Networking is my worst computer skill. I was pleased that I figured out how to connect my RT to my home group and share certain files from my desktop. Everything works great inside MY wifi bubble. How can I access my desktop from someone else's wifi? I have used remote desktop and it is ok but what I want is to just access data from my hard drive not control my whole desktop. My daughter told me about logmein https://secure.logmein.com/ but I was wondering if I am just missing how to do this with existing software and networking techniques.

All ideas are welcome, thanks............calfee
    01-07-2014 10:38 AM
    If you aren't experienced with networking, a program like logmein or gotomypc would be the best option for you.
    01-07-2014 10:40 AM
    You are probably right but is there even another option?
    01-07-2014 12:22 PM
    Yes, there are other options. Many corporations use Virtual Private Networks (VPN). VPN creates an encrypted tunnel from your computer to it's home network. When you are connected to your network via VPN, your computer behaves as though it were inside your house. You can access all network assets as though you were at home. That means you can use Remote Desktop.

This is the solution I use. I installed new software on my home router called DD-WRT, which will install an OpenVPN server on my home router. It works well, but it requires extra effort to get everything working initially, and I don't believe there is an OpenVPN client for Windows RT yet.
    01-08-2014 08:39 AM