surface pulls mobile sites

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Anyone notice since the 8.1 upgrade that the web browser pulls the mobile sites by default? How do you fix that?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
If you are feeling courageous, I can show you how to change the user agent string :cool:

WARNING: You need to modify registry to do this, but I'll try to make it as painless as possible :wink:

1. Start Notepad.exe
2. Paste the following into Notepad:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent]
@="Mozilla/5.0"
"Platform"="WOW64"
"Version"="Windows NT 6.3"

3. Save the file as "RT-user-agent-set.reg"
4. Double click the above file, and allow the following program to make changes to the registry.
5. Exit all instances of IE (or just reboot to make sure)
6. Go to any web site you know that always shows the mobile version, it should display the "normal" version. This will carry to either IE 11 App or Desktop Program.

Now, if you want to go back to the default user agent string in RT:
1. Open Notepad.exe
2. Paste the following into Notepad:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent]
@=""
"Platform"=-
"Version"=-

3. Save the file as "RT-user-agent-clear.reg"
4. Double click the file, and again allow it make changes to the registry.
5. Quit all instances of IE (or reboot just to make sure).
6. Go to any web site that shows the mobile version, and should be back to the mobile version. This will carry over to either the IE App or IE Desktop Program.

The reason I showed the process of creating .reg files, is that you can change back an forth with just a simple double click of a file. Just keep the files somewhere safe and easily accessible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6