Why do you still have an RT?

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering why others haven't moved on to an S2, 2520, other W8.1 tablet, iPad, Android, Chromebook etc. Or back to just a smartphone and/or laptop. Why stick w/RT?

Remember, the RT is an epic failure that nobody wanted or had any use for. ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

gerke

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It is my main machine. The things I can't do with the RT I do with remote apps which are on my server. No need to switch. Best thing I bougth with my money ever

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

whoswhoo

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I still have it because it isn't worth enough to sell and it still does an okay job with everything I need it for. Just a little slower than I would like, but its not terrible enough for me to go out and buy something else.

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm with whoswho. I bought my RT used on CL for 200 and a type cover for 80 last Sept. before the Surface 2 was available. Overall I've been very pleased with it. Coming from iPad mini and various Android tablets, even though I am glad I made the switch, I still miss some specific apps. One that comes to mind is wunderlist, given that they don't have a WP8 or RT app yet, I for sure thought that I'd be able to utilize IE11 and log in via their web UI. nope. no dice. I have considered moving to the S2 mostly due to the overall lag on the S1 but can't recoup enough cost to make the upgrade worth it yet.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm with whoswho. I bought my RT used on CL for 200 and a type cover for 80 last Sept. before the Surface 2 was available. Overall I've been very pleased with it. Coming from iPad mini and various Android tablets, even though I am glad I made the switch, I still miss some specific apps. One that comes to mind is wunderlist, given that they don't have a WP8 or RT app yet, I for sure thought that I'd be able to utilize IE11 and log in via their web UI. nope. no dice. I have considered moving to the S2 mostly due to the overall lag on the S1 but can't recoup enough cost to make the upgrade worth it yet.
i am able to log into the wunderlist site without issue. I even created a shortcut tile for it.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I love my Surface 2. Does absolutely everything I need. I don't miss desktops programs on a tablet. Just looking forward to broader app support.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Are you talking "why do people still have their original first Gen Surface RT?" ...or "why do people still use Windows RT in general"??? Because if the latter, I can assure you RT is not dead, but quite the opposite. RT is the future! It's the OS most likely to be merged with Windows Phone and it's all we're going to need in the near future where the desktop isn't needed (or wanted in a mobile/touch interface). Windows RT has come a long way. 8.1 brought many improvements along with the new gen ARM hardware.

I won a Surface 2 with the Music Kit (Win RT 8.1) and I absolutely love it! It does everything I want it to do right out of the box. I can watch all my HD movies/videos from any shared folder on any pc on my network (even .mkv files with an app), listen to all my music, view any website with ie11, read and compose all my emails, and open and edit any office documents with Outlook, Onenote and the Office RT apps (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)

I can also control all the other PCs on my network via Desktop Remote or the PC Remote app flawlessly.
Uhmm what else is there? Running desktop legacy x86 applications? ...Got news for ya, you can't run those legacy applications on an iPad either!

Windows RT is a perfect tablet OS! Fantastic!

vaultsurvivor

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Ive got one because it does everything I need. Ive had android tabs in the past (people say RT is laggy lol!?), and for some reason my employer has decided ipads are the future, and I just love how much more I can do with the surface! I do love using mine at work (office!!), and the native flash is a godsend (and it behaves itself, unlike the android versions). Sure there's a few apps Id like to see (webex and a WPCentral app), but most can be done with IE! All in all, for the price you can pick one up now... Why not!? However, I would probably only recommend one to someone fairly tech savvy, who understands what you can/cant do pretty well. Although you can explain most of it with "just avoid the desktop and you'll be fine".

rmeigs

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
It does everything I need well. The Surface 2 isn't enough of an improvement to spend the dollars to upgrade; only if we had an eight inch version would I be tempted.

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
i am able to log into the wunderlist site without issue. I even created a shortcut tile for it.

no luck for me, not reliably anyway. I can't log in when using the metro IE. Log on window launches then goes into an endless loop back to the log in screen after entering credentials. Next, I try with IE on the desktop. Page launches, then every time, it asks if I want to download a Java runtime script, then errors out. After multiple refreshes it allows me to log in. Then I pin to my metro desktop, navigate to metro, launch and starts the whole process over again.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm with others who enjoy the Surface features over other tablets, but can't cost-justify an S2 or 2520 upgrade. I just put my Nexus 7 on craigslist. I rarely use it after getting my RT on Black Friday. Yeah, I'll get another Android tablet later this year. There's a lot of interesting rumors floating around. That's the device-wh0re in me. But I'm happy with my RT and will likely wait for a 3rd gen Surface or for the whole WP8/RT unification thing flesh out before considering an upgrade.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I wish I can buy one, I can only find the s1 here in Riyadh, I can't think of a resin to buy an s1 sense the s2 is out. The s2 is better on every aspect.

seangprice

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I love my SRT. I got the 64gb right after black Friday with keyboard for 279@ WalMart. I rarely use my MacBook pro now that I can do all my work on the tablet. I'll upgrade when a S3 or wp8/rt merged device is released.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos