Why do you still have an RT?

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I still use my RT because it still works for my personal use.

My main issue is Outlook continually chokes when I use it for work. Granted my .pst has thousands of items in it, but it is still disappointing and limits its usefulness. Would the S2's better specs cure this? I'm not sure.

My other issue is the reliance on IE11 for a browser. For that reason alone I probably won't buy another RT device. Since my RT still does what I need it to, and more importantly, since Microsoft continues to support it, I'm OK for now. If I were to buy another Windows tablet, it would probably be a Venue 8 because I don't need two 10" keyboard tablets.

RamboDroid

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Oh man, I am so torn... Background first. I haven't had any Windows devices since 2009. Just got a new job and use office 2013 all day and love it. Just sold my Nexus 7 and my MacBook Air. Need the cash and looking to move to a Surface. And therein lies the problem, question, or struggle..... which Surface do I get the Surface 2 or the Surface Pro. (not doing SRT or SPro2)
What I will use it for: Internet browsing, twitter, and tablet games (no pc gaming), Excel, Word, and some Outlook work. I have been an Android/Google guy since 2009 and I will not give up my LG G2 any time soon. So at first look you all would say got the Surface 2 but one biggish thing is my son like me to play Minecraft with him from time to time (once a week) therefore I lean to the Pro as I hear it can do that. Though I am somewhat tempted to do that on my work laptop PC... and hope not to get caught. Thought I don't fully know if that would be "out of bounds" after all the IT guy gave me a Admin login and password to install any apps I needed. Soooo basically I guess I'm here for you all to encourage me to just get the Surface RT or 2 I just worried about getting a "dumbed down" version of Windows.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering why others haven't moved on to an S2, 2520, other W8.1 tablet, iPad, Android, Chromebook etc. Or back to just a smartphone and/or laptop. Why stick w/RT?

Remember, the RT is an epic failure that nobody wanted or had any use for. ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I did jump from a Surface to a Surface 2. BSODs aside, I'm very glad I did. The leap in horsepower is all the difference to me. It wasn't so much that the Surface ran poorly or that it's a bad device. It was more like death by a thousand cuts. Scrolling through songs in Xbox Music. Slow page loading in the Windows Store. Apps taking just a few seconds too long to open. Web pages that would hang while the Tegra 3 flexed every muscle it had to render the page. Some people probably don't mind those extra seconds but I couldn't anymore. The Surface 2 is a lot faster and allows me to perform tasks quicker. I do think that NVIDIA is one mobile chip away from having a true breakthrough in mobile chips. In fact, I'm greatly anticipating Tegra's next mobile chip, the K1. Just look at the video demo.

If Microsoft gives me a Surface 3 with a K1 chip then it's a day one purchase.

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
..get the Surface 2 or the Surface Pro.
What I will use it for: Internet browsing, twitter, and tablet games (no pc gaming), Excel, Word, and some Outlook work. I have been an Android/Google guy since 2009 and I will not give up my LG G2 any time soon. So at first look you all would say got the Surface 2 but one biggish thing is my son like me to play Minecraft with him from time to time (once a week) therefore I lean to the Pro as I hear it can do that. .
Windows RT IS windows 8 in virtually all ways except for that it can run legacy apps. However, if playing Minecraft with your son is important to you, get the surface pro. Then you'll be able to play with him while on the go. :) just make sure to invest the money in a higher storage capacity model, you'll thank me in a year or so. You could get a refurb for cheap(er).

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Windows RT IS windows 8 in virtually all ways except for that it can't run legacy apps. However, if playing Minecraft with your son is important to you, get the surface pro. Then you'll be able to play with him while on the go. :) just make sure to invest the money in a higher storage capacity model, you'll thank me in a year or so. You could get a refurb for cheap(er).

Typo :wink:

ibenzawla

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
My Surface RT has almost replaced my Asus notebook and that tells you something. It is a very handy machine and can get things done. I think the mistake many people make is that they compare the RT to the IPad or other Android tablet and by doing so they fail to see the real benefit of this tablet. I used to be carried away by apps and specs but of late I have come to realize that there is a lot more to a tablet that having countless apps that I mostly don't use. That's why I came across the Lumia 521 (My main phone) and continue to stick with my RT. I do have complaints but not enough to force me to abandon it. So in sum it all depends on what you looking for. For me Windows appears to have unified my mobile needs for now.

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Windows RT IS windows 8 in virtually all ways except for that it can run legacy apps. However, if playing Minecraft with your son is important to you, get the surface pro. Then you'll be able to play with him while on the go. :) just make sure to invest the money in a higher storage capacity model, you'll thank me in a year or so. You could get a refurb for cheap(er).

Actually, Windows RT is Windows 8 in every sense. RT can run legacy apps. It's fully capable, Microsoft just disabled the feature, but there are ways to enable it. Why do you think Office, and Internet Explorer work on the desktop? The only problem is for any desktop programs to work on RT, they need to be recompiled for ARM processors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte