently the touch cover 2 has far more sensors etc for accuracy and is back lit.

I tried one in store today, never used the original and whilst being weird for a little bit I got used to it quite quickly!

The issue that I have with the touch cover (1 or 2) is how jarring it feels on the fingers. ("jarring" is too strong a word, maybe "unnatural" would be better) We are generally accustomed to a little "give" as we type... the resistance of the keys as the travel down help to absorb the impact (though slight) of our fingers hitting the keys.

With the Type Cover it is dramatically more comfortable. That little bit of key travel makes the difference.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

How much did you pay for the 64GB Suface 2?
Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs