File sharing over my home network

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I set up my RT to share a folder in my desktop. Everything went fine. I could go into my computer in the RT and follow the directory to the HDD of my desktop to access any files. Here is the problem if my desktop is shutdown when I open my computer in the RT it just freezes and I can't look at any files.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Try looking into running a file server software on your desktop. I run a media server on my. Similar concept. The service is always running even when the computer "sleeps".

Just a thought. Likely other sol'ns, as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

stlbud

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
You didn't say how you set up the folder. If you are using Windows 7 or Windows 8 on your desktop, the best solution seems to be to set up a Homegroup. It was easy to setup and works well for me.

I assume your shared folder is on your desktop computer and not on the RT. How do you "go into my computer in the RT..." Did you "Add a network place" or did you "Map Network Drive"?

If you mapped a drive, your RT will try to open the drive every time you turn it on. It will wait until the Network Drive is available. If your desktop computer is off, it can take several minutes before it gives up.

If you Added a network place, you RT will only try to open the drive when you intentionally click/touch the icon. It can try for several minutes before it gives up but should not lock up your RT while it is trying.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You didn't say how you set up the folder. If you are using Windows 7 or Windows 8 on your desktop, the best solution seems to be to set up a Homegroup. It was easy to setup and works well for me.

I have Win8 on the desktop and had 8.0 and now 8.1 on the RT. I did set up a home group. I did a bing search and followed this site for instructions: Windows 8 File Sharing: Share Users & System Folders On Network

I think I am going to setup a raid system in my desktop and have it serve double duty as a server or I may build a NAS. I have all the parts but the HDDs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05