Links in email client not clickable

BartMiller

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that the email client in Surface RT doesn't always render clickable links in emails. For example, if you subscribe to this forum and receive updates the emails sent will contain links that aren't clickable. However, on my Nokia Windows Phone the links work. Is this a known bug?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Is it some kind of spam filtering? E-mail clients will generally disable links in mails they consider to be spam, in case they are malicious.

BartMiller

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so. It's the built-in email client. The links are there but I have to copy and paste into IE instead of just clicking them. Very irritating. And it's not just emails from WPCentral forum. I've seen this with other emails too.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed this as well, and it is _VERY_ annoying. MS needs to get on this issue, email is too important for this sort of bug.

-E

rmeigs

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that the email client in Surface RT doesn't always render clickable links in emails. For example, if you subscribe to this forum and receive updates the emails sent will contain links that aren't clickable. However, on my Nokia Windows Phone the links work. Is this a known bug?

That would be annoying. Does it always happen in all emails?

I've not had the issue with my RT running 8.1. I just did a couple of test emails to and from my various email accounts and all the links were live. I don't recall seeing any option to turn this "feature" on/off, but there may be one.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I saw this happen recently when I sent someone a link from SkyDrive. When he got the email on his RT the link was not clickable. I thought that was very odd.

BartMiller

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
That would be annoying. Does it always happen in all emails?

I've not had the issue with my RT running 8.1. I just did a couple of test emails to and from my various email accounts and all the links were live. I don't recall seeing any option to turn this "feature" on/off, but there may be one.

It only happens for emails from certain senders... for example, WPCentral forum notification emails always have this problem. But the same emails render correctly in my Nokia Windows 8 phone email client and in the Gmail client.

Steve Owens

Feb 7, 2020
Visit site
Well I for one am going to go against the grain of all the people whining about not being able to click on links. As an enterprise security architect one of my biggest frustrations are enterprise email systems that do not make it possible to turn off clickable links (Outlook ahem). Clickable links are one of the greatest threats to enterprise security because no matter how much you train people not to click on links from emails they are not expecting, and no matter how much you train them to examine the link carefully the fact of the matter is that clickable links are like having a big red button next to your coffee cup that "Press Me" and if you do the world explodes.

If you cared about security or understood how vulnerable you are to exploitation through Pfishing then you would be demanding text only email with no active content.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss